Coronavirus

Steve

5 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

You realize you gave everyone a nice little bit of nightmare fuel with the suggestion of a vampire bear.

It would probably be more menacing than my vampire rabbit suggestion. I once heard someone mention a vampire elephant in a D&D game.

So, right now the Suns are playing one of their last NBA bubble games.  It's being broadcast through Fox Sports Arizona (rather than NBA TV or another national venue) so the ads are frequently Arizona-focused.  

Political ads are numerous...and not surprisingly, many are focused on Covid-19 responsiveness or lack thereof, depending on the side in question.  And it's just August.

It's gonna be an ugly fall.....

And because America is really good at handling Coronavirus - The public health director in California resigned suddenly. 

It wasn't brought up in the resignation letter, but there's supposedly a very recently discovered flaw in the CA reporting system that may have as many as 300,000 cases not reported yet.

32 minutes ago, tkdguy said:

It would probably be more menacing than my vampire rabbit suggestion. I once heard someone mention a vampire elephant in a D&D game.

No beast is more fearsome than the Vampire Giraffe! You sit all safe on the second floor then Boom! Vamipire Giraffe!

40 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

So, right now the Suns are playing one of their last NBA bubble games.  It's being broadcast through Fox Sports Arizona (rather than NBA TV or another national venue) so the ads are frequently Arizona-focused.  

Political ads are numerous...and not surprisingly, many are focused on Covid-19 responsiveness or lack thereof, depending on the side in question.  And it's just August.

It's gonna be an ugly fall.....

Arizona is considered in play for Biden, so both sides are dumping a lot of money for ad buys in the state.

2 hours ago, ScottishFox said:

It wasn't brought up in the resignation letter, but there's supposedly a very recently discovered flaw in the CA reporting system that may have as many as 300,000 cases not reported yet.

It's specifically stuff like this that has me very doubtful when people clamor about 'overreporting' for 'political reasons'.  That's almost never the case as a historical record.  And you can suggest politics in CA would suggest that they'd want that... but the truth is, incompetence can produce a lot of problems, and political CYA always is based on hiding damage.

In this case, the overall death rates were suggesting a much worse portrayal than what even the media claims... we'll see if those death rates hold out.

This was too good not to share.  I found it at https://notalwaysright.com/they-might-be-coming-on-to-something/207328/

A bit of backstory for anyone reading old stories years from now: there’s a global health crisis going on, and a lot of people are acting like it’s either fake or no big deal. I’m waiting for an x-ray, and I overhear some medical workers talking.

Worker #1: “Did you hear that [disease] causes a loss of ability to orgasm?”

Worker #2: “No! Where did you hear that?”

Worker #1: “My girlfriend and I made it up, but if we spread that around, maybe people would actually care.”

Well, it looks like reinstating the restrictions is helping reduce case numbers here at least some.  The numbers on WorldOMeters show a nice declining slope that's holding for 2 weeks.  It's NOTHING like enough but it's definitely better.

Well, unless the California undercount blows the numbers back up....

12 hours ago, Old Man said:

With its decisive one-day death toll of 863 last Thursday, Texas has taken a commanding lead in average deaths per day per capita, leading Mississippi, Louisiana, Arizona, Florida, South Carolina, and Nevada.  It is currently accounting for about 1/3 of all US deaths per day.

Curious which site you're using because the Covid Tracker doesn't have any days nearly that high.  I mean, it is definitely the highest death rate Texas has had lately, but nothing approaching 863.  Current averages are about 225-235.

image.thumb.png.916dd331553048218dd1b900d96d5102.png

17 hours ago, Old Man said:

With its decisive one-day death toll of 863 last Thursday, Texas has taken a commanding lead in average deaths per day per capita, leading Mississippi, Louisiana, Arizona, Florida, South Carolina, and Nevada.  It is currently accounting for about 1/3 of all US deaths per day.

I agree with Scottish Fox...where did 863 come from?  The highest single-day death toll on WorldOMeters has been about 300.  

Or is the 863 tied to counting procedures...whereby they, perhaps, added that many deaths as coronavirus deaths, but that was several days, or even weeks, worth.

On 8/8/2020 at 8:15 PM, unclevlad said:

.  US deaths per capita will exceed 500 per million.

This is correct and surprised me a bit.  Our overall mortality rate is more than 50 per 100k?  That was kind of shocking.  The area I live in (roughly 1 million people in our burb/county) is clocking in at 9 and was not so long ago below 6.

Crazy how different the outcomes are from area to area.

Also, saw this today and despite quite a bit of cavalier rule-breaking and unwillingness to follow safety guidelines - America isn't doing too bad.  Better than Germany and the world average?  Given how fat we are as a country?

Surprisingly good.

I didn't pick the country list.  It comes with those by default with an option to add others.

image.png.c8bec700f6ddd7a824e8d7a7820f5433.png

6 hours ago, ScottishFox said:

This is correct and surprised me a bit.  Our overall mortality rate is more than 50 per 100k?  That was kind of shocking.  The area I live in (roughly 1 million people in our burb/county) is clocking in at 9 and was not so long ago below 6.

Crazy how different the outcomes are from area to area.

Also, saw this today and despite quite a bit of cavalier rule-breaking and unwillingness to follow safety guidelines - America isn't doing too bad.  Better than Germany and the world average?  Given how fat we are as a country?

Surprisingly good.

I didn't pick the country list.  It comes with those by default with an option to add others.

image.png.c8bec700f6ddd7a824e8d7a7820f5433.png

Cool.  Did you notice the text above the graph (bolding added)?

The Case Fatality Rate (CFR) is the ratio between confirmed deaths and confirmed cases. During an outbreak of a pandemic the CFR is a poor measure of the mortality risk of the disease.

To be fair, all the statistics being tossed around are a crap shoot, given the questionable accuracy of case and death counts, the time from infection to death, etc.  I just found the inclusion of that text amusing.

6 hours ago, ScottishFox said:

Surprisingly good.

The rate has too many outside factors.  Early-onset cases have had much higher mortaility rates;  New York and New Jersey are super-high in that regard.  

Also, Italy and Spain actually don't *want* that mortality rate to drop...not quickly, at any rate.  They got *hammered* early on...but the only way for the mortality rate to drop is for them to have vastly more cases.  Italy's at 14%.  For that to drop to 7%...they'd need to double the number of cases...with NO deaths.  Fat chance of that.

By the time the outbreak became geographically widespread here, we had some indications on treatment.  If you want to measure our mortality rate versus other countries, restrict the data...say, new cases reported during July, and deaths reported since July 15th.  Not perfect by any means, but it normalizes the experiential factor.

The Russian vaccine thing.....take your pick of interpretation.  A global politics stunt?  An act of desperation?  A poke in the eye to (especially) the US for being so horrifically slow to approve a treatment plan...when at the same time advocating for such tight controls?  An *extremely* cynical argument is they're betting their own peoples' lives, figuring that if it doesn't work...no big deal.  If it does, they stand to make BILLIONS.  In that sense, it's a move by the oligarchs...and saying it's very likely with Putin's blessing (AND with a promise of a kickback) is barely another reach at all.

Comments in that thread are amusing, for the most part....but this one caught my eye:

wear glasses yes it's a pain, but I already have had Covid and the mask pain is so much better than throwing up from both ends a fever and now 8 weeks later still can't walk a mile.

Florida is a mess, too:

This, on top of all the alleged reporting suppression.

Is it really so surprising that a sheriff would issue these kinds of orders?  Especially given that while the city council tried to pass a mask requirement, the mayor vetoed it?