Coronavirus

Steve

Realistically, nobody in that  picture would be a goner.  Except maybe all of their parents, aunties and uncles they see in the near future.

Meanwhile in Texas - The opening has spiked the numbers pretty well and we should be seeing a 2nd boost after recent protest activities so...

image.png.0e2c88f293337c80d963c686ad2e8ac2.png

Total death count remains low, but that could change if the number of cases keeps taking off.

2020 officially wins the giant bag of suck award.

The more I think about it the more angry I get with these governors and mayors.

I need to get my business back up or i will have panhandle for my kids lunch money

How dare you risk lives

Let us go protest without mask.

You guys are cool

Nothing but hypocrites. Either support the quarantine or give up on it. No pick and choose.

50 minutes ago, Cancer said:

I suspect that was part of the point.

I had a whole rant based on that but I buried it.  It serves no purpose. 

If someone's going to be so livid that they are incoherent, I'll wait.

If someone's so stressed that they are incoherent, there's no point in making it worse.

If someone's being incoherent to be a malicious b-st-rd, then I can let them imagine what I'll say.

Neither of these things have any use, and I don't see a point in being nasty to someone.

Well, the Texas Rt number is back to 1.0 so not good, but not a disaster.

The two week trend is flat, but the daily case number is now averaging 1500 instead of 500-600 like it used to.

Deaths are not soaring yet, but there's usually a 10 day-ish lag between sick enough to get tested and dead.

That being said - the rate of mask usage in public - minus businesses/hospitals is damn near zero.  Like 5-7% tops.

I guess we're going for herd immunity here.  😐

7 hours ago, ScottishFox said:

Deaths are not soaring yet, but there's usually a 10 day-ish lag between sick enough to get tested and dead.

That being said - the rate of mask usage in public - minus businesses/hospitals is damn near zero.  Like 5-7% tops.

I guess we're going for herd immunity here.  😐

I'm so sorry.  😕  Yeah, human beings are terrible against 'invisible threats'.  It's literally not in our programming.

We are getting the same kind of maskless attitude.  But I only go in wide open areas where there are few people anyway, so I'm not going to see many masks.  But when I have to hit a grocery store... yeah.  It's not good, and it surprises me not at all that we are now near hospital capacity.

Arizona is also doing badly after their limited restrictions were removed.  Yesterday, the state had the 3rd highest number of new cases...California had ~3000, Texas ~2400, Arizona ~1500.  But Cali has 5x the population;  Texas has 4x.  

Or...looking at it another way...1 new case per 5000 people for AZ yesterday alone.

CA:  1 case per 13,000.

TX:  1 case per 8,000.

US as a whole:  1 case per 16,000.

2 South American problem spots have been:

Chile:  1 case per 3500

Peru:  1 case per 6000

And, note that these were just yesterday.  With caveats for inconsistent/intermittent/potentially delayed reporting, as well as potential report suppression in places.  Still, Arizona's rate is very alarming IMO.

I worry about my building in Portland, a subsidized complex where masks are rare. There are a lot of vulnerable people here. Covid-19 hasn't hit her yet, but when it does it will hit hard. I'm not entirely sure what will happen when the virus strikes here, but with the age and medical conditions of many of the residence (including myself), the sort of measures required will be outright draconian.

17 hours ago, TrickstaPriest said:

I saw tons of masks at the protests...

Which I have mentioned many times, I believe are so big because (and not in spite of) unemployment.

True. I do wish if the eternal quarantine was so important that they would took a stand for it when 

Taken a stand isn't what politics is about

We greatly appreciate the fact that you at least try, Badger.  What I'm seeing in the literature now is that mask wearing makes a big impact on transmission.  If everyone wore masks and cut transmission by even a quarter, that would make a huge difference in the aggregate spread of the disease.

And mask wearing isn't fun.  I have to shout to be heard through the mask sometimes, and any exertion more than a slow walk quickly leaves me sucking wind through the damn thing.  But it's probably more fun than drowning in my own lung pus.

You aren't supposed to wear a mask when you drive.  Rather, if you are moving from place to place, you generally need to switch masks.  This is why PPEs are used up so fast - if you don't want to spread coronavirus, you have to remove the mask between room-visits and get a fresh one. 

