Coronavirus

Steve

15 hours ago, Tom Cowan said:

New Evidence Suggests COVID-19 May Actually Be a Blood Vessel Disease

https://www.yahoo.com/news/evidence-suggests-covid-19-may-195153450.html

The article cited by Yahoo is here:

https://elemental.medium.com/coronavirus-may-be-a-blood-vessel-disease-which-explains-everything-2c4032481ab2

Somewhat more technical but still, overall, approachable.  And very, very scary...but also opens the door for some interesting treatment options, and therapeutic regimens that work against the general kind of damage they're suggesting.  That is potentially very good news.

On 6/2/2020 at 3:37 PM, Old Man said:

Prior to the riots, there was the pandemic and the anti-maskers.  Prior to the pandemic there was Black Friday shopping, the occasional shooting, and the people at Wal-Mart that you can't unsee.

Notice how no one is discussing Trump's mishandling of COVID-19 right now? He's consistent at sparking new outrage to distract us from his old outrage.

In related news I surved my 45 min, no 90 min, no 3 hour surgical procedure after they found a lot of collateral damage in my shoulder.

Apparently sports & martial arts are bad for your joints.  Don't tell the high schools and colleges.

Propofol is awesome - Nice clean drop off to sleep and I woke up battling space pirates (not joking).  Also, my blood pressure dropped 30 points while I was doped up so apparently it's really good for me.

My anesthesiologist is so good he was able to paralyze the three nerves in my arm with a slow release medicine that leaves my fingers functional.  I can't move my arm at all, but I can type.  I literally didn't believe this was possible until today.

it's strangely specific.  I can move my fingers, but I can't rotate my hand.

My shoulder hurts, but so it's so much less than when my nerve was being crushed I give it exactly 0 sh*ts.

My nurses were both sweet as can be.  Except the older one who was so comfortable poking my belly after I mentioned liposuction it was like she was playing with one of her grand kids.  Like it would have gotten a male nurse fired.  :)

I will be drugged out of my gourd for a week and won't be allowed to lift anything with my left arm for 4 weeks.  This is going to require a restraint in bed as I roll over in bed - in place - by bridge up on my neck and one hand wrestler style and rotating my hips.  I do that on my newly attached bicep tendon and I will  be back in surgery.

Also, I had to fill out like 72 forms (exaggeration) related to Coronavirus.  Including one that said you might catch it by having surgery here.  I was all, "Don't you clean sh*t after surgery?".

Texas Orthopedic Association was fine (hand sanitizer, fever check, mandatory use of their masks - not your own).

Texas Back Institute was dumb - the doctor was amazing, but the Coronavirus rules were stupid.  fever check - hand sanitizer - their mask - and then GLOVES.  I asked the lady as nicely as possible, "Ma'am, what was the hand sanitizer for if I'm going to wear gloves?".  She gave my least favorite answer in the universe - "Those are the rules."  Thinking should be a rule.  Good bosses like thinking employees and bosses who don't - shouldn't have employees.

So, hopefully, 10 days from now I don't bust out a lethal fever after getting 15 years of damage scraped off my shoulder.  :)

8 hours ago, unclevlad said:

...as our Commander in Chief shows his love and devotion for the troops.......

Wait, the President always says he has already been tested and is clean, and then exposes himself to people in close proximity, without a mask or maintaining social distancing, all the bloody time..

On 6/3/2020 at 4:22 AM, unclevlad said:

The article cited by Yahoo is here:

https://elemental.medium.com/coronavirus-may-be-a-blood-vessel-disease-which-explains-everything-2c4032481ab2

Somewhat more technical but still, overall, approachable.  And very, very scary...but also opens the door for some interesting treatment options, and therapeutic regimens that work against the general kind of damage they're suggesting.  That is potentially very good news.

Following up on this, trials of various anticoagulants, statins, and other antiinflammatories to treat COVID-19 have been started based on this hypothesis.