Western Hero 6th edition

Christopher R Taylor

On 4/25/2020 at 12:00 PM, steriaca said:

Anyone have any suggestions for fictional gunslingers to add on my list?

Quigley from Quigley Down Under

Ethan Chandler from Penny Dreadful

Allan Quatermain from League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Roland Deschain from Dark Tower

Roy Bean from The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean

Preacher from Pale Rider

Will Kane from High Noon

Should get you started.

From the 1969 western novel Yellow Back Radio Broke-Down

The Loop Garoo Kid - an African-American cowboy who is a houngan.

Drag Gibson - an influential landowner, a blatant racist with no regard for human life, who has a habit of killing his wives when he's tired of them.

Chief Showcase - last surviving member of his tribe who tries to stir up trouble between the Federal government and greedy landowners in a "last strike" effort to get his revenge. Presumably that isn't his given name but he's pointed to by the government as a tame Indian because he's literate and corresponds with politicians and newspaper editors.

6 hours ago, HeroGM said:

John Byrne did an issue of Alpha Flight [#19] where they go back to the old west. A bit of magic and such - maybe more pulp then anything else possibly.

I remember Alpha Flight from back before Marvel stopped producing comics.  I really enjoyed the series.

IIRC they shuttered their doors in the mid 90s.  I've always thought it sad that comics no longer exist.

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, HeroGM said:

Any word on release date/price yet?

I am really looking forward to this. 

All the recent games I've run in the old west have been Down Darker Trails, which were well received.  I'd love a Hero version I could tweak into horror 😈

6 minutes ago, Sicarius said:

Is that the chaosium coc game. 

Yes, CoC 7th edition.

Up front it is horror, but I have always found it to be super easy to run it without the horror component.  My version of CoC incorporates the modified version of GUMSHOE's investigative system. Which I also use in Hero. 

1 hour ago, Sicarius said:

That sounds good especially cause I don't know if you're allowed to shoot whooping savages anymore😃

Once upon a time we played a lot of boot Hill and had a lot of fun

I ran a DDT one-shot on Halloween.  It was non-mythos horror.  The players were part of a half section of cavalry plus the sheriff and posse. They were pursuing a warparty after they had raided the local town.

When they finally cornered the warparty they discovered the only part that was Apache were the skins......:sneaky:

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/10/2021 at 7:58 AM, HeroGM said:

Yosemite Sam and Jonah Hex crossover with Forghorn Leghorn as "Rooster Cogburn"

08_1.jpg

Yep. That's a thing now. DC Universe/Looney Tune or Hanna-Barbara crossovers. Suicide Squad and The Banana Splits. Scooby Doo Team Up comic. Daffy Duck as a Joker henchman for a bit.

6 hours ago, steriaca said:

Yep. That's a thing now. DC Universe/Looney Tune or Hanna-Barbara crossovers. Suicide Squad and The Banana Splits. Scooby Doo Team Up comic. Daffy Duck as a Joker henchman for a bit.

The Daffy/Joker one was great

23 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

If I could have, I'd have released the book with a soundtrack.  That can't happen so I did the next best thing; I put bits of song lyrics at the beginning of each main section and put together a playlist on Youtube

I hope you didn't go overboard. That was one big issue with some.of the 6th books was the amount of space the quotes took. As much as I loved the Strike Force some of it seemed wasted due to padding.

Well there are copyright issues, so I could only put a few lines in, and only at the beginning of chapters, basically.  So nah, not very much space, because every page raises the price and I want the book to be a reasonable purchase.  The only real padding might be the art, but I think it breaks up long text sections and helps the mood.