Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fever broke last night. I'm going to be okay.

Posted Images

Famotidine use and quantitative symptom tracking for COVID-19 in non-hospitalised patients: a case series

 

Ten consecutive patients with COVID-19 who self-administered high-dose oral famotidine were identified. The most frequently used famotidine regimen was 80 mg three times daily (n=6) for a median of 11 days (range: 5–21 days). Famotidine was well tolerated. All patients reported marked improvements of disease related symptoms after starting famotidine. The combined symptom score improved significantly within 24 hours of starting famotidine and peripheral oxygen saturation (n=2) and device recorded activity (n=1) increased.

 

Ten patients is not a statistically significant sample size, but we'll see how it goes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, death tribble said:

Brazil's death toll has gone past Italy. Not good.

 

 

People have been saying that the death toll in Brazil is substantially (like almost an order of magnitude) higher than reported.  That would almost have to be the case, unless the virus is particularly bad in that climate.  I can't imagine how India is faring either, for that same reason. 

 

(edit:  I imagine twice as much would be a fair estimate to start around)

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, megaplayboy said:

But muh energy stock portfolio!

 

I have no doubts that the stuff going on (discussed in the police thread) is connected to the issues going on here.  I wholly believe if our response had been better, the situation as it stands would be less... well, violent.

 

But we can also see that this virus hasn't burned itself out.  And worse things are going to come of our continued lack of action on the environmental subject... I don't think it's linked directly to corona itself though.

 

I will say that the terrible air pollution in China and the common habit of smoking is probably why so many respiratory diseases are coming from China.  Plus the population density, all together lets it travel almost instantly along a poor-health lane just for itself and its friends...

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ScottishFox said:

I can't imagine the massive protests against police brutality going on in several countries are going to do anything but cause a big upward spike in Coronavirus deaths.

 

They will.

 

I think I said before, humans are incredibly ill suited towards handling the responsibilities of a pandemic.

 

But I doubt this would be happening, especially as severely here, if the coronavirus didn't happen.  Incredibly high unemployment and poverty gets people on the streets, consequences be damned 😕

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Lawnmower Boy said:

Oh, people understand. We're going with the "Stopping coronavirus is hard, and so we gave up" strategy. 

Depends. Right about some people. For others foraging for food became the stronger impulse.

 

Quarantine isn't viable on an indefinite basis. Some have up on it too quickly, I will grant

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Badger said:

Depends. Right about some people. For others foraging for food became the stronger impulse.

 

Quarantine isn't viable on an indefinite basis. Some have up on it too quickly, I will grant

 

 

More, most I see don't wear masks even in grocery stores.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TrickstaPriest said:

 

More, most I see don't wear masks even in grocery stores.

 

Around here I'd say it's the decided exception when someone does NOT wear a mask.  That said, it still is extremely disheartening to see people refusing to take a *basic* step.  Even if it's no more than 1 in 50, at a guess.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Badger said:

It has improved at local grocery store. From about 40 to 70 percent. Best possi bless I guess

 

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

Around here I'd say it's the decided exception when someone does NOT wear a mask.  That said, it still is extremely disheartening to see people refusing to take a *basic* step.  Even if it's no more than 1 in 50, at a guess.

 

In grocery stores I see maybe 5-10% wear a mask.  I can see them when I look for them, but otherwise it's not standard.  I have to pick up my produce around these people.

 

In completely unrelated news:

 

https://www.abc15.com/news/region-phoenix-metro/central-phoenix/banner-says-icu-beds-are-approaching-100-capacity

 

https://www.verdenews.com/news/2020/jun/05/banner-hospital-official-predicts-arizona-headed-h/

 

Thank you, Dan Simon, for reminding me that 'just because things SEEM okay' just means people will 'act' as if it's okay even when it's not.  It's going to be weeks before the general population here even notices, I imagine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2020 at 8:35 AM, Lawnmower Boy said:

Oh, people understand. We're going with the "Stopping coronavirus is hard, and so we gave up" strategy. 

 

In the area where I live, the number of daily new cases has been slowly but surely rising since the start of May, and the trend is now higher than it ever was back in April.  Despite this, some restrictions have been lessened, and some folks are just not following sensible precautions (social distancing, masks, etc.).  It makes for a peculiar feeling of blood-boiling despair.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm mostly seeing people be sensible with masks and reasonable distancing measures at restaurants and grocery stores. The big glaring exception was last week when I had to go into Lowe's to pick up an order, and despite signs prominently displayed I seemed to be the only person, customer or staff, wearing a face mask or at all concerned about passing too close to other people. I just took off all the outer clothes I'd worn there when I got home washed my hands and face vigorously. I suppose I should be horrified on those people's behalf, but I mainly feel like sighing in resignation and saying "well, if it wasn't the virus it'd be fireworks or drunken boating accidents this summer."

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, rravenwood said:

 

In the area where I live, the number of daily new cases has been slowly but surely rising since the start of May, and the trend is now higher than it ever was back in April.  Despite this, some restrictions have been lessened, and some folks are just not following sensible precautions (social distancing, masks, etc.).  It makes for a peculiar feeling of blood-boiling despair.

Well, it doesn't matter maybe, what matters is that the cases don't exceed the capacity of the hospitals. Unless we find a vaccine nothing will stop people from getting Covid-19.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pinecone said:
9 hours ago, rravenwood said:

 

In the area where I live, the number of daily new cases has been slowly but surely rising since the start of May, and the trend is now higher than it ever was back in April.  Despite this, some restrictions have been lessened, and some folks are just not following sensible precautions (social distancing, masks, etc.).  It makes for a peculiar feeling of blood-boiling despair.

Well, it doesn't matter maybe, what matters is that the cases don't exceed the capacity of the hospitals. Unless we find a vaccine nothing will stop people from getting Covid-19.

 

Of course it's important that hospital capacity is not overwhelmed, but it should also be clear that people taking proper precautions in order not to carelessly spread the disease in the first place are still quite necessary.  Taking measures to reduce the chance of contracting the virus is the name of the game.  The day when a safe and approved vaccine is available will be a great one, but in the meantime anyone who shrugs their shoulders and decides not to do anything about it until that time comes is being selfishly irresponsible, not only for their own sake but for the sake of anyone they may come into contact with.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Matt the Bruins said:

I'm mostly seeing people be sensible with masks and reasonable distancing measures at restaurants and grocery stores. The big glaring exception was last week when I had to go into Lowe's to pick up an order, and despite signs prominently displayed I seemed to be the only person, customer or staff, wearing a face mask or at all concerned about passing too close to other people. I just took off all the outer clothes I'd worn there when I got home washed my hands and face vigorously. I suppose I should be horrified on those people's behalf, but I mainly feel like sighing in resignation and saying "well, if it wasn't the virus it'd be fireworks or drunken boating accidents this summer."

 

I went to the Lowe's near us yesterday to pick up some landscaping stones and did a quick visual count of those in line to be checked out.  Overall, 18 were wearing masks (including all 3 cashiers) and 3 customers were without masks.  Not perfect (83% compliance), but not horrible either.  Amusing aside - my cashier was a long-time friend who recently started working at Lowe's part-time, but I didn't recognize her because of the mask.  Luckily, she recognized me (or maybe my voice) and let me know.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...