100,000: 1968 Pandemic
116,000: H2N2/Asian Flu, 1957-1958
116,500: World War 1, 1917-1918
121,400: Alzheimer's, 2017
222,000 (or 74 9/11s): Coronavirus, as of 10/21/2020
405,400: World War 2, 1941-1945
618,200: Civil War, 1861-1865
675,000: Spanish Flu, 1918-1920

What were these figures compared to the US population at the same time?

--new high on daily counts, albeit barely...but Thursday and Friday have been the worst days insofar as the US is concerned, for a while

--7 day average broke 75,000...which means over 500,000 cases *last week*.  

--worldwide new cases broke 500,000 for the first time.

For their sakes, I'm just hoping Omaha doesn't have an explosion of cases.  You *have* to think that being out in the cold for so long is going to increase risks.

55 minutes ago, death tribble said:

America now has 9 million cases, Brazil has 8 million cases and Britain and Mexico are making a run for the 1 million case mark.

France and Spain now have 1 million cases and have overtaken Colombia.

Just think: a few days ago, the US broke the 7 million mark.

I wonder if this will help Americans grasp the concept of exponential growth?

I mean, they kind of grasp the idea of a video "going viral". Maybe they can soon relate that to other things like, I dunno, the spread of viruses?

On 10/28/2020 at 5:48 AM, Cygnia said:

I tested positive. :(

If it isn't too bad stay home, but don't be stoic.

Earlier in the pandemic, someone here (Old Man?) posted a chart of the differences in the treatments of people who survived serious Covid encounters and those who didn't.  The course of treatments were almost identical, but the survivors got the more aggressive treatments one day sooner.  Yep, that was it.  The doctors reaching for the big guns one day earlier in a significant number of cases made the difference between life and death.  How, we treat Covid has changed considerably in the months since that chart came out, but I would not be surprised if basic take away remains unchanged.  If things start to go south, do not hesitate to seek and demand aggressive treatment.  It can make a world of difference.

On 10/28/2020 at 6:59 AM, Cygnia said:

...I may be channeling Harper here at the end though. ;)

20201027_3475.jpg

4 hours ago, ScottishFox said:

Almost identical to the conversation I had with my daughter this year.  Once I agreed to buy her a big bag of mixed candies she couldn't care less about the costume and door to door collection.

4 hours ago, Cygnia said:

We had bought our candy before I got hit and hid it in the freezer to prevent us from devouring it all.  Well, we can't endanger the kids even more in our neighborhood by allowing them to come to the house... :eg:

I am quite ashamed to admit that the three bags of Fun Size candy I bought did not last long at all. Chocolate Therapy is real, and was probably detrimental to my blood sugar and overall health.

Since I've been required to do on a plant-based diet by my dietician, which I am for the most part holding to, and since I'll be home for Thanksgiving, I'm seriously looking at getting a Tofurkey roast. Now a Tofurky's resemblance to actual food humans can consume is tenuous at best, but they make decent (if expensive) pseudo-deli-slices. I'm not exactly looking forward to it, but I must do something. I just don't know what.

Good chocolate isn't that bad for blood sugar control.  The usual commercial stuff...no, it's drek.  Talking the higher-end stuff, 50%+ cocoa, preferably nothing added except maybe salt or nuts.  Sugar content is quite manageable;  just read the label.  I also have some Guittard 100% cocoa powder, dutch processed;  it's listed for baking and drinking.  A tablespoon has 2 grams of carbs...1 gram is fiber.  NO sugar.  I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk...call it 4 ounces...and 2-4 ounces of almond milk creamer.  The lower amount if the creamer has sugar in it;  most of em aren't that bad but it'll add up.  Basically pay attention.  3-4 drops of liquid Stevia, a good shake of cinnamon, maybe a half teaspoon of real vanilla extract.  I have a stick blender with a whisk attachment to get everything blended.  Maybe a minute in the microwave...you DON'T want it boiling here, just hot so the cocoa powder dissolves easier...blend it all together.  Maybe 20-30 seconds back in the 'wave after that and it's good to go.  

Cut this in half to make a mocha, where you'll add a double shot espresso to combine with this.  Can also do the same with a couple cups of dark roasted coffee brewed up preferably in a French press.  Last, at night, include a couple ounces of liqueurs...Kahlua, Creme de cacao, and amaretto in any combo all work.

I tried some of the mushroom-based beef substitutes;  they're not bad.  I got the ground, but NOT pre-formed, because I'll take that and add flavor...bit of oil for cooking purposes, soy sauce for moisture and salt, and whatever spices strike my fancy.  The biggest problem is the stuff has terrible texture and falls apart rather easily.  With pre-formed slices...hmm.  I might try a breading style.  Flour mixed with salt, finely cracked pepper, garlic powder, and powdered Italian herbs...roll/crush them yourself.  They're gonna get used right then and there so staleness wouldn't be an issue.  Doing it this way gets all the seasonings well blended through the coating.  That was my trick with chicken parm, but the herbs were included with the bread crumbs.  At that point they didn't need to be crushed.  The fine spices with the flour, the coarse with the bread crumbs.  But the bread crumbs can be skipped...single or double dip in the flour...to keep the carbs down from that.

5 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

I am quite ashamed to admit that the three bags of Fun Size candy I bought did not last long at all. Chocolate Therapy is real, and was probably detrimental to my blood sugar and overall health.

Since I've been required to do on a plant-based diet by my dietician, which I am for the most part holding to, and since I'll be home for Thanksgiving, I'm seriously looking at getting a Tofurkey roast. Now a Tofurky's resemblance to actual food humans can consume is tenuous at best, but they make decent (if expensive) pseudo-deli-slices. I'm not exactly looking forward to it, but I must do something. I just don't know what.

If there's a Honey-baked Ham franchise in your area, they make a pretty good Thanksgiving dinner.

Oh man...

With about 2+ hours left in the reporting day for WorldOMeters, we've already reached (almost) the highest number of new cases;  81,142 as of just now, with the record a touch under 81,600.  We might break 90,000.  And probably break 1000 deaths.

But we've turned the corner!!!

(smack dab into a light post....)

EDIT:  it is now 5:20 our time, and yes, we have surpassed 82,000, ergo...new high.  Until tomorrow probably.

EDIT2:  arrgh...91,000 and change.

And don't think all of Texas is doing wonderfully, anyone.  All non-essential services are shut down in El Paso for 2 weeks, effective midnight tonight.  It is a nightmare.  1100 new cases today;  22 new ICU cases today.  17% (!!!!!) positivity rate.