Jump to content

Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, tkdguy said:

 

Thanks. Hopefully it doesn't last more than a few weeks. On the bright side, I needed a vacation anyway.

 

I did not know whether to like that or not.  I have, but because I like the attitude, not the necessity to find a silver lining!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weekend movie box office in the US...down 45% from the week before.  Worst week in 20 years...and that's raw dollars, best I can tell from the articles.  Movie tickets have gone up quite a bit, so if we counted tickets sold, I suspect it would've been uglier.  AMC Theaters remained open but was dropping capacity per theater by 50% to keep SOME social distancing.  It is likely to get worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now for the next level of fun with the grocery stores. After running out of so many things we get to see how long it takes to restock on product. Many of the chains warehouses have run out of product and have to wait for resupply from the manufactures. If they have run out of on-hand supply, how long will it take them to manufacture more, ship it to the warehouses, then ship to each individual store to then be stocked onto the sales floor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My mother's building has been in quarantine-like conditions for two weeks now. I really worry for her. She's been stuck alone in her apartment for two weeks now. Mom is the most social person I have ever known. She NEEDS people. And the thought of that being denied her breaks my heart to a degree I had never imagined. I'm very, very worried for her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I saw a similar headline...very high number of first-time gun buyers.

 

And I had a thought just now.  There will be another set of indirect victims.

 

Fear.  Stress.  Sense of Isolation.  Disconnection from social networks, such as one's workgroup.  These are big risk factors for suicide.  I doubt it's a factor in the US just yet, but I am very much afraid it will become more significant within a few weeks.  Especially, for example, high school seniors.  Unable to finish...no graduation in sight.  Missing friends from school.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As for me... I'm working from home today for the first time ever.  My workplace (a very large company that makes CPUs whose name begins with I) has not shut down yet, but has been encouraging its employees to work from home as much as possible over the past week.  I'm close enough that I can be there in ten minutes if my presence is needed for on-site support, but until and unless that happens I'm good where I am.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

Weekend movie box office in the US...down 45% from the week before.  Worst week in 20 years...and that's raw dollars, best I can tell from the articles.  Movie tickets have gone up quite a bit, so if we counted tickets sold, I suspect it would've been uglier.  AMC Theaters remained open but was dropping capacity per theater by 50% to keep SOME social distancing.  It is likely to get worse.

 

New York City and Los Angeles have already mandated the closure of movie theaters.

 

The side that's not getting balanced in this Social Distancing effort is economic ruin for countless businesses.

 

Not sure where the sweet spot is, but how many people can we financially destroy before the cure is worse than the ailment?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ScottishFox said:

 

New York City and Los Angeles have already mandated the closure of movie theaters.

 

The side that's not getting balanced in this Social Distancing effort is economic ruin for countless businesses.

 

Not sure where the sweet spot is, but how many people can we financially destroy before the cure is worse than the ailment?

Was just talking about this with a friend. This is really on the money. Most small businesses don't have the two month's of capital they will need to stay alive. This is going to kill so many businesses out there. Looks like Amazon is going to be the biggest winner in all this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New numbers out of China indicate that the economic impact of the outbreak there was ten times worse than analysts expected.  That's what we can look forward to.

 

Retail closures will undoubtedly have a serious economic impact, and recessions have death tolls of their own.  But you know what else makes recessions bad?  Dead people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meanwhile, I just got through talking with someone with local political and health care connections.  It would appear our state government is deliberately preventing testing to protect tourism profits.  The surge of pneumonia patients is happening now and testing kits are being withheld.

 

Until now there was a glimmer of hope that maybe we could have avoided the worst of it.  Not anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Meanwhile, I just got through talking with someone with local political and health care connections.  It would appear our state government is deliberately preventing testing to protect tourism profits.  The surge of pneumonia patients is happening now and testing kits are being withheld.

 

Until now there was a glimmer of hope that maybe we could have avoided the worst of it.  Not anymore.

Good thing this is an election year... Now you know who to remove from office.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Just now, RPMiller said:

Good thing this is an election year... Now you know who to remove from office.

 

If the virus doesn't do it for me, sure.  Though that seems pretty weak, as vengeance goes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Weekend movie box office in the US...down 45% from the week before.  Worst week in 20 years...and that's raw dollars, best I can tell from the articles.  Movie tickets have gone up quite a bit, so if we counted tickets sold, I suspect it would've been uglier.  AMC Theaters remained open but was dropping capacity per theater by 50% to keep SOME social distancing.  It is likely to get worse.

 

I’m hearing some chatter that drive-in movie theaters will experience a resurgence of business as the safest venue to see a movie given the risks of infection in regular theaters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...