Coronavirus

Steve

57 minutes ago, Grailknight said:

Welp, still going as of this morning. Sleep schedule sucks and appetite is really off but the fever seems to be a little less and shorter each day.

Good news, for most people Covid-19 is a serious illness, but nothing more. So here's hoping!

Here's hoping the re-infections are a relatively rare phenomenon and not indicative of how this virus is going to affect most sufferers. Highly infectious + short or absent immunity window + increasingly severe symptoms with each recurrence does not paint a rosy picture of the future.

At least every new report I read about the damn thing validates my and my mom's strategy of going overboard with precautions.

On 7/11/2020 at 12:36 AM, Lord Liaden said:

Unlike the American football players, armored like tanks.

If they were legit colliding with each other and getting injured - that would be fine.

It's the theatrics of taking a fake dive to try to draw a penalty that look so bad.

On 7/11/2020 at 1:33 AM, Grailknight said:

Well, apparently you can test positive and have a fever of 101.3 and not be sick enough for inpatient care. i got sent home from the hospital after a couple 4-5 hours of tests and since my bloodwork was good, oxygen was normal and lungs are clear, I just have to hydrate,  double up on vitamins and swallow Tylenol like candy. They did say come back if I developed any breathing issues.Apparently this is the least sick you can be without being totally asymptomatic.

Best of luck, Grailknight.  Get plenty of rest.

On 7/11/2020 at 12:04 PM, Pariah said:

And we’re trying to just bring it back, even though we’ve taken none of the steps to flatten the curve.”

That's just not so. 

We had the mortality rate down by about 75% for a bit.

From the middle of April to mid June we cut the number of hospitalizations in half.

Sure, we've borked it recently with a lot of the 30 and under crowd getting sick by way of ignoring the rules, but we absolutely did flatten the curve for awhile.

The area in Texas I'm in is seeing an increase, but here you're more likely to be murdered than die of Coronavirus.  However, we are likely to pass our average flu-season numbers in the next few weeks - 3,200 deaths and climbing.

The worst recent flu season in Texas (2017-2018) took 11,000 lives according to the Texas DHS.  We're way below that - so far.

image.png.d1ed288db5f30ccf279f2dcab17a6bcf.png

CDC COVID data tracker ... Hospital bed utilization rates, by state

I remember one grandfather who even in the 1960s was cussing the Okies and the Arkies who migrated to California in the Depression looking for work.  Looking at this makes me wonder if in 25 years we'll have people cussing the Zonies and the Florries and the Texies in the same way, albeit looking for hospital beds.

I don’t think it’s feasible to transport critical patients from state to state looking for ICU beds. Instead the hospitals will have to start death panels triage policies to determine who is most likely to benefit from what care is available. 

Also, people in these places now not only need to avoid the Covid, they also need to avoid getting seriously hurt or sick at all. 

Allowing infections to spike so sharply is putting unacceptable strain on health care workers, among the most vital personnel during this pandemic. They not only have to deal with the risk of sickness, and fear of that, but also the stress of long hard hours without the resources to give their patients adequate care.

I foresee a legacy of burnouts and breakdowns in that sector for years to come. :(

My workplace is on "Pill Hill" in Seattle (there are four major hospitals within six blocks of campus), and people were saying they were seeing the equivalent of battle fatigue in some hospital workers back in late March.

4 hours ago, Cancer said:

My workplace is on "Pill Hill" in Seattle (there are four major hospitals within six blocks of campus), and people were saying they were seeing the equivalent of battle fatigue in some hospital workers back in late March.

Howdy, work neighbor! (Though  you're likely sleeping most of the time I'm at work.)