Coronavirus

Steve

3 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

No. They're both motivated by what I call, "constructive paranoia."

True.  I must say though, having now done somewhat strenuous work in a mask covering my nose and mouth, I am extra impressed with Spider-Man's cardio level.  I am also less irritated by his constant mask removal in movies...I'd take that thing off every chance I'd get.  :)

5 hours ago, Starlord said:

I wonder if Batman and Spider-Man ever go out and forget their masks....

5 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

No. They're both motivated by what I call, "constructive paranoia."

I imagine in times of Necessity (like this) Batman has a mask that covers his entire face, but the bottom is clear because you can;t sneer or grit your teeth if nobody can see you do it.

I can see him equipping the entire JLA with the things. He'd have to -- if the Flash got it but had no symptoms, he could infect an entire city by himself and not even know it. Of course, for him it would be incredibly uncomfortable because he breathes so hard while running.

Now imagine Superman with a face mask. Which would, ironically, make it harder to disguise his identity because his principal method is mannerisms ("I think Clark Kent is Superman." "No way! Superman would never do what Clark just did!")

But we digress.

7 hours ago, BNakagawa said:

This is evidently the new normal. It took a little while to get used to having to store reusable shopping bags in the car all the time. Then you had to remind yourself to stop bringing reusable shopping bags because they wouldn't allow them. Storing hand sanitizer and spare masks in the car are going to be the standard moving forwards.

Stores in Oregon allow you to bring in your own bags, but they won't pack them for you. You have to do that yourself. Of course, at the discount grocery chain Winco Foods you have to pack your own bags anyway, so there's no point to not using your bags.

Wal-Mart in my experience has been somewhat lax on that point. But then their whole attitude is they don't care about you, their employees, or anybody else. And Wal-mart is close to abolishing checkout people entirely (the last time I visited one they had twenty self-service stations and only two checkout lines, so if you do need help packing you either have to wait in line a long time or are simply out of luck).

I got an email from my trainers this morning saying that since the gyms were opening up I can resume physical training. Since I have some time left on my contract, that's an additional expense.

My gym closed down, but the services have been moved to another gym. It's a cheap gym, but I don't know if it's worth the trouble. But on the other hand, I did sign a contract and I am paying the money, so using the service sounds like part of the deal. The main problem is that I just don't trust gyms right now in terms of maintaining distancing (and masking while working out strikes me as difficult, if not impossible).

6 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Which reminds me I need more masks, hopefully more comfortable ones that won't fog up my glasses so badly.

Apropos of this...I saw disposable masks for sale at Walgreens on Saturday...first time I'd seen any in a store, at least since I started considering getting some back in the early days.  Prices are still insane...$35 for a pack of 50 is still, I think, like 3x the price 6 months ago.  But they were there.  They also had nitrile gloves there, which have been somewhat harder to find. I use those for washing dishes;  if I don't, I pretty easily develop an annoying dermatitis problem.  Usually got those at the Albertson's, but they've been completely out of disposable gloves...vinyl, latex, nitrile...for several weeks.

7 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Which reminds me I need more masks, hopefully more comfortable ones that won't fog up my glasses so badly.

Coworkers with glasses have mentioned that problem.

I have been to preoccupied  with breathing through my own mask to think that one over.

19 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

12 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Apropos of this...I saw disposable masks for sale at Walgreens on Saturday...first time I'd seen any in a store, at least since I started considering getting some back in the early days.  Prices are still insane...$35 for a pack of 50 is still, I think, like 3x the price 6 months ago.  But they were there.  They also had nitrile gloves there, which have been somewhat harder to find. I use those for washing dishes;  if I don't, I pretty easily develop an annoying dermatitis problem.  Usually got those at the Albertson's, but they've been completely out of disposable gloves...vinyl, latex, nitrile...for several weeks.

Capitalism in action. The price is what the market will bear. Although the high price may be discouraging casual sales and keeps them in stock. It's not like everybody needs a mask.

Oh, wait a minute. Everyone does need a mask. Several, in fact, if you're using the disposable kind. So the analogy breaks down somewhat.

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

It's probably not gonna happen, but...is this rising to the level of an impeachable offense against the governor and/or state surgeon general?  Not sure what the state's laws on that are, or whether it'd have to go through a recall election.

But if this is harming the public, then isn't this a de facto violation of any oath of office?

3 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

It's probably not gonna happen, but...is this rising to the level of an impeachable offense against the governor and/or state surgeon general?  Not sure what the state's laws on that are, or whether it'd have to go through a recall election.

The governor of Florida cannot be recalled.  He may be impeached by a 2/3 majority of the Florida House, which won't happen.

3 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

But if this is harming the public, then isn't this a de facto violation of any oath of office?

Yes, but unfortunately, irrelevant.  See above.