Coronavirus

Steve

3 hours ago, Cygnia said:

I have a fever, wet cough and muscle pains.  Waiting to hear back from the doctor now on when I can get tested. :(

I find it truly appalling that you cannot get tested right away nine months after the start of the pandemic and even more shocked at how uneven the testing availability is.

Alabama is by no means a hotbed of modern society, but we've had drive-in testing with 45 minute wait lines since June. My aunt, sister and I went in after my sister fell ill in one car. They gave us the brain swab, temperature checks and blood oxygen at curbside. My sister had blood oxygen in the low 80's and the doctor on site wrote her a hospital admittance on the spot. 

I don't know if you have a blood oxygen detector, but if you can get one and your reading is below 90, go to the hospital right away.

On 10/24/2020 at 4:00 AM, Old Man said:

I mean, lockdowns are almost irrelevant in this case.  All theater restrictions could be lifted tomorrow and they could immediately release Wonder Woman 1984, Black Widow, Captain Marvel 2, and No Time to Die, for free, and I still wouldn't go.  Would you?  Sit in an enclosed room for two hours with a couple dozen unmasked strangers shoveling popcorn into their faces?  That's a hard pass for me.  I'm sure you could get some people to go, but not enough to get theaters out of the red.

One of our local theaters was having "retro movie" nights, and were showing Ghostbusters and The Empire Strikes Back.  I very....very...............nearly went to see both of these, but chickened out--in ESB's 40th anniversary year no less!  I am still so twitchy about going into a theater that I will even pass on seeing beloved childhood classics on the big screen.

14 minutes ago, Cygnia said:

Finally got an appointment to be tested tomorrow morning...

Good luck.

If you have access to Vitamin D, you might try taking a fairly high dose of that 125mcg (5000IU), which is readily available in that size pills over the counter in pharmacies and groceries stores (at least in the US).

According to some early studies, that helps to lower the severity of your COVID experience...especially if you naturally have low levels of Vitamin D like I do.

I take two D3 vitamins a day...trust me, I know how it helps with depression in the first place.

I'm hoping it's just a cold.  But what was supposed to be a vacation for me turned into an abusive hell, leaving me physically vulnerable to infection

(No, hubby wasn't involved.  I was betrayed by someone who was supposed to be a friend)

Various United States War And Disease Death Tolls ->

400: Gulf War
1,000: Indian Wars
1,900: Desert Storm, 1990-1991
2,300: War Of 1812, 1812-1815
2,400: War in Afghanistan, 2003-
2,400: Spanish-American War, 1898-1902
2,600: Persian Gulf War
3,000: 9/11/2001
4,400: Iraq War, 2003-2010
4,400: Revolutionary War, 1775-1783
12,500: H1N1/Swine Flu, 2009-2010
13,300: Mexican-American War, 1846-1848
36,600: Korean War, 1950-1953
55,700: Flu/Pandemic, 2017
58,200: Vietnam War, 1964-1975
100,000: 1968 Pandemic
116,000: H2N2/Asian Flu, 1957-1958
116,500: World War 1, 1917-1918
121,400: Alzheimer's, 2017
222,000 (or 74 9/11s): Coronavirus, as of 10/21/2020
405,400: World War 2, 1941-1945
618,200: Civil War, 1861-1865
675,000: Spanish Flu, 1918-1920

8 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

And that was out of a population of 103-106 million. Probably most Americans knew someone who died from it. I can't imagine how terrifying that must have been to live through.

I have seen graves in the local graveyard of several younger people who died in their 20s, late 1918 through 1919

It was from Spanish Flu as it was 1913, but grandmother had an older sister who died from some fever at age 4 (grandmother not born till 1917, but it was always weird to know a relative had died like that)

The new-cases 7 day average today exceeds 70,000...higher than even the July peak.

One thing to remember is that death from infectious disease was extremely common.  

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/dvs/lead1900_98.pdf

I remember spending a fair bit of time doing some research into my family tree.  With at least one of my descendants in the, IIRC, mid 19th century, there were 5-6 children that died before age 10.  Polio was an absolute NIGHTMARE until the 1940s or 1950s.  IIRC, my aunt had life-long heart damage from German measles or scarlet fever...I forget exactly.

So, yeah, I'm sure it was frightening, but survival back then was FAR more tenuous anyway.

11 hours ago, Cygnia said:

I take two D3 vitamins a day...trust me, I know how it helps with depression in the first place.

I'm hoping it's just a cold.  But what was supposed to be a vacation for me turned into an abusive hell, leaving me physically vulnerable to infection

(No, hubby wasn't involved.  I was betrayed by someone who was supposed to be a friend)

Best wishes for a smooth recovery, and I'm sorry that a vacation turned into abusive hell.

I am trying to come up with good words for both things (sickness, abuse) and I don't think there are any.  I wish we could rally a throng of Herophiles to your support beyond these forums (though even on these forums, this remains one of the coolest groups of people I've ever found).

10 minutes ago, BarretWallace said:

Best wishes for a smooth recovery, and I'm sorry that a vacation turned into abusive hell.

I am trying to come up with good words for both things (sickness, abuse) and I don't think there are any.  I wish we could rally a throng of Herophiles to your support beyond these forums (though even on these forums, this remains one of the coolest groups of people I've ever found).

We could take up a collection for some hydroxychloroquine....

< ducks >

20 hours ago, Grailknight said:

I find it truly appalling that you cannot get tested right away nine months after the start of the pandemic and even more shocked at how uneven the testing availability is.

This part I found shocking as well.  It's so readily available here (north DFW area) that I didn't realize how hard it was to get in some places.  Like I can (and did) get tested same day at several locations within a 15 min drive.

Fingers crossed for a negative result and quick recovery, Cygnia.

If you're not experiencing symptoms and willing to wait a week+ for results, donated blood at the Red Cross is always tested for Covid-19 antibodies. I wasn't particularly worried that I might have had an asymptomatic case, but now I have actual negative test results I can show.

4 hours ago, archer said:

We could take up a collection for some hydroxychloroquine....

< ducks >

I'll settle for quality tonic water and gin ;)

If you're not experiencing symptoms and willing to wait a week+ for results, donated blood at the Red Cross is always tested for Covid-19 antibodies. I wasn't particularly worried that I might have had an asymptomatic case, but now I have actual negative test results I can show.

Yeah, about that...I'm dealing with anemia -- I don't have enough hemoglobin to donate.