I try and make only a single trip to a single location at a time, so I swear the mask at the location and remove it when in the car.

1 hour ago, Badger said:

True. I do wish if the eternal quarantine was so important that they would took a stand for it when 

Taken a stand isn't what politics is about

Politics is about deciding what the best approach to resolving a problem that will cause the least damage/ruffling the least feathers.  Given this definition, I'd have to say politics in our country's been damaged for a long time.

Many people I know are/want to participate in the protests because this has been the first protest for something remotely close to what they believe in for their entire adult lives - when counting large protests that the government actually has 'noticed'.  As in, can't ignore, bulldoze, or pretend it didn't happen a few weeks later.  But we'll see if it gets suborned or ignored or made irrelevant later...

As wrt to my comments in the pol thread, it may very well be one of the last real protests we see - we are simply getting better at misleading/busting/ignoring.

I don't like the timing of it, but most of the people I know would have certainly preferred it sooner, or a different time.  You can't really pick and choose that momentum... at least not as an individual civilian.

But yes.  The quarantine is important, the protest overall is ill timed, and we now have "Coronavirus" as leading cause of deaths-by-day on some days.  ie- more people died of coronavirus that day than any other cause.  It won't hold yearly because it only took off  partway in March, but it's working on catching up.

20 hours ago, TrickstaPriest said:

I can't really tell, from parsing your post, what you are saying or responding to, though.  Or even if you are calling the mayors/governors hypocrites, or someone else.

Well, mostly, it would have been nice if the mayor's and governors came out and said that the protest was more important than saving lives from pandemic.

I might want to have the protestors out. I may want to have quarantine. But the 2 issues can not co-exist.  An actual leader has to make the tough decisions. I kind of got mad about a lot of these governors and mayors who are ignoring or supporting the protest a month ago were aggressively shaming people for wanting to get and support their family. For me, that seems hypocritical.

Note: I admit I am still learning the hows for smartphone typing. I am accidentally simplyfy my words because of that. Sorry for that. I really need to find quotations on this thing.

2nd Note: Under normal circumstances, I would be supportive of the protest. But, everything that has happened the last 2 months, screams that we should admonish them for their putting lives at risk of the pandemic.  It a head splitting conundrum that I have probably put too much thought into.

3 hours ago, TrickstaPriest said:

You aren't supposed to wear a mask when you drive.  Rather, if you are moving from place to place, you generally need to switch masks.  This is why PPEs are used up so fast - if you don't want to spread coronavirus, you have to remove the mask between room-visits and get a fresh one. 

I try and make only a single trip to a single location at a time, so I swear the mask at the location and remove it when in the car.

Politics is about deciding what the best approach to resolving a problem that will cause the least damage/ruffling the least feathers.  Given this definition, I'd have to say politics in our country's been damaged for a long time.

Many people I know are/want to participate in the protests because this has been the first protest for something remotely close to what they believe in for their entire adult lives - when counting large protests that the government actually has 'noticed'.  As in, can't ignore, bulldoze, or pretend it didn't happen a few weeks later.  But we'll see if it gets suborned or ignored or made irrelevant later...

As wrt to my comments in the pol thread, it may very well be one of the last real protests we see - we are simply getting better at misleading/busting/ignoring.

I don't like the timing of it, but most of the people I know would have certainly preferred it sooner, or a different time.  You can't really pick and choose that momentum... at least not as an individual civilian.

But yes.  The quarantine is important, the protest overall is ill timed, and we now have "Coronavirus" as leading cause of deaths-by-day on some days.  ie- more people died of coronavirus that day than any other cause.  It won't hold yearly because it only took off  partway in March, but it's working on catching up.

Yeah, that is a conflict I have with politics. I want things straight forward.

A phrase I hear a lot is to want to be on the right side history. I hate that term. A  coward or pack mentality.  The greatest honor in having an opinion to me would be to be merely on the right side. Even as far no one else in existence to agree with you. Even if history will indeed damn you memory for all time. To still have your conviction in doing the right thing is  courage.  And the antithesis  of settling on being on the side of history. The right side has probably lost and been thrust into anonymity  infinite times.