Coronavirus

Steve

<sigh>

from NYT:

WASHINGTON — The government’s top infectious disease expert said on Tuesday that the rate of new coronavirus infections could more than double to 100,000 a day if current outbreaks were not contained, warning that the virus’s march across the South and the West “puts the entire country at risk.”

Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, offered the grim prediction while testifying on Capitol Hill, telling senators that no region of the country is safe from the virus’s resurgence. The number of new cases in the United States has shot up by 80 percent in the past two weeks, according to a New York Times database, with new hot spots flaring far from the Sun Belt epicenters.

Article shouldn't be paywalled:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/30/us/politics/fauci-coronavirus.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

New York added 8 more states to the quarantine list...now at 16.  

People from my church have dropped by with supplies during my quarantine. They were unconcerned about my possibly passing on the virus, but took the necessary precautions anyway.

I shoujld get  my test results tomorrow or the next day. Then I will find out how much longer I will need ot be in full quarantine.

It would not surprise me if the Governor in Oregon didn't roll back some of the reopening moves, or at the very least exhort people to stay at home.

10 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

It would not surprise me if the Governor in Oregon didn't roll back some of the reopening moves, or at the very least exhort people to stay at home.

Not sure why.

Worldometers says Oregon had 171 new cases;  that's about 1 case for every 25,000 people in the state.  Oklahoma's population is pretty close;  they had 585.  I'll be the first to agree with a tight reopening approach is better than a loose one, but those numbers just aren't that bad.  I'm talking state-level;  if there are local areas that are being hit harder, well of course that's different.

We aren't going to get new case counts down to 0.  We have to wrestle with the serious problem of balancing the damages, from the closures vs. from openings.  The overall increase in numbers in Oregon would suggest not extending the reopening, but my view of the data...rather limited of course...doesn't suggest tightening restrictions.

11 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

I suppose the positive in that story is, at least the US government is spending on something to help victims. Too little too late, and it leaves the rest of the world hanging in the wind, but still.

Of course, you're assuming the victims will actually GET it...

13 minutes ago, Cygnia said:

Of course, you're assuming the victims will actually GET it...

Actually, no, I wasn't. :(  For one thing...

23 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Didn't I read somewhere that the average American will have to pay over $1200 (after insurance) for a typical treatment regimen of Remdesivir?

It will be something like that, naturally. God forbid that a drug company offer something non-profit even during a pandemic.

48 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Didn't I read somewhere that the average American will have to pay over $1200 (after insurance) for a typical treatment regimen of Remdesivir?

21 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

It will be something like that, naturally. God forbid that a drug company offer something non-profit even during a pandemic.

It's easy to toss out comments like that.  I wonder what the cost would be if the drug company removed its profit margin.  Would the researchers who developed the drug (and all of those working to develop other treatments) be expected to work for free?  How about the doctors, nurses and support staff at the medical facilities where the treatment will be administered?  Should the components with which the drug is manufactured be donated by their manufacturers (or at least reduced to no profit margin)?  Do you expect the transport companies that ship the drug to do so at no profit, and the employees who transport the drug to donate their time?  Every organization along the chain has premises and overhead costs - should those be donated by landlords, office supply companies, utility companies, etc.?

The reality is that nothing is free, and every cost along the chain adds to the cost of the treatment.

I'm not talking forever and for everything. I'm talking now, for this one medication. In a crisis many people do work for free to help others; but it doesn't even have to go that far. Bring the price down enough to just cover expenses of manufacturing and delivery during the pandemic. It's not like doing that will bankrupt the company.

1 hour ago, Hugh Neilson said:

I wonder what the cost would be if the drug company removed its profit margin.

I think the article gives an idea of that

Gilead has been criticised in recent days for its decision to charge $2,340 (£1,990) for a typical remdesivir treatment course for people covered by government health programmes in the US and other developed countries.

In 127 poor or middle-income countries, the company is allowing generic makers to supply the drug; two countries are doing that for around $600 per treatment course.

I reckon the cost, with the company waiving any profit (but covering costs such as scientists wages), might be somewhere between $600 and $700....