Coronavirus

Steve

5 hours ago, Old Man said:

FiveThirtyEight has updated their coronavirus prediction model roundup.

Note that all but one of these models assumes that shelter-in-place/social distancing measures are kept constant.

Oregon Death Toll stands at 109. Not sure how long we've been counting, though, or what we expected to find when we started out.

Oregon has opened up "elective" medical procedures such as colonoscopies. This may not be the ideal time to get one, though. Of course, some people need to get their heads examined, and the only way to do it is a -- oh, never mind.

Hmm, saw somewhere WHO claims it is natural in origin, while National Enquirer (last time I went foraging for groceries) claimed something about it being Chinese bioweapon gotten loose.

Sadly, I never thought I be inclined to believe the Enquirer between those 2. :unsure:

Note: I don't mean to be a conspiracy nut,  and I hate to hand Trump anything at all (though no calls for calling it Chinese virus like an idiot from me, and I wouldn't say bioweapon as that implies intent, when I figure the naïve or imcompetent mishandle accident is the best bet).  But, this is the 4th time in under 20 years, a nutty disease got unleashed from specifically China.  Fool me once shame on me, fool me 4 times and I need to be committed.  The WHO might be asking a lot out of me, to trust the Chinese gov't.  

I can't trust the WHO who ignored information from Taiwan about how contagious it was and then was, days later, still telling us there's no evidence of person-to-person transmission.

Have you guys seen the interview with the reporter who asks about Taiwan?  First the WHO guy pretends he can't hear her.  Then he hangs up.  Then she gets him back on the call and asks about Taiwan again and he responds with something along the lines of, "We've already covered that.  Let's move on.".

Actual brief non-interview below.  It is chilling.

1 hour ago, ScottishFox said:

I can't trust the WHO who ignored information from Taiwan about how contagious it was and then was, days later, still telling us there's no evidence of person-to-person transmission.

Have you guys seen the interview with the reporter who asks about Taiwan?  First the WHO guy pretends he can't hear her.  Then he hangs up.  Then she gets him back on the call and asks about Taiwan again and he responds with something along the lines of, "We've already covered that.  Let's move on.".

Actual brief non-interview below.  It is chilling.

So you're saying you Won't Get Fooled Again by The Who?

7 hours ago, Badger said:

Hmm, saw somewhere WHO claims it is natural in origin, while National Enquirer (last time I went foraging for groceries) claimed something about it being Chinese bioweapon gotten loose.

Sadly, I never thought I be inclined to believe the Enquirer between those 2. :unsure:

There are two major arguments against a lab release.

1. A bioweapon would have been developed from a known infectious agent, rather than a random virus.
  2. If the virus had been studied in a lab, there would be research material on it (at least raw data). The lack of such material indicates that the virus was not from a lab.

If this motive is true, we're screwed... frown.png

Police probe shooting of Flint security guard in confrontation over mask at Family Dollar

Michigan State Police 1st Lt. David Kaiser said Sunday that detectives are investigating a flood of reports on social media from people who say the violence sparked when the guard told a customer he had to wear a mask, a policy set forth by Gov. Gretchen Whitmer to help curb the spread of the coronavirus

Our office reopened today.  Fortunately we've got plenty of room, we can maintain a 6 foot distance really easily.  Downtown here is dead, and the phones aren't ringing, but I guess the boss didn't want to pay us to sit at home anymore.  It's a huge stress reliever to be able to get back to some semblance of normalcy.  I've been worried that our office just wouldn't reopen, so sitting here at my desk (even with nothing to do) makes me feel better.

Although I do have to say, I did sort of get to have my ideal vacation.  My wife has been pushing me to take some time off for like the last six months.  And while she wanted to go somewhere, I would have preferred to just stay at home, watch TV, and relax.  Well I got my wish.  I know some people are going stir crazy, but introvert that I am, if it wasn't for the money issue I'd have been perfectly happy to stay home for another month or two.  I really am one of those people who could stay in the cabin for a year for five million dollars.

12 hours ago, Matt the Bruins said:

My first one is scheduled for this summer, and I'm really more than fine with putting it off six months or so. Or more, if need be.

Don't wait too long if you can avoid it. Colonoscopies are unpleasant (especially the preparation process, which I will not go into here) but necessary once you reach a certain age.  It's about the only way to catch gthe signs of some really nasty stuff before it causes problems that can't be fixed. In my case, they found quite a few polyps -- and some polyps become cancer. Mine haven't, and were removed without incident during the procedure, but they did raise a bit of a red flag.

I was talking with a doctor who performs colonoscopies yesterday, in fact, and he is very reluctant to go back to work performing the procedures at present.

3 minutes ago, massey said:

I really am one of those people who could stay in the cabin for a year for five million dollars.

