Coronavirus

Steve

2 hours ago, assault said:

I wonder what kind of tornado season you will get?

Hurricane season has been interesting the last few years.

Maybe some earthquakes, a volcanic eruption or two...

Already had a 5.7 and about 1,200 aftershocks here, thanks.

4 hours ago, assault said:

I wonder what kind of tornado season you will get?

I can answer that as a resident of Jonesboro AR. In March an EF-3 tornado touched down in the middle of our city, leveled our airport and collapsed part of our mall. In terms of property damage it's the worst we've had since 1973, though thankfully no lives were lost.

I'll say this after today's Costco run.

The meat department is decimated.  There was a modicum of chicken, but pork and beef were all but gone.  The cuts of beef that were available (round, stew meat, etc.) were dramatically lower quality cuts than are typically available.

The idea of people running out of food for an illness that's clocking in at a hot 2.7 deaths per 100,000 is no bueno.

where does the 2.7 deaths per 100, 000 come from? 

That is probably 100 times lower than the low end mainstream estimate.  I do not think that it will be 1% mortality, I think it may be substantively less.

However, people are calculating in a number of different ways.  Go look for David Speigelhaulter talking the statistics.  He is very understandable.

What is true is that in America on 6 May 2019 - 2500 people died of COVID-19.  That, since the first death, an average of 912 people have died EVERY day.

The September 11 attacks killed 3000 people on US soil which triggered the biggest change of western society in my lifetime - the security lockdown, the checks at airports etc the infringement of freedoms, data and movement were immense and we went to war several times over it.

The US is seeing a casualty rate equivalent to the September 11 attacks every day right now.  And you think that having an impact on food availability is too much to consider?

Doc

10 hours ago, ScottishFox said:

The idea of people running out of food for an illness that's clocking in at a hot 2.7 deaths per 100,000 is no bueno.

It's not really a production issue but a preparation issue as far as I am aware.

It's also much more likely to be close to a hot 1000 per 100000 deaths if quarantine wasn't in effect, mostly due to absurdly good transmission.

I guess the point I'm (and others) are making is you are equivocating the wrong things.  You are arguing that the virus isn't deadly because it hasn't infected a lot of people, so we should relax the extreme measures we are taking to prevent it from infecting people.  That's a reasonable argument for certain areas.

But you are arguing it with a statistic that comes only from those extreme measures.  So it's a nonsensical reason you are proposing for your argument.

6 minutes ago, TrickstaPriest said:

I guess the point I'm (and others) are making is you are equivocating the wrong things.  You are arguing that the virus isn't deadly because it hasn't infected a lot of people, so we should relax the extreme measures we are taking to prevent it from infecting people.

"We're falling really slowly, so it's safe to take off the parachute.  The harness is really chafing my nads."