Coronavirus

Steve

On 10/31/2020 at 12:42 PM, Cygnia said:

Sense of smell is gone (tested on several usually potent items), sense of taste is still around.  Fever has died down as has my muscle aches.  Runny nose and scratchy throat.  Husband has COVID now too.

I really want the two of you to beat this like Ginger Baker beat his drums, or like the woman in this music video:

My sense of smell is slowly coming back today.  Could faintly detect the cinnamon stick when I made applesauce earlier.  Mind you, now the hubby's losing his sense of smell.

But we woke up EARLY today for voting.  Double-masked and wore latex gloves while waiting for curbside pollsters.  I felt so forensical!

28 minutes ago, Cygnia said:

My sense of smell is slowly coming back today.  Could faintly detect the cinnamon stick when I made applesauce earlier.  Mind you, now the hubby's losing his sense of smell.

But we woke up EARLY today for voting.  Double-masked and wore latex gloves while waiting for curbside pollsters.  I felt so forensical!

Did you unmask and cough on anybody who refused to wear a mask because the whole thing is a hoax?  Y'know, just to help 'em support their assertion?

1 minute ago, Old Man said:

To help you work out your position on the Fauci Scale®, there were 108389 new cases in the US today.

Beat me to it.  Highest so far...and Thursday and Friday have been pretty consistently higher than the other days, at least for the last several weeks.

If both top 100K, as appears very likely, forget the weekend.  We'll hit the 10M mark Friday night.

Also, 1200 deaths.  That's not the be-all, end-all stat but it's something to follow.  (If nothing else, the overall number of serious cases should probably correlate.)  The 7 day average is just below 900, which is the highest since early September.  

Yeah, it's gonna go away Real Soon Now.  

El Paso County has a population of about 720,000.  3100 new cases TODAY!!!!!   So for every 230 people.....1 new case. 

21,000 active cases...so about 1 person in 35, in the entire county. 

1041 in the hospital. 

311 in ICU.  The county lists 234 ICU beds under normal circumstances.

This is what's at risk if an area loses control.  

25 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

This is what's at risk if an area loses control.  

Like the entire midwest?  The country as a whole is kind of just stubbornly trending upwards, and no state has a downward trajectory.  But there are some really scary per-capita increases across the midwest, starting with North and South Sturgis, and then Montana, Idaho, Utah, Iowa, Wyoming, Nebraska, Illinois...  And none of these places strike me as having huge surpluses of ICU capacity.

Meanwhile El Paso is having trouble finding space for more refrigerated morgue trailers.

4 hours ago, Old Man said:

To help you work out your position on the Fauci Scale®, there were 108389 new cases in the US today.

I'm not sure what you're doing on this thread. 

I have it on no less authority than the President of the United States of America that no one would be talking about COVID on the day after the election....

2 minutes ago, Old Man said:

I literally typed that exact sentence in my post, then realized I wasn't in the political thread, so I deleted it.  But believe me, I hear you.

I waited until two days after the election to post so I figured it was okay to talk about it again....

My apologies if it feels like beating a dead horse but...

a touch under 120,000 new cases.  That's almost 30% higher than last Thursday.

The 7 day average rose from 78,000 last Thursday to 96,000...about a 23% increase.

10 million cases overall is a lock tomorrow.  We only need 80,000 and change.  250,000 deaths is 7-9 days away.

We're 8th worst in both per capita case rates and per capita death rates, among countries with 1M or more people.

EDIT:  ugh...I didn't notice earlier.

Yesterday set a record for most deaths in a day, world-wide...beating the mid-April peak.  FIRST day to do so.

Until today, which beat it by a full 10%.

9000 deaths worldwide.  Just today.