Coronavirus

Steve

8 hours ago, archer said:

My kids both got back the results of their latest COVID tests and both are negative now.

My and my spouse's tests are scheduled to take place on August 17th (their earliest opening) and we'll be getting the results back about 5-7 days after that.

What a country....

Testing in Alabama is quicker than that.  My aunt had an appointment with her cardiologist and got my sister added on two days notice. They were also doing tests outside the clinic in a drive thru setup. They were doing appointments first but at any lull they they would take people who just drove up. Aunt had her test in the office but they wouldn't let my sister in(102 fever) so we went to the drive thru(brain ticker swabs) and were done in about 1.5 hours. My aunt and I were sent home but the doctor on site wrote up my sister for immediate hospital admittance(blood oxygen of 80) and she was in ICU 3 hours later. Aunt and I got our positive tests 4 days later. She was in the hospital 2 days later but I was sent home to tough it out.

Granted, I am in Mobile, the most modern city in Alabama, The northern parts of the state may be having a tougher time.

I'm not an epidemiologist and don't play one on TV, so definitely do what you think is right!

That said, I was just relaying what a segment on our local NBC TV news was saying last night. Unfortunately I can't find that segment on their crappy website, and most google search results on the topic seem to be from back in the beginning of the pandemic when we didn't know as much.

Personally, I've been treating surface transmission with a lot less fear than I did at the beginning. I don't wipe down my groceries or delivered packages any more. I still wash my hands after being out, and I don't touch my face while I'm out, tho. Heck, I still use hand sanitizer before I get in my car in the parking lot, so I don't contaminate its surfaces. So I'm not exactly being consistent!

But I am trying to be less paranoid than I used to be, since epidemiologists have been saying surface transmission is possible but appears to be somewhat rare.

8 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

They haven't tested you already? And you have to make an appointment to take it? My first test was on no notice (albeit the results took a week to get to me) and I went to a public-funded clinic. (well, taxpayer-funded if you want to be technical). I was potentially symptomatic (still am, but it's more long-term deconditioning), so that mjay have made a difference. But it's still incomprehensible that people can;t get tested more quickly. I cannot make sense of it.

You've got three choices:

1) pay a lot of money to get a test right away 

2)stay in line 6-9 hours at a drive-thru free testing station.

The third option is to schedule free in-home testing which is for those with severe health problems and disabilities who can't go and sit indefinitely in a car in order to get free testing.

I got on the list, when was it when I first posted about my kids on this thread, two weeks ago? So for disabled and health-compromised people, the system is basically to make an appointment 4-5 weeks away then wait another week to get results. 

edit: My wife got testing each of the two times she recently had to go to the hospital because she couldn't breathe. Those costs will be wrapped up in what we have to pay the hospital. But since we already scheduled her for the free testing and she's been exposed here at home, we're going to go ahead and get her tested as scheduled on the 17th.

1 hour ago, death tribble said:

3 Million cases in Brazil and over 100,000 dead

And unfortunately, India's situation appears to be spiraling out of control;  daily case counts doubled during June (more or less)...and tripled in July.  And still going up.  Also says their daily death counts will continue to rise.  Their overall rates aren't bad...but that's a surface analysis.  They are in bad shape.  

EDIT:  and....we just broke 20M cases worldwide.

My dinner theatre troupe had a show this past Saturday.  31 people showed up (out of a cut-off now of 50). 

What frustrated me still was, even after meals were finished, apart from one audience member, the only people who consistently wore masks were us actors and the hotel staff.

52 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Seattle has a bear holding a fish sitting next to Randy Johnson. I wonder if the bear wants garlic fries with his salmon?

Just now, archer said:

Serving him garlic fries is the only way to know for sure whether he's a vampire.

You realize you gave everyone a nice little bit of nightmare fuel with the suggestion of a vampire bear.