I'd do it out of convenience if the internet was good enough and the deliveries were reliable.  Getting 5 million dollars would be like getting paid to breathe.  I was going to do that anyway.

12 minutes ago, massey said:

I know some people are going stir crazy, but introvert that I am, if it wasn't for the money issue I'd have been perfectly happy to stay home for another month or two.  I really am one of those people who could stay in the cabin for a year for five million dollars.

The longer this pandemic goes on, the more I am convinced that introversion is a full-blown superpower akin to immunity to fear or mind control.

11 hours ago, Badger said:

Note: I don't mean to be a conspiracy nut,  and I hate to hand Trump anything at all (though no calls for calling it Chinese virus like an idiot from me, and I wouldn't say bioweapon as that implies intent, when I figure the naïve or imcompetent mishandle accident is the best bet).  But, this is the 4th time in under 20 years, a nutty disease got unleashed from specifically China.  Fool me once shame on me, fool me 4 times and I need to be committed.  The WHO might be asking a lot out of me, to trust the Chinese gov't.  

You don't have to be a conspiracy nut to think that China is extremely dangerous and uses their influence in ways we should not be comfortable with.  Whether this is an escaped lab experiment, or just a natural disease that came out of their wet markets, I think it's safe to say that they are cutting a lot of corners when it comes to health and safety.

Personally I think this is a good time for the United States to re-evaluate our relationship with China.  Allegedly some of their officials made comments about "we might not be able to export antibiotics to other countries" in a very threatening kind of way.  It may be time to start moving a lot of manufacturing back home.

10 minutes ago, massey said:

It may be time to start moving a lot of manufacturing back home.

Those who believe in such a sentiment will be fighting politicians, corporations and a hearty chunk of the populace (we do love our cheaply produced and priced junk, after all).

23 minutes ago, Ragitsu said:

Those who believe in such a sentiment will be fighting politicians, corporations and a hearty chunk of the populace (we do love our cheaply produced and priced junk, after all).

Oh yeah, without a doubt.  A lot of it is going to depend on how serious the economic consequences of Coronavirus happen to be.  If we just rack up a bunch of government debt, but by next year the economy has mostly recovered?  There probably won't be that much motivation to change things.  It would be easy enough for people to chalk it up as a once-in-a-lifetime natural disaster and just move on.  But if we've got 30% unemployment and people are losing their houses?  If half the restaurants in town are shut down forever?  There might be a lot of people hunting for jobs who'd be chomping at the bit to work at a factory or something like that.  The bigger the impact from this virus, the more changes we're going to see one way or the other.

I'm normally all about free trade, but this is potentially becoming a national security issue.  It doesn't make sense to have such glaring vulnerabilities, all in the name of cheap junk.

6 minutes ago, massey said:

There might be a lot of people hunting for jobs who'd be willing to work at a factory or something like that.  The bigger the impact from this virus, the more changes we're going to see one way or the other.

It certainly does not help matters that the efficiency and ubiquity of automation steadily rises with no signs of slowing down.

Just now, Ragitsu said:

It certainly does not help matters that the efficiency and ubiquity of automation steadily rises with no signs of slowing down.

Depends what your goal is.  I think the United States needs to make a strategic decision to bring key manufacturing centers back onto US soil.  It doesn't matter if they're 100% crewed by robots, it's becoming clear (to me anyway) that we need that stuff under our physical control.

Employment is a secondary concern, but still important.  You'd create some amount of jobs here by moving factories back, even if it wasn't as many jobs as you'd have had back in the '50s.  As always, these issues are incredibly complex.

1 hour ago, massey said:

Personally I think this is a good time for the United States to re-evaluate our relationship with China.  Allegedly some of their officials made comments about "we might not be able to export antibiotics to other countries" in a very threatening kind of way.  It may be time to start moving a lot of manufacturing back home.

If nothing else I think life-saving medication should be on a short-list of things we bring back in house.

2 minutes ago, death tribble said:

Four European countries each have 1/10 of the total deaths from the virus. America has over 1/4 of the total deaths and about 1/3 of the total cases.

Population of America:  328 million - 67,913 deaths

Population of Italy: 60 million - 29,079 deaths

Population of Spain: 47 million -  25,264 deaths

Population of France: 67 million - 24,900 deaths

Population of UK: 66.6 million (satan!) - 28,808 deaths

Population of Germany: 83 million - 6,866 deaths

Population of the 5 European countries is still less than that of America (328 vs 323).

Total Deaths in Europe is much higher (so far) at 114,917 vs. 67,913.

Deaths per million population:

America: 207.05

Italy: 484.65

Spain: 537.53

France: 371.64

Germany: 82.72  (What are they doing?)