Coronavirus

Steve

3 hours ago, Cygnia said:

An argument could be made about putting this in the Police Brutality thread...

Florida sheriff forbids staff, visitors from wearing masks

He's up for election in November but there's no one on file with the county supervisor of elections office as running against him. He appears to have over $55,000 in available campaign funds.

But if you'd like to contact the sheriff to complain about his insanity, the email address:

www.MarionSO.com 

2 hours ago, Pariah said:

How I got to be where I am today--i.e., in a school building that I'll be sharing with 2,200 teenagers in just over a week.

Politicians and Business Interests Pushed Health Officials Aside to Control Reopening. Then Cases Exploded.

We really, really need to reopen schools. So we're asking reality to make one tiny compromise. It's not like we're asking for no more global warming. Just enough Covid relief that we can get the kids off our back and onto teacher's back, where they belong. 

Late to shut down, first to reopen, Georgia reports its highest daily death toll

As of Thursday, more than 80 students and staff in Cherokee County School District had tested positive for the virus since schools reopened Aug. 3, and nearly 1,400 students and dozens of staff were in quarantine. Nearby Paulding and Gwinnett counties have also seen outbreaks

1 hour ago, Lawnmower Boy said:

We really, really need to reopen schools. So we're asking reality to make one tiny compromise. It's not like we're asking for no more global warming. Just enough Covid relief that we can get the kids off our back and onto teacher's back, where they belong. 

Getting kids off of parents' backs and onto teacher's backs for four weeks then having hundreds of thousands of students, parents, and teachers sick with COVID-19 and the schools closed for the rest of the year isn't what we need.

2 cents

29 minutes ago, archer said:

Getting kids off of parents' backs and onto teacher's backs for four weeks then having hundreds of thousands of students, parents, and teachers sick with COVID-19 and the schools closed for the rest of the year isn't what we need.

2 cents

But it's what we're going to get.  Along with a whole lot of desperate, ANGRY people.

Just now, Old Man said:

The teachers’ union here is suing to keep schools online only until the pandemic ends, and a large number have simply retired rather than wait to see how the lawsuit turns out. I don’t blame them for a minute. 

As someone who teaches (admittedly college) and who turned 64 a month ago, I have been considering retirement ahead of my previously intended schedule.

3 hours ago, Lawnmower Boy said:

When Lady P and I got married, we naturally planned on having kids.

We didn't plan on having 200 of them.

1 hour ago, Cancer said:

As someone who teaches (admittedly college) and who turned 64 a month ago, I have been considering retirement ahead of my previously intended schedule.

I'll turn 62 shortly.  I retired several years ago;  felt I had to, mentally, and felt I had to.  Plus, that was when I had to start making some significant changes, like shave 200 points off my blood sugar.  

Now?  If I was in a reasonable retirement position from almost any job that required significant public contact, and thus, created a fairly high risk...retirement would have to be front and center among my options moving forward.  I might say OK...if in a university, if the university lets me bar any student from my classroom if not wearing a mask full-time, and if trying to lecture in a mask actually works OK.  And maybe more...I wouldn't feel comfortable for myself or the students, if there's 25-30 of us crammed into a typical-sized classroom.

42 minutes ago, death tribble said:

Britain is putting in restrictions on certain countries so people are racing back to the country.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53782019

I have no problem with the notion;  their measure seems way too tight tho.  An automatic quarantine requirement kicks in if case numbers exceed 20 per 100,000 people...but it's not per day, that's over a week.  So per day that's 1 per 35,000.

2 hours ago, Cancer said:

The real bar to me retiring is my daughter.  Children of full-time employees have their tuition waived.  It's a golden handcuffs arrangement for me.

Yeah, that's a rough one. My wife as a public school teacher was allowed to take our children to the schools in her district for free rather than have them stuck in the substandard schools in the adjacent city where we actually live. That kept her stuck in a district where she was over-worked in comparison to what she would have experienced elsewhere and where the district routinely ignored both state laws and the union contract (right to work state where teacher unions and union contracts are a joke to start with).

The district's philosophy is that the teachers are like Kleenex, to be used up and disposed of: intentionally work them to death then hire new teachers next year if that's what it takes.

Now that's generally done in ways that benefit the students, which is why it was a hell of a school district for your kids to attend. But it was hell on employees.

My wife is retired now so I haven't bothered to see what they're doing this school year. But whatever it is, I'm sure it provides maximum virus exposure for the teachers and wants kids with butts in their seats in order to make sure they can pass state-mandated standardized testing in the spring.