Coronavirus

Steve

8 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Heck, we have examples of doing it better right now. Germany, South Korea, New Zealand, took unified, science-based measures at the start of this pandemic, and are now reaping the rewards.

Don't miss Ireland from that, they went into lockdown just over a week earlier than the UK and now have had several days with no COVID-19 related deaths. 

They are probably the most shameful comparison for the UK.

On 5/27/2020 at 6:50 AM, Simon said:

Agreed - 100%...though I will add that those who haven't had it become personal can still be emotionally affected and aware of the scope of the tragedy that's continuing to unfold. I was in that group and am now in the "close to home" group and can somewhat confidently say that they're not too different, just more personal now.  My aunt (this shouldn't matter, but early 70's, special needs, had been living in an assisted care facility) was recently moved to the ICU showing all the (bad) signs of COVID-19. 

This isn't meant to take away from your post -- the majority fall into the category that you describe (not really "getting" it until it hits close to home)...which I find more than a little sad, and more than a little telling of why we're seeing the issues we are in the US.

There are still some who can feel empathy for others even without a personal stake.  We need more of those people.  We especially need them in positions of power.

Unquestionably,, no response to the pandemic will save every business from failure, every household from bankruptcy or every individual from disease, permanent aftereffects or death.  Aiming for that "zero" as we minimize the casualties, however - we can do that.  And we should.

On 5/27/2020 at 5:50 AM, Simon said:

Agreed - 100%...though I will add that those who haven't had it become personal can still be emotionally affected and aware of the scope of the tragedy that's continuing to unfold. I was in that group and am now in the "close to home" group and can somewhat confidently say that they're not too different, just more personal now.  My aunt (this shouldn't matter, but early 70's, special needs, had been living in an assisted care facility) was recently moved to the ICU showing all the (bad) signs of COVID-19. 

I wish you the best, Dan.  You are a good person, and I hope things turn out well as they can be.  Us all, we'll be here.

On 5/27/2020 at 2:50 AM, Simon said:

My aunt (this shouldn't matter, but early 70's, special needs, had been living in an assisted care facility) was recently moved to the ICU showing all the (bad) signs of COVID-19.

Missed this yesterday.  Please keep us posted, Simon.

45 minutes ago, Simon said:

Sadly, not much good to update:  she's been moved to hospice.

I'm sorry.

-- 

AZ isn't looking great.  The numbers aren't telling the whole picture, that the navajo nation is getting crushed by this, and there are hospitals already over capacity.  Going from 200 to 400 new cases in short order, and keep in mind that's 'new' cases.  It can take upwards of four weeks to discharge someone, so it's not exactly surprising that hospitals are already over capacity.

5 hours ago, TrickstaPriest said:

AZ isn't looking great.  The numbers aren't telling the whole picture, that the navajo nation is getting crushed by this, and there are hospitals already over capacity.  Going from 200 to 400 new cases in short order, and keep in mind that's 'new' cases.  It can take upwards of four weeks to discharge someone, so it's not exactly surprising that hospitals are already over capacity.

Apache County is even slighty worse than Navajo County...not sure what the tribal structures are there.  Navajo County...1 in 65 has it.  Apache County, it's 1 in 55.  In NYC itself it's 1 in 41...so those 2 counties are comparable.  Yuma County's rate of increase is alarming, too.

The South right now is what worries me the most.  2 things...first, there's more hot spots as you start from East Texas and swing east, then up through the Carolinas, than anywhere else, it looks to me.  Second, the breakdowns for those states shows it's not all that clustered...it's everywhere.  It's not a red spot here and there, it's  closer to what a case of measles looks like with red everywhere.  Which suggests it's now firmly seeded, and suggests the numbers of cases will be swelling.

14 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Apache County is even slighty worse than Navajo County...not sure what the tribal structures are there.  Navajo County...1 in 65 has it.  Apache County, it's 1 in 55.  In NYC itself it's 1 in 41...so those 2 counties are comparable.  Yuma County's rate of increase is alarming, too.

The South right now is what worries me the most.  2 things...first, there's more hot spots as you start from East Texas and swing east, then up through the Carolinas, than anywhere else, it looks to me.  Second, the breakdowns for those states shows it's not all that clustered...it's everywhere.  It's not a red spot here and there, it's  closer to what a case of measles looks like with red everywhere.  Which suggests it's now firmly seeded, and suggests the numbers of cases will be swelling.

Corrupt authoritarian governments altering and hiding COVID-19 data

2 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Ewwww...

You may not have noticed, but Brazil is now #2 in total cases, and #5 in total deaths.  For ~ 70K cases a month ago, to 450K.  

That's true.  Things are especially bad in Peru and Chile, which are on the verge of overtaking the U.S. for highest number of cases per capita.  (That's right, the U.S. currently has more cases per person than any other country on the planet.  Despite the best efforts of state governments to fudge the numbers.)

2 hours ago, Old Man said:

That's true.  Things are especially bad in Peru and Chile, which are on the verge of overtaking the U.S. for highest number of cases per capita.  (That's right, the U.S. currently has more cases per person than any other country on the planet.  Despite the best efforts of state governments to fudge the numbers.)

Not from numbers on worldometers.

In total cases per 1M people, US is 11th...but the top 10 in order are San Marino, Qatar, Vatican City, Andorra, Luxembourg, Mayotte, Bahrain, Spain, Kuwait, and Singapore.  Of these, 5 have less than 750K population (Vatican City is less than 1K), 3 have between 1.7 and 4.3 million people, and Singapore has almost 6M...but in a highly compact area.  I'm willing to downplay the per capita numbers for these.  But that still leaves Spain.  So we're #2, by my count.

That still leaves us ahead of the UK, Sweden, and France...not exactly countries that will be cited for their positive responses....