Coronavirus

Steve

4 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Clearly I need one of these.

It was a birthday present from my sister-in-law more than ten year back.  She was office staff for a local outfit that made that kind of thing (their main business was the custom pet tags), so it was a custom thing made by an insider.  Nowadays ... I assume a 3-D printer could whomp the parts up pretty quick.

So, our governor relaxed the restrictions effective today, somewhat.  Retailers are allowed to reopen, but at max 25% of capacity.  Also, masks are required in public, unless eating, drinking, or exercising...not sure what that last one means entirely.  Gyms might be allowed?  Ehh, maybe with adequate distancing.

Her remarks include a good point to the <BLEEEP> <BLEEP> <BLEEEPP>   idiots who object to masks as infringements on their freedoms.

“I know this is not popular, but seat belts, child safety seats and airbags weren’t popular either when they were first adopted, and we know they save lives,” Gov. Lujan Grisham said. “Please: Wear a mask. It’s compassionate. It protects others, including frontline workers of all types, and we owe them a great debt of gratitude. Let’s protect them and each other and our families.”

California starting to move into "deep phase 2". County by County posting of variance attestation on the DPH website. Deep phase 2 allows retail, restaurants (with modification such as restricted seating and employee masks), and similar modified activities. 

Placer and San Luis Obispo are cleared for that, among others. No Bay Area County on that list that I've seen. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc7news.com/amp/phase-two-california-bay-area-stage-when-can-restaurants-reopen-in/6186330/

Prince George's County in Maryland has about 11k cases and 400 deaths, out of a population of around 900k.  While most of the state has begun the phased reopening process, the county remains under a stay at home order until June 1st.  Considering the number of people I see walking around without masks, I think that's the right call right now.  I do worry that once the lockdown begins to lift around the country, that more and more people will get lax and sloppy about hand washing, social distancing and mask wearing.  And the rates will spike and so will the death rates.  I hope I'm wrong but worry that I'm right about that.  

5 hours ago, unclevlad said:

I can't see anything but that.  My hope is it's relatively limited.

The U.S. just hit 1.5M cases and it looks like we're a lock to reach 100000 deaths by Memorial Day, let alone 6/1.

Peru and Chile are starting to see their case rates take off.

Germany and Spain are getting things under control.  German students are even going back to school, though they are being tested every four days with tests that actually work.

11 hours ago, Old Man said:

The fact that this is happening, knowingly misreporting to make our understanding worse specifically for political advantage during the worst pandemic in living memory, infuriates me.

(edit: who was that villain in the recent star wars?  I don't want you to win, I just want __ to lose)

Sigh...

Bad evening last night.  Thread popped up about the mask requirement...got 3 gits arguing absurdities. 

"It's not a law!" 

It's an executive order from the governor as part of an emergency declaration.  That has the force of law. 

"Masks may make things worse!"  Oy. 

Pressed on it..."I have inside info."  Yeah, right. 

"We don't need Big Brother to violate our god given, not to mention Constitutional rights!"

WHAT rights are you talking about???

Haven't been out since the order was put in place...that'll be Tuesday.  We'll see.  Masks were getting fairly common last week, before they were required, so I think these represent a small minority, but it's still worrisome.  It doesnt' take many fools to keep things going.

9 hours ago, TrickstaPriest said:

The fact that this is happening, knowingly misreporting to make our understanding worse specifically for political advantage during the worst pandemic in living memory, infuriates me.

Speaking of which, here's the chart that the Georgia governor's office put out on Friday:

spacer.png