Darkness question

sturmrider

Hi guys,

Quick question on darkness the description says it emanates from a target and doesn't move. What happens if you are on a cruise ship and the target is the pool on the deck does the darkness stay over the pool as the boat moves? Or as the boat moves does the darkness remain behind till eventually it is over the sea? 

As a GM, I'd probably let the darkness stay with the ship, unless the special effects say otherwise*. It fits better in the way that I envision the scene. Likewise, if someone created darkness in one of the ship's hallways, I'd assume that it stayed in place relative to the local environment, even if the entire ship were moving. 

*Darkness created by a smoke grenade might be dissipated faster above decks on a moving vessel from the effects of wind, while a magical area of darkness probably wouldn't. As a GM, it's fully in your purview to alter power effects or duration to fit the environment and the logic of the story. Think of the rules as more of a set of guidelines that gives a framework for resolving contests, but also remember that they can be altered as needed for the enjoyment of the GM and players, and for dramatic sense.

Barbossa: First, your return to shore was not part of our negotiations nor our agreement so I must do nothing. And secondly, you must be a pirate for the pirate's code to apply and you're not. And thirdly, the code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules. Welcome aboard the Black Pearl, Miss Turner!

I think a good rule of thumb is that the darkness field remains attached to whatever you put it on, so long as the thing is larger than the darkness field.  If the Darkness field is larger than the whole ship, then it doesn't move with the ship, but stays in one area of the sea.  Just like if you cause Darkness in one area of the surface of a planet, it moves along with the planet's rotation and revolution.