Cops, thugs, dojo students, mercenaries

pawsplay

8 hours ago, pawsplay said:

What's the best 6e source for general combatants who aren't heroes or villains?

The GM.  Most of these are agents.  The agents made in most supplements are one character sheet fits all these mooks. 

The best agent or second tiered villains I've had are using a generic template for a brick or some such and then during play, I just come up with a power or personality quirk on the fly.  If the character is well received, after the game, I write up a full sheet for them.

I know you want 6e, but there really isn't much to pull from there: tons of rulebooks, a couple of "complete" games (champions and Fantasy HERO) and MHI, then I think the company just fell out of money.  However, if you're willing to do some fairly simple conversions, you might consider some of the 4e material, particularly that which relates to Dark Champions, or 5e material-- there was a lot of "not supers" stuff for 5e that would take almost no conversion beyond re-pricing the stats to the new scheme.

I know; it's not what you're looking for, but it's something.  

37 minutes ago, pawsplay said:

I have Champions Complete. Maybe there are more in other books?

Lately because I’ve been powering down said agents, I’ve been using Notable and Skilled Normals as templates for what you are asking about. I do have agent example but for official ones, they’re scattered among different sources and editions. Let me ask you this, how powerful do you want them compared to your heroes and how much detail do you want? Btw I’d be glad to help you write up some.

2 hours ago, Hugh Neilson said:

What example characters (non-Supers) are in Champions Complete?

Average People. You get Small Child, Senior Citizen, Average Person, Noteworthy Normal, Skilled Normal, and Competent Normal.  You could also choose to replace their skill sets with the Templates for a Policeman, a Child of the Streets, or an Atlantean. So if I need a Skilled Atlantean Policeman, I'm pretty well covered. Or if a I want a Small Child of the Streets.

46 minutes ago, pawsplay said:

Average People. You get Small Child, Senior Citizen, Average Person, Noteworthy Normal, Skilled Normal, and Competent Normal.  You could also choose to replace their skill sets with the Templates for a Policeman, a Child of the Streets, or an Atlantean. So if I need a Skilled Atlantean Policeman, I'm pretty well covered. Or if a I want a Small Child of the Streets.

Sounds similar to 6e.  I find it a bit of an issue in that "skilled" sounds better than "competent", but "skilled" is 50 points and "competent" is 100.

They are also clearly rising in combat ability, so a "skilled normal" has CV of 4, and "competent" has CV of 5.  A "skilled" or "competent" scientist might look very different (but then, do I really need their combat stats?). 

Normals Unbound was a 4e book, but it's still around.  "This is a book of normals. In other words, the Enemies book for your secret ID! Between the covers of Normals Unbound you will find men, women, and children with powers and abilities to affect the life of a hero more profoundly than any destructive energy blast from Mechanon ever could. These are people who cannot be dealt with by simply slugging it out with them or blasting them with a neutron beam. The hero must use his head and his heart in meeting the challenges these normals present."  $5 in the Online store, but I'm not sure it has a lot of combatants.

I think you could build combatants pretty easily from the Average, Noteworthy, Skilled and Competent templates if you repurposed some skill points into weapon familiarities or even skill levels and gave them gear equal to their point totals - 50 points of gear should cover a handgun (.44 automag 2d6 KA 10 RP), a nightstick (baton; 3d6 HA; 9 RP) and 6 PD/ED Soft Body Armor (10 RP for full coverage OIF Real Armor).  That's 26 points - not close to 50.  100 for a Competent Normal would give him SuperAgent weapons and armor. 

On 2/26/2020 at 8:47 AM, pawsplay said:

What's the best 6e source for general combatants who aren't heroes or villains?

Ok for $1 go to the Store and under Dark Champions there is a PDF by Steve Long which up dates Templates from 5e Dark Champions to 6e. I believe it has 7 Templates. There are military, police and at least one mafia template. Now these templates are basically just skill sets so you would still need to at a minimum attach them to a Normal Person for stats. And of course you can adjust the stats too.  Did I mention that it is a $1? 

9 hours ago, pawsplay said:

I'm looking at 5e Champions Universe and it has stats for minions of most of the major organizations. I'm guessing 6e Champions Universe might have that, too.

Essentially true, but 6E Champions Universe doesn't include Teleios, hence no stats for his cloned soldiers. That's all in Champions Villains Volume One: Master Villains.

CV1 is probably your most concentrated 6E source for agent-level combatants for Champions. Besides Teleios's creations, the entries for several other masterminds in that book include fully-statted minions at that level, e.g. Baron Nihil, Doctor Destroyer, Istvatha V'han, King Cobra, and the Warlord.