Coronavirus

Steve

Australia is sitting on a bomb at the moment, IMHO. It's only a matter of time until New South Wales goes the same way as Victoria, and then Queensland is history.

And we've been doing so well, relatively speaking.

Victorian coronavirus cases climb as Government makes masks mandatory for Melbourne and Mitchell Shire

To put the current infection rate into perspective, it was around 10 a day in Victoria a month ago. Now it's around 400. Hopefully the lockdown will prevent it going into the thousands.

16 minutes ago, death tribble said:

I'm encouraged by the recovery rates for Chile, Peru, Bangladesh and Germany 

Chile, yes;  they have solidly descending case numbers.  Peru has done OK, I'd say, it's not out of hand but the graphs suggests it's increasing gradually.  Not as bad as its peak but that was a narrow peak.  Bangladesh...a little early but it does show the start of a positive trend.

All of which just contrasts with the US numbers, and makes our utter failures stand out that much more.

We were out running errands yesterday, and I was encouraged and relieved to see that the large majority of people we encountered were wearing masks. Our county has had a masks in public mandate since June 25th, and pretty much everyone I saw yesterday was following it. There was one woman approaching the drugstore without a mask; as soon as someone came out wearing a mask, she turned around and went back to her car to get a mask. There was one guy who got to the door and realized he didn't have a mask, so he pulled his shirt up over his mouth and nose. There was a couple standing outside the Verizon store waiting their turn for assistance who weren't wearing masks, but as soon as it was their turn they took their masks out and put them on before entering the building. Literally everyone else I saw all day was wearing a mask.

Meanwhile, in the county directly to the south of us, 200 unmasked people packed into a crowded auditorium early last week to ask that their county be granted a "compassionate exemption" from the governor's mandatory masks in public school order. Because COVID-19 apparently doesn't exist in that county.

Well...the Florida teachers are not going to be idiots.  The teachers' union is suing the governor to block his order requiring schools to reopen...in a state with the most severe outbreak in the country...and possibly anywhere to date.  Extracting a paragraph from the NYT story:

The American Federation of Teachers, the nation’s largest teachers union, and its local affiliate, the Florida Education Association, accused Mr. DeSantis of violating a Florida law requiring that schools be “safe” and “secure.” The unions, along with parent and teacher plaintiffs, asked a state court in Miami to block the governor’s reopening order and allow local school superintendents and health departments to have full control over reopening decisions.

Sounds like a strong basis to contest the order to me.