Coronavirus

Steve

2 hours ago, Badger said:

Could another possibility be that it maybe has mutated towards less deadly?

If it mutated to be more infectious?  That's not certain, but if so, yeah, I suppose...but that speculation is seriously premature.  It's too facile of an explanation;  by my lights, it's the Holmesian explanation.  If you can eliminate everything possible, then whatever remains, must be the truth.

And as pointed out, even if there are fewer deaths, it's tossing out massive ripples.  And there are the non-fatal, but very long-term damage cases, and the likely opportunistic infections in its aftermath.

8 minutes ago, Starlord said:

When a virus mutates does it go to live in a special school with other mutated viruses?  Do normal viruses now hate and fear it and say things like, "Die, mutant scum!"?

PS:  Asking for a friend.

If it does, the correlation is that it eventually goes insane and tries to destroy the world. :(

4 hours ago, unclevlad said:

And as pointed out, even if there are fewer deaths, it's tossing out massive ripples.  And there are the non-fatal, but very long-term damage cases, and the likely opportunistic infections in its aftermath.

This is what worries me, the emphasis on fatalities leading the general public to downplay the impact of the illness. No small number of "recoveries" are still seriously impaired, likely for the rest of their lives. Imagine if polio had been downplayed because it's rarely fatal.

Well, I'm up because my shoulder hurts and sleep deprivation is fun, but I did find some interesting good news.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/02/health/hydroxychloroquine-coronavirus-detroit-study/index.html

Basically, if the hydroxychloroquine is started early instead of after the severe symptoms kick in the death rate of patients dropped by almost 50%.

Groups that published studies that disagreed with these results - not surprisingly - continued to disagree with the results.

Out in Texas today with our shiny new mandatory mask requirement - Kicked in yesterday at noon - I saw a compliance rate of at least 33-40%.  Signs were up at the store - no entry w/out mask - people just walked in anyway.  Store clerks did not send them out.

2 hours ago, ScottishFox said:

Out in Texas today with our shiny new mandatory mask requirement - Kicked in yesterday at noon - I saw a compliance rate of at least 33-40%.  Signs were up at the store - no entry w/out mask - people just walked in anyway.  Store clerks did not send them out.

Honestly, with everything you all have been telling me about Texas recently, if I was a store clerk I'd be scared to insist. :angst:

If, as a store  owner, you REALLY want to stimulate mask wearing, try this:

"5%* discount for any shopper or shopping group) wearing a mask throughout their shopping trip in our store"

* Pick your percentage. 

More cynically (or realistically - businesses are already suffering)?  Raise your prices the same amount so those without masks are paying a premium.

5 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

This is what worries me, the emphasis on fatalities leading the general public to downplay the impact of the illness. No small number of "recoveries" are still seriously impaired, likely for the rest of their lives. Imagine if polio had been downplayed because it's rarely fatal.

Too true.  The lack of recognition that this is not binary - "you are dead" or "you are back to normal" - makes for bad risk assessment.  And that ignores that a full recovery still likely follows several weeks of no income and maybe a huge medical bill.

9 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Honestly, with everything you all have been telling me about Texas recently, if I was a store clerk I'd be scared to insist. :angst:

It's not Texas alone.  The fear is escalation, of course, for which store clerks are not, and generally cannot be, prepared to handle.  It's like asking the wait staff and bartenders to deal with a disorderly drunk...they don't.  That's why there's bouncers.  But very few retailers have one.  My local Sprouts Market *does*...and it's nice to see.  But they are unique, to my knowledge, in the area.

Interesting little factoid I found, thinking about this.  One big issue would be that not only does it go violent...but it goes to deadly violence.  Gun level violence.  

We all think of Texas and concealed carry...but they're only #3 by number of CCW permits as of 2017, from
https://www.gunstocarry.com/concealed-carry-statistics/#numbers

Worse, start comparing that as a per capita number.
Texas:  1 in 24

Florida:  1 in 12

Pennsylvania:  1 in 10

Georgia:  1 in 11

Indiana:  1 in 8.5

Utah:  1 in 5 (!!!)

Now of course there's no direct relation but I thought this was interesting...

3 hours ago, death tribble said:

Mexico is trying hard to catch up with everyone else and the European countries are dropping down the list as South Americaand India overtake them.

America is heading toward 3 million cases and Brazil is trying hard for 2 million

I did figure if/where. India got hit it would get brutal. Those cities aren't built for social distancing or health really