Coronavirus

Steve

Johnson & Johnson announced late Monday it is temporarily pausing recruitment and dosing of its coronavirus vaccine in clinical trials due to an “unexplained illness in a study participant.”

The independent drug safety monitoring board for J&J’s phase 3 ENSEMBLE trial is reviewing the unexpected event.

This vaccine does not have to be frozen, so it's easier to transport and store than the other company's vaccines.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/12/johnson-coronavirus-vaccine-paused-429126

2 hours ago, Old Man said:

Meanwhile, I'd put this in another post but the damn board software would just merge it anyway, so: Excess deaths: Go ahead and raise the US death toll by another 75000

This is more or less what I expected, unfortunately.  The likeliness of coronavirus overreporting being higher than underreporting is low... because overreporting would require faulty tests or processes.  The former is conceivable, but the latter wouldn't be nationwide.  The third, conspiracy, is unlikely.  Particularly country-wide, where political influences are divided.

But it's quite probable that deaths are being missed, given that the loss of facilities and resources aren't technically counted.  This doesn't change the deadliness of the virus, but it changes our estimation on how effective our response has been.

So yes, we are pretty much at 300k deaths in terms of our response effectiveness.  Over 8 months or so.

There is a lot I could say, but the flotsam and jetsam rising to the top of my brain is pretty much this: at this time next year, I hope all of us are still around and commenting on these boards.  Maybe some of us are getting to be old codgers, but this is a damn wonderful community.  I've never met any of you in person and maybe never will, nor am I the best or most prolific writer here, but dang, this is a great community of nut-jobs to be part of.  Stay safe and I look forward to your next posts!

Had someone I know pop positive for Coronavirus today.

I was already headed into the Dr. Office for a persistent cough and shortness of breath.  Went through all of the usual and they decided to test me for Strep, Flu and Coronavirus.

Whoever invented the Coronavirus test deserves to be shot.  Rather, cut repeatedly, basted in honey and laid on the bank of a river where salmon are being hunted by grizzly bears.

The Q-tip like end was so swollen I was dubious about getting it into my TMA/MMA mangled nose in the first place.  The right nostril was a complete no-go.  I couldn't even get it to the bridge of my nose.  I can barely breathe out of that nostril as it is mostly scar tissue and my septum is deviated.  Other nostril I got further in and the nurse - between laughing fits - suggested I should aim for behind my eye.  I had blood on the f'ing Q-tip before I could get the last inch in.

This thing is designed for brain trauma.

Luckily the Flu test swap is thin enough you can actually slide it up your nostrils and into your sinus cavity.  Success.

The last one - a vomit-inducing tickler that you have to rub "over your tonsils".  I have no idea where that is I haven't had tonsils for 44 years.  I swabbed over my uvula and various parts of my throat will gagging repeatedly.

I do not enjoy the self-testing lane of the Dr's Office.  I would prefer the nurse or doctor wield the instruments of torture so I have a small chance of getting a valid test result.

They of course did not call me back as promised nor update my online records.  I did get an antibiotic so I **suspect** that only the strep test came back positive.

We'll see how it goes.

18 hours ago, ScottishFox said:

I was already headed into the Dr. Office for a persistent cough and shortness of breath.  Went through all of the usual and they decided to test me for Strep, Flu and Coronavirus.

Whoever invented the Coronavirus test deserves to be shot.  Rather, cut repeatedly, basted in honey and laid on the bank of a river where salmon are being hunted by grizzly bears.

The Q-tip like end was so swollen I was dubious about getting it into my TMA/MMA mangled nose in the first place.  The right nostril was a complete no-go.  I couldn't even get it to the bridge of my nose.  I can barely breathe out of that nostril as it is mostly scar tissue and my septum is deviated.  Other nostril I got further in and the nurse - between laughing fits - suggested I should aim for behind my eye.  I had blood on the f'ing Q-tip before I could get the last inch in.

Luckily the Flu test swap is thin enough you can actually slide it up your nostrils and into your sinus cavity.  Success.

The last one - a vomit-inducing tickler that you have to rub "over your tonsils".  I have no idea where that is I haven't had tonsils for 44 years.  I swabbed over my uvula and various parts of my throat will gagging repeatedly.

I do not enjoy the self-testing lane of the Dr's Office.  I would prefer the nurse or doctor wield the instruments of torture so I have a small chance of getting a valid test result.

They of course did not call me back as promised nor update my online records.  I did get an antibiotic so I **suspect** that only the strep test came back positive.

We'll see how it goes.

17 hours ago, archer said:

Luckily, I tremble so much that my doctor would never trust me to attempt to self-test.

I can;t imsagine anyone wanting to self-test,

My first COVID test was a simple nose swab at my primary care clinic, that did not give a positive but left me hanging for a week. My second, a couple of months later, was the full Q-tip up your nose really, really far variety before my colonoscopy a few months back. It too was negative, or at least it must have as the procedure went ahead. I'm wondering if I need to get one now or whether I should wait for a procedure that requires it.

On 10/13/2020 at 9:26 PM, ScottishFox said:

We'll see how it goes.

I have enough trouble getting air up my nose.  I think if I suspect I have covid, I will just crawl under the porch and wait for death like an old feral cat.

10 hours ago, Old Man said:

I was scrolling down on Worldometers and came across the entry for the Diamond Princess, which at 712 cases used to be the hottest hot zone outside of China.  Ah, the good old days.

Similarly, the first US outbreak was Washington.  We freaked out at their situation back then...but their current rate has been a bit higher.  Of course, massively increased testing has to be a part of that.  They're actually still doing fairly well compared to most of the US.

52 minutes ago, Old Man said:

I also remember back when 200000 US deaths was the worst case scenario and the whole pandemic would be over by August.  Man that seems like a long time ago.

I remember back to yesterday when I showed my wife that graph you shared from the experts saying the public shouldn't expect a vaccine until September of next year.

My wife said, "That's what you told me back in April when the government announced Operation Warp Speed."

A prophet is not honored in his own country.