Coronavirus

Steve

During a pandemic, Isaac Newton had to work from home, too. He used the time wisely.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2020/03/12/during-pandemic-isaac-newton-had-work-home-too-he-used-time-wisely/

Rare first edition of Isaac Newton's groundbreaking book found in Corsica

https://www.livescience.com/isaac-newton-first-edition.html

Hey guys. Guess who has a dry cough, fatigue, and just got a fever!

Just that though. No body aches, so probably not the flu. And no shortness of breath. My wife is in full panic mode, but I doubt it is even Covid19. Just a normal boring cold. But hey, if they ever get me tested, I'll show you what the result paper looks like.

1564137386_Zechgotafever.thumb.jpg.60c9fe54001017c1de01d3df45470496.jpg

hmm, maybe I should start one little HERO project I've been putting off for a couple years.  (which I tried to start the new year, but had to stop again after 6 weeks, because life moves too fast sometimes)

And well, I wont exactly be taking time away watching much baseball for awhile.

6 hours ago, Sociotard said:

Hey guys. Guess who has a dry cough, fatigue, and just got a fever!

Just that though. No body aches, so probably not the flu. And no shortness of breath. My wife is in full panic mode, but I doubt it is even Covid19. Just a normal boring cold. But hey, if they ever get me tested, I'll show you what the result paper looks like.

1564137386_Zechgotafever.thumb.jpg.60c9fe54001017c1de01d3df45470496.jpg

If you die, can I have your books?    
           Everyone of you was thinking it.  I just said it out loud.    Feel better soon.

Feel better soon, Sociotard.

I can at least see some rationale for the toilet paper hoarding if I squint, since its lack could become an inconvenience if sequestered in a house for two weeks. People in my area, which has excellent tap water, are buying stores out of the bottled variety. I don't know if they expect the coronavirus to make plumbing stop working or what.

H1N1 and SARS were contained on the Far East so the effects of Coronavirus are more widespread and show what a really deadly disease like Ebola might be capable of if not contained. After medical science and knowledge reduced the effects of Cholera, Dysentery, Malaria and Smallpox nature found to find new ways to kill us off en masse. So we had Legionnaire's Disease.

The mortality rate is not as bad as the really lethal diseases like Ebola and Smallpox, and despite the extreme restrictions, life is continuing on as normal. Because something like flu is not that scary 

On 3/12/2020 at 8:36 PM, Badger said:

Yes, with allergy season coming I expect.

"I got a sore throat and runny nose like usual this time of year, I gots the Corona"

I'm hoping that's my situation, because I do have a sore throat and congestion. Whether it is linked to allergies or to the virus I have no idea, nor do I really know if there's any way to tell. So I am self-quarantining for the next three days just in case.

The big challenge will be Wednesday, when I'm scheduled to go back to work. If I still need to quarantine, the company will understand -- but I only have an hour or so of sick leave, and there is only so much time in tax season. I doubt the IRS will delay the deadline just because tax preparers and their support staff (I am part of the latter) are getting sick.

Gamestorm being cancelled worries me. They're a fan-run con without the resources the big conventions have. Their survival is at stake here.

What always gets me is the little stories.  A short paragraph from a story in the NY Times about the emotional impact of the sports shutdown.  This is a father talking to his son, who's a HS senior.

I dropped him off at school, and reminded him just before the car door slammed to get everything out of his locker in case he could not get back into school for a few weeks. He disappeared into the crowd. Three boys raised the American flag out front.

That counts as a conversation you'd never think you'd need to have....

CBS is showing NCAA basketball ... from 2015.

Looks like Mexico has not yet caved to the terrorists!  Liga MX in half an hour!!  I will not die of sports deprivation!

EDIT: The stadium was empty, so it was a TV-only event.

2 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

I'm hoping that's my situation, because I do have a sore throat and congestion. Whether it is linked to allergies or to the virus I have no idea, nor do I really know if there's any way to tell. So I am self-quarantining for the next three days just in case.

If you find that you're suffering from a fever, you should probably get yourself to a health care professional.