Coronavirus

Steve

1 hour ago, Cancer said:

Add a few corporate board meetings while you're at it.

And yes, the point of my hospital visits are to meet with corporate IT folks, so that will happen as well. Have I hit the perfect storm yet?

I wonder how this will affect the big fan-type conventions, such as Gen Con? If this thing keeps spreading and more people go into panic mode, I think there’s a fair possibility that the biggest ones like Gen Con, Anime Expo and maybe the San Diego Comic Con could end up being ghost towns this year.

Was listening to the Chief Scientific Advisor on the radio this morning.

I think his message was that the big thing about coronavirus is that it is new.  It is not particularly deadly and only to those towards the end of their allotted span.  What it does not have is any checks to its spread except opportunity.  In most cases folk have immunity from closely related strains and from vaccinations which slow the spread in most cases to a dead stop.

The interesting factoid he gave was that, if this pans out into widespread infection then 50% of the UK would contract the virus in a three week period and 90% within a nine week period.  It is that level of disruption with between 50 and 90% of the whole population sick at the same time that is the concern.

Doc

Swine flu

Bird flu

H1N1

Yes; they're bad. 

But thus far, all of them have achieved the same level of frenzy and terror, and none of them have lived up to the hysteria the media created. 

Be smart; be intelligent; don't do dumb things.   But dont look for a species-sending plague, either. 

Just my two unprofessional cents worth. 

8 hours ago, Old Man said:

In all seriousness, good luck and try not to catch anything.

Appreciate that. Thanks. And for the record, I'm not doing anything other than washing my hands. Not wiping down any surfaces or wearing a mask or anything. So, if I get it, you'll know why. ;)

1 hour ago, Duke Bushido said:

Swine flu

Bird flu

H1N1

Yes; they're bad. 

But thus far, all of them have achieved the same level of frenzy and terror, and none of them have lived up to the hysteria the media created. 

Be smart; be intelligent; don't do dumb things.   But dont look for a species-sending plague, either. 

Just my two unprofessional cents worth. 

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I work around healthcare providers and none of them are freaking out.... yet. So, I'm going with the flow.

20 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

They all got it wrong.  Plagues don't spread in spite of all the massive precautions we take.  Plagues spread because as a singular group, humans beings are stupid as hell.....

....and we’re not the most hygienic of animals.

Our university has declared that classes and finals will not physically meet for the rest of the term (which is all next week, plus Monday the following week, in regular classes; finals are the four days after that).  Thankfully we got all of my lab class meetings in already.  But the lecture material remaining is still a chunk to be covered, and how to deal with a non-local final is a challenge even for my dice methods.

Wimps.