Coronavirus

Steve

31 minutes ago, Ternaugh said:

The head of the Department of Education would actually like to dismantle the public education system. Why pay for something when you've already outsourced the factory jobs to other countries?

Just how literate do you have to be to check the circle that says "Ja!" that's the only one on the ballot?

1 hour ago, ScottishFox said:

There's the US public education system for you.  They want you just smart enough to handle a factory job (Thanks, Prussia!) but not smart enough to critically think.

Well, it is partly that you are open to having people come and have their say in an official forum, God forbid that we would allow the great unwashed to speak their mind like that...

2 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

The head of the Department of Education would actually like to dismantle the public education system. Why pay for something when you've already outsourced the factory jobs to other countries?

The current Secretary of Education is a blood traitor whose soul (if any) should be sucked out through her mouth isn't qualified to hold the position.

Not in terms of experience--not only has she never been an educator nor an administrator, but neither she nor her children have ever attended a public school at any level.

Not in terms of understanding how public schools are supposed to work--she's convinced that vouchers and government support of private schools, even religiously-based private schools, will fix the problems in public education by forcing public schools to "up their game".

And certainly not in terms of conflict of interest--her family has a lot invested in alternative education schemes. 

The "highlight" of her tenure in the office has been a relaxation of Title IX standards in sexual assault cases on campuses, supposedly in the name of offering equal protection to the accused.

Does anyone think for the briefest fraction of a second that this individual knows or cares anything about how to keep American students safe during the biggest global pandemic in a century?

4 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

My father was a uni professor until retirement.  Don't talk to him about No Child Left Behind.  Or especially how students have been in the last five years.

On a personal note, I got a COVID-19 test today because I was short of breath, and although the results will take a few days I have been ordered to quarantine for a week. That's a precaution, but it means some things I want to do won't be happening.

The downside is that I just got this $100 gift card from the local affiliate of Kroger that I can't use because I can't go to the stores.

I do not have a fever or any other symptoms, so it is possible it will come up negative. But until the tests come back it will be an anxious weekend.

54 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

On a personal note, I got a COVID-19 test today because I was short of breath, and although the results will take a few days I have been ordered to quarantine for a week. That's a precaution, but it means some things I want to do won't be happening.

The downside is that I just got this $100 gift card from the local affiliate of Kroger that I can't use because I can't go to the stores.

I do not have a fever or any other symptoms, so it is possible it will come up negative. But until the tests come back it will be an anxious weekend.

Holy crap, MIchael. Look after yourself!

5 hours ago, TrickstaPriest said:

My father was a uni professor until retirement.  Don't talk to him about No Child Left Behind.  Or especially how students have been in the last five years.

No child left behind because none ended up tAking the journey.

3 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

:shock:  Keep us posted, Michael.

Can't confirm. But given I've seen more out the last couple of weeks, and a lower mask percentage. I can't go but wonder if people took a look at the protest and said "Screw this quarantine 

Maybe  not, but the timing indicates the possibility

2 hours ago, Badger said:

Can't confirm. But given I've seen more out the last couple of weeks, and a lower mask percentage. I can't go but wonder if people took a look at the protest and said "Screw this quarantine 

Maybe  not, but the timing indicates the possibility

I think the connection is too loose, altho it could well have contributed.  The resentment, tho, is real...can't do this, can't do that, masks are a pain.  Now couple that with the views that others aren't doing it...the protests are only one such...and by and large, the impossibility of broad enforcement, and still viewed as the scattershot risk (I suspect)...those still willing to Do the Right Thing will be in the decline.

And we can't ignore the complicity of the White House.  The coronavirus task force met the press today;  I caught one question to Pence, asking about the conflict between saying "follow your local leaders" and holding rallies in Tulsa against local desire.  Pence responded with a total BS "free assembly" argument.  I shut it down right there...that was way past my limit.  We can't deny the effectiveness of the long-term disinformation campaigns related to science generally, and to this situation in particular.  Proof of that was the rant about the devil, and masks making you sick, posted recently.

7 hours ago, unclevlad said:

And we can't ignore the complicity of the White House.  The coronavirus task force met the press today;  I caught one question to Pence, asking about the conflict between saying "follow your local leaders" and holding rallies in Tulsa against local desire.  Pence responded with a total BS "free assembly" argument.  I shut it down right there...that was way past my limit.  We can't deny the effectiveness of the long-term disinformation campaigns related to science generally, and to this situation in particular.  Proof of that was the rant about the devil, and masks making you sick, posted recently.

If we want to talk about anti science complicity, let me talk to you about Australia and climate change... XD

16 hours ago, unclevlad said:

I think the connection is too loose, altho it could well have contributed.  The resentment, tho, is real...can't do this, can't do that, masks are a pain.  Now couple that with the views that others aren't doing it...the protests are only one such...and by and large, the impossibility of broad enforcement, and still viewed as the scattershot risk (I suspect)...those still willing to Do the Right Thing will be in the decline.

Well I meant to say it was more of the thing that pushed those too far. I can't lie having not been able to visit my dad in 3 months has bore some rising resentment  in me.

Meanwhile...some airlines are moving back to full bookings.  The candour of one airline - “Because [of] the economics of our industry, most airlines have a break-even load factor of 75 to 80 percent, so clearly capping flights at 55 to 60 percent, which is what we’re doing right now … is not sustainable.” – gives us an idea what the next few months will hold. 

Comparing 55% to 75%, and 60% to 80%, raising the ticket price by 35% or so would raise the revenues for 55 - 60% load to 75% to 80% load.  So, are we willing to pay that much more for air travel in order to enable the airlines to operate under a model which permits social distancing?