Coronavirus

Steve

Texas cases are SOARING the last 3-4 days.

Only place I see masks now are hospitals and restaurants.  All the customers are walking around without a care in the world.

When the workers at the corner grocery/gas station quit wearing them I was concerned.  I interact with 1-2 non-family members a day while I work from home, but these guys interact with hundreds per shift.  Put a mask on!

8 hours ago, unclevlad said:

There's no reason to think the first wave ever ended.  Don't look local, look global, or at least broad.  

It's meaningful in a national and state/territory context.

Essentially, for much of Australia, the number of new cases currently borders on zero. The exceptions are mainly related to international or interstate travel.

The current spike in Victoria is likely to slow the ongoing process of lifting restrictions, and may, critically from where I am in Queensland, result in a delay in our state borders being reopened.

Unsurprisingly, the media outlets that have been campaigning to have restrictions lifted, borders opened and so on, are now, without a hint of self-awareness, going into panic mode about the increase in cases.

Tri-Met, which has been requiring face coverings for several weeks, has had some issues with driver non-compliance. So when they announced that one of the drivers our of their west-side garage had tested positive, it naturally gave me cause for concern.

One of the chief warning signs of COVID-19 is a fever. so this is a terrible time not to own a thermometer. I cannot find them anywhere -- not even the obsolete mercury sticks.

19 hours ago, Tom Cowan said:

Is it bad that I'm LOL?

That just means you missed your PRE roll, but it was at -5, so....

I gotta admit I hope Trump gets covid-19.  Not lethal...but nasty enough so he can't blow it off as "just the flu."  Am I proud of this feeling?  HECK no.  But he's a horrific impediment in the process, and what lesser approach might make him change his mind?  I *certainly* don't want 200 cases to emerge from that rally.

The art at which Trump is a world-class master is in reducing people to his level.

6 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

I *certainly* don't want 200 cases to emerge from that rally.

It's not however many people who attended the rally, many of whom specifically chose not to wear masks, and later come down with COVID-19 that would bother me - frankly, I'd view that as evolution in action.  What would bug me are all the innocent people they're likely to infect, people who had absolutely nothing to do with the rally but just have the misfortune to later cross their paths.  Or people who can't get treatment for other health issues if the hospital gets overrun with COVID cases that spike because of these idiots. 

I was talking to one of the workers at our local grocery store.  She was highlighting the words on the sign up front saying mask use was required of everybody shopping there, and she told me they had to call the cops yesterday to remove someone who refused to wear a mask and refused to leave. 

The dumb, sometimes it really burns.

Florida's cases per day has been going up by about 255 (cases per day per day) since June 8: it was 962 on the 8th, and it was over 4000 on the 20th.

Here in WA, we added over 650 cases yesterday (only day so far we've been over 500).  Yakima County (where my sister lives) is up to the nightmare rate of 2440 cases per 100,000 (on a population of a bit over 250k).

1 hour ago, BoloOfEarth said:

It's not however many people who attended the rally, many of whom specifically chose not to wear masks, and later come down with COVID-19 that would bother me - frankly, I'd view that as evolution in action.  What would bug me are all the innocent people they're likely to infect, people who had absolutely nothing to do with the rally but just have the misfortune to later cross their paths.  Or people who can't get treatment for other health issues if the hospital gets overrun with COVID cases that spike because of these idiots. 

I was talking to one of the workers at our local grocery store.  She was highlighting the words on the sign up front saying mask use was required of everybody shopping there, and she told me they had to call the cops yesterday to remove someone who refused to wear a mask and refused to leave. 

The dumb, sometimes it really burns.

I get that, and I largely feel the same...again, not saying this is a good thing.  It's not;  it's anger, fear, and hate speaking.  But, I doubt it'd work to derail Trump's ego train.  It could do a number on his campaign, but that cost, and as you note, the derived cost, is too high.  Same with forcing the cadet class back to West Point...I think this is NOT going to sit well with a LOT of military types.  But not at the cost, should there be a sudden outburst of cases.

Oregon's Governor has also issued a masking order, apparently in hopes of not having the Phase 1 opening of the entire state lead to a massive spike in cases. Whether there can be any teeth at all to such an order is an open question. There is so much other bad stuff going on in Portland right now that writing tickets to the large portion of Portlanders who go out unmasked now is not at all feasible.

I am a bit lax in my own masking, sometimes forgetting my mask when I go down the street to the gas station for a soda. When I remember en route, I'll go back and grab it, but sometimes I forget. Yes, that does make me a terrible person, among many other things,

1 hour ago, Lord Liaden said:

Mistakes and flaws don't make you a terrible person, Michael. They make you human.

I agree.  Masking isn't...normal.  It's weird.  We don't like it, either, so I think that might work against remembering.  Heck, I've forgotten my wallet...and not remembered until I was *checking out* at the market.  It's a 15-20 minute drive to my house...then back.  ARGH!!!  It happens.  (Last time it happened, it was the last straw to upgrade from my old Moto 4G...and get a phone with NRC to use Google Pay.)  Heck, I've had the stuff laid out...reusable veggie and grocery bags...and flat left em.

It just says you probably need to sleep more and worry less.... :)  

Hey, what...stop wrapping that jacket around me....!!!

3 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Oregon's Governor has also issued a masking order, apparently in hopes of not having the Phase 1 opening of the entire state lead to a massive spike in cases. Whether there can be any teeth at all to such an order is an open question. There is so much other bad stuff going on in Portland right now that writing tickets to the large portion of Portlanders who go out unmasked now is not at all feasible.

I am a bit lax in my own masking, sometimes forgetting my mask when I go down the street to the gas station for a soda. When I remember en route, I'll go back and grab it, but sometimes I forget. Yes, that does make me a terrible person, among many other things,

I do forget when getting lunch after working mornings.

After having to struggle with it for 6 hours, it is hArd to remember after having it off in the car for 5 minutes.

This is evidently the new normal. It took a little while to get used to having to store reusable shopping bags in the car all the time. Then you had to remind yourself to stop bringing reusable shopping bags because they wouldn't allow them. Storing hand sanitizer and spare masks in the car are going to be the standard moving forwards.

Or they should be. Assuming you aren't one of those anti-maskers.