Coronavirus

Steve

Speaking of which: Doctors fear more death as Dakotas experience virus 'sorrow'

The family experienced the crunch facing the health care system as John Bjorkman was flown to a hospital in Minnesota after his condition worsened. The family posted regular Facebook updates as he was transferred to an intensive care unit in Sioux Falls and placed on a ventilator.

Doctors are unsure how many more cases like Bjorkman’s that they can handle.

“At this time, we’re headed in a direction of overwhelming our health care systems and I think that’s closer than what people understand,” said Dr. Michael Pietila, a critical care physician at the Yankton Medical Clinic.

This morning I found this report on my state's (WA) COVID data dashboard; I assume it's been there a while and I hadn't noticed it.  It's a breakdown of outbreaks by settings (the first part is non-healthcare settings only; health facility outbreaks are further down the document).  This counts "outbreaks" not cases or deaths, but given the importance of "superspreaders" in large gatherings, there's some things here that are worth thinking  about.  It includes both cumulative counts and most-recent-week numbers, though "most recent" is two weeks back.

Finally had a official outbreak in my vicinity just before Halloween.  The mask mandate went into effect in the nearby town. Technically not in my bedroom community 20 minutes away.  Fortunately the library's handing out free masks.  Unfortunately I go blind if I wear one at at current temperatures so now I have to walk with my glasses off.  

9 hours ago, archer said:

I'm going in a whole new direction and blaming it on turkeys. Kind of like bird flu but with a 2020 new spin.

I'm going to get my revenge by eating one or two....

And I blame cranberries. Lots and lots of cranberries.

Hey, save some turkey and cranberries for me, as I have a lot of blame to dish out too.

The Governor held a press conference last night to announce a state-wide mask mandate. He's also requiring all college students and educators to get tested weekly, and he called for an end to social gatherings with people you don't live with. He stopped short implementing a lockdown, but he was very straightforward in saying that the time for debate and name-calling was done and that it was time to actually solve this problem.

I will say as an essential worker, when the protests hit in June, and governors did nothing to bring back the lockdown they allegedly believed in. And even outright encouragent. I read the message clearly.  I was a sacrificial pawn for their power. I don't enjoy being used that way.

Biden lost his chance for my vote.  Too bad Trump was the opponent. So, I could do nothing.

I have a lot of issues with my feelings on this election, but I will wait do so on the other thread when/if I get my mind straight.

On 11/8/2020 at 3:03 PM, Old Man said:

Thanksgiving is two point five weeks from now, btw.  Hope everyone has their lockdown Thanksgiving planned out.

My family is working on it. We're going to be meeting by Zoom, but I don't know the details.

I don't know what I'm going to do for myself concerning Thanksgiving dinner, but since I used to leave family Thanksgiving gatherings early this is not unusual. What is going to be unusual is cooking for myself and eating alone. That's I'm on doctor's orders to avoid meat (including poultry) complicates matters further. I've bad-mouthed Tofurky a lot, but I may end up having to find a smaller roast to give myself the illusion of a Thanksgiving. Of course, I don't have an appetite as big as I used to, so I don't know whether I could eat even a small roast by myself.

I'm concerned that I don't have the money or resources to cocoon again until we get a working vaccine. at least I'll be cozy warm in here, but I will be lonely and frustrated.