Coronavirus

Steve

On 11/12/2020 at 5:43 PM, unclevlad said:

Fed chairman on the economy down the road...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/12/economy/economy-after-covid-powell/index.html

I'd seen this headline but couldn't find the article until I saw the link. Thank you very much.

But if this changes everything, where does it lead us? 

1 hour ago, tkdguy said:

Some folks still deny COVID-19 exists even when they're dying from it.

The phrase "too stupid to live" leaps immediately to mind. I think my supply of empathy has been used up by these delusional types; now I just hope they die off fast to clear ICU beds for people who can make positive contributions to society if they recover.

31 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

I'd seen this headline but couldn't find the article until I saw the link. Thank you very much.

But if this changes everything, where does it lead us? 

Into a future of greater corporate control and wealth inequality.

1 hour ago, tkdguy said:

Some folks still deny COVID-19 exists even when they're dying from it.

Edit: This video is pretty disturbing. Brace yourself for it. The nurse's post is also on Twitter.

Extremely depressing.  Not even remotely surprising though. 

15 hours ago, archer said:

Not to get too political but I've always had a problem with the "get out to vote, it's your civic duty" schtick which people roll out at election time.

No, it's your civic duty to be informed and interested.

It isn't your civic duty to go out and vote at random, vote for the person with the best smile, or vote for the person with the best slogan. Sure, you're free to do it that way if you want but it isn't your duty to do it like that.

Yeah, I always do to some extent briefly in the aftermath. But, it really has lingered. That voting is pointless, that I wasted my time being informed.

Dont worry, I will shake it off eventually, but it has really lingered this year, probably due to my feelings of all involved this time around

4 hours ago, Badger said:

Yeah, I always do to some extent briefly in the aftermath. But, it really has lingered. That voting is pointless, that I wasted my time being informed.

Dont worry, I will shake it off eventually, but it has really lingered this year, probably due to my feelings of all involved this time around

In 2017 as the never-Trumper websites I frequented started going mindlessly (almost literally) pro-Trump one after the other, I quit political conversations, and broadly following the news, for 1.5 years. It's healthier to take time off than to dwell on your failure to make a difference.

Heck, in 2016. I shaped the narrative on the national news for two days in the aftermath of the Republican convention, which was a heck of an achievement for somebody who is a nobody. It didn't end up mattering.

But it easily could have.

All you can do is what you can do. What happens after that is out of your hands.

The people who you want in office rarely run for office. When they do run for office, they rarely win. When they do win, it's less than a month before they appoint your greatest enemy to be their chief of staff and start trying to push through legislation that you don't agree with. Then you end up spending most of your time fighting against the person who you wanted to be in office.

That's the world of being interested in politics and public policy. But it's important to be involved lest the maniacs run the asylum.

2 hours ago, Cancer said:

17 cases linked to a 300+ people wedding in Ritzville, WA

Been there, but not this century.  It's a dump.

Brings a question to mind.  You're invited to be a guest at a wedding...not in the wedding party in any way.  When you arrive, or at some point before the ceremony starts, you note that the crowd is getting...uncomfortably large, as per the story.  You are also by yourself;  you need not discuss things with a Significant Other.  Or, if you prefer...if you have the SO, consider advocating to stay or go, as it's not going to be a solo decision.  And if you choose to leave, assume you offer apologies to whomever you think needs one.

If everyone is masking, do you stay or go?  

If just a few people aren't masking, do you go, or stay and just avoid those people (if practical)?

If a significant percentage aren't masking, do you stay or go?  I suspect here, most of us would go.

I think if the numbers get that big, I'm quietly leaving even if everyone's masked.  The number of people, the amount of time...I would feel extremely uncomfortable staying.

Separate news I saw today...the world of watches is probably not something many here consider much.  There are a few major trade shows;  most were, of course, cancelled this year.  The biggest event  for the HIGH!!! end luxury market announced cancellation of their 2021 *live* event;  it will be 100% virtual, as it was this year.  That event was scheduled for April.  I think it points out:

a)  cancelling an event even as late as 2 months before it was scheduled is a Very Bad Thing for ALL involved.  (A different show cancelled late...and the hotels often did not return deposits.  Not the show's fault per se, but it illustrates the logistics issues.)

b)  there is just no way to know when conditions will make a show untenable...and this is a fairly major show

c)  there's no real chance that a vaccine can make a difference in this time frame...sure, it might exist, but deployment is going to take longer.

3 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Brings a question to mind.  You're invited to be a guest at a wedding...

I'd turn down the invitation so I'd never have any idea of the crowd size or whether they were masked or not.

I wasn't comfortable when visiting relatives last Christmas due to my coronavirus paranoia. Considering I got sick shortly afterward with some kind of malady which gave me shortness of breath for more than two months, I'd say I wasn't cautious enough back then.