Coronavirus

Steve

Well, went back to grocery store (needed bread again), things were sort of calmer.   Though they did place limits on 2 water packs, and one toilet packs per customer.   Bought one of the toilet paper packs just in case.  Meat aisle in back obliterated.  Milk too (except for soy milk and the like).  I don't drink milk anyway as it no longer agrees with my intestinals.   Also bought a couple cans each of tuna and Chef Boyardee Beef Ravioli, in case I need to stretch a day or 2 in the future.

My mother does plan to grocery shop tomorrow, so we could loophole the toilet pack limit, I suppose.  (though she does tend to buy several packs at a time, every few times she goes, and we are evidently more stocked up than I thought).

Edit: Did forget to check on my water.  I don't drink any of the straight up water, but I usually drink the Food Lion brand flavored water (mostly Peach, White grape, and Kiwi-Strwberry)

On 3/16/2020 at 3:25 AM, Old Man said:

I have to say, one thing I wasn't anticipating was the closure of stores that sell TP.  Or the possibility of a really bad recession that might affect the production and distribution of it.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that based on the last week, the part of the paper industry that produces bath tissue is going to be about as bulletproof in the coming financial troubles as it's possible for a company to be. Clearly people are still going to be buying toilet tissue if that leaves them bankrupt and they have to resort to eating stray animals or the menu at Applebee's.

43 minutes ago, Doc Democracy said:

RE panic buying.  I went to put in an order for online shopping today.  No slots for THREE weeks.  That is longer than any self-isolation advice.  Better to isolate and go out and pick it up yourself in two weeks time. 

People are crazy...

Naturally you are assuming that people will have settled down in two weeks time.

It's possible that they will be even more frenzied when you have to go out and pick it up yourself.

At least they will be polite Brexit supporting Tory types, not dreadful Corbyn supporters. Hooray!

2 hours ago, assault said:

Naturally you are assuming that people will have settled down in two weeks time.

It's possible that they will be even more frenzied when you have to go out and pick it up yourself.

At least they will be polite Brexit supporting Tory types, not dreadful Corbyn supporters. Hooray!

I think that the issues with toilet paper will be done, everyone, by that time will be filled to the brim with toilet paper - it keeps coming in to the shops every morning.  We make it here.

I think we will also be sorted for so many other things.  As it is, I think that I will be able to go out and pick up things I need as opposed to things I want.

As for "dreadful Corbyn supporters"...MY PEOPLE!! 🙂

Doc

One of my House mates works for a movie theater company on the sales programming side. He is now on a (at least)  3 week unpaid furlough. He's a bit worried. Not a macho guy, he was still the main bread winner for the family. It's even worse for the guys selling popcorn or collecting tickets, he knows.

Just now, Starlord said:

NBA Megastar Kevin Durant tests positive with no symptoms.

Is it troubling to anyone else that rich folks and celebrities seem to be getting tested pretty easily?

It cheeses me off

I got nothing against Kevin Durant or even most other rich folk. I haven't met them, I don't know them.

But the unspoken message of 'people who matter' vs 'folks who can #$## off and die because they're don't' seems deafening to me and I have to wonder why others aren't outraged by it.

Yes...yes, it is.

On a more personal front, my best friend is in the hospital.  Not because of coronavirus, but because of severe dehydration due to her Crohn's.  She can't keep liquids down and is scheduled for a colonoscopy today.  She texted me to say the hospital is a madhouse :(