Hero Designer?

Shiva13

• 1 month later...
On 3/3/2020 at 10:00 AM, unclevlad said:

IIRC, it's been noted that there are no plans to do it at this point.  The rules are *seriously* different, at the detail level.  By the same token, in many ways they're quite a bit simpler, so a spreadsheet could probably be created to assist, without too much trouble.  

I want to see that spreadsheet.

astral:  That's a start, yeah.  Michael, to your question:  looks like you need to save it.  Mine says "Comment only"...so it's not editable.  Then for 6d STR, it's column C.

I did one for 3E, ages ago.  LONG gone.  Handled ECs and MPPs.  Not sure I included VPPs;  I don't think so, as I don't think I needed them.  For a coarse, "some manual work required" spreadsheet, you need a core function that takes base points, total advantages and total limitations and spits out the final point cost.  If you want to go fancier, you need code.  I've got much of this done in Java...there's only 29 powers, 20 advantages, and 14 limitations, and they fall into only a few patterns.  Skills and characteristics are short and simple.  Not a trivial exercise but not that hard to get it to work.  I'm actually trying to get as fully integrated as I can, so for example adding a power updates total character point costs AND character ratios.  That's a bit of a trip.

3 hours ago, Pariah said:

Is it bad that I'm haivng fun just doing it with pencil and paper (and a calculator, of course)?

No, it's fantastic! And pretty close to what the designed had in mind -- streamlining things to the player doesn't need software to do it.

I prefer to have software, but I admit there are many times when I use a spreadsheet simply for formatting.

Well, for grins, I took astral's sheet and did a few things.  Note that it's now an ODS file;  I did it in LibreOffice, but OpenOffice should work fine too.  They're both free.  It probably should import into Excel too, and probably Sheets, altho you'll maybe have to tweak things.

--reorganized, hopefully with plenty of room for power and situation descriptions

--second sheet for an expanded powers spec...the power, the adders, advantages, limitations.  Cost fields for each, and it will do the final CP cost for you.

(Power Cost + Adder Cost) * (1 + Total Adv) / (1 + Total Lim)

--I set it up for 14 powers and situations.  Obviously, a second page for more powers/specs wouldn't be hard to incorporate.  ECs and Multipowers...I'd include the framework as a power on its own line, then just format the text for the powers contained therein.  Or, work on some additional pages.  Don't forget to include those in the Powers total cost summary field.

Threw in some notes as well.  It's printable for me...I set the margins and tweaked the sizes so the Summary is 1 page, and the Powers Details is 1 page.  YMMV.  

Character Creation.ods

BTW:  with Resistant Def, astral used a construction of "Total Def (Def), with X Resistant (Resistant Def)" .  My total def is KO Def + Resistant Def.  Take your pick.  The only tweak is whether it's 4x the listed resistant Def (converting KO Def to Resistant) or 5x.  It's the same thing, just as long as you recognize what you're doing.

If there's a strong preference for how astral did it, I can obviously tweak the sheet, and there should be room to fit in some sort of option, over on the right side.

6 hours ago, unclevlad said:

If there's a strong preference for how astral did it

I did it that way so you only have to look at one number to know your total defense vs. either damage type. YMMV. I left a note in the sheet that was hopefully clear about what was going on, since it was ambiguous.