Coronavirus

Steve

5 minutes ago, assault said:

More Australia:
One of the nation's toughest coronavirus lockdowns comes into place in South Australia

This lockdown was triggered by a cluster of only 23 identified cases.

Australian fools, putting lives ahead of the economy like that!  And thereby saving the economy!  How dare they make us look so bad!

CDC's data is from this morning;  it doesn't have the numbers from today.  Today was the 2900, ergo the extremely high rate.  To be sure, it was one Very Bad day.  And I looked at our daily numbers;  they're inconsistent, albeit with no obvious pattern;  and the last day on the daily numbers charts is the 13th.  But 2900 is a TON, and unless the data is wildly inconsistent as to reporting lag, I don't expect this is going to be the only Very Bad day.

BUT, it also raised the 7 day average over at the NY Times;  it's 77.8.  NY Times says an average of 1635 for the last 7 days, so that's 1 per...1250 or so.  North Dakota is reported at about 1400 cases per day, average...with only 700,000 people, yeah, that's 1 per 500.

Welcome to the world of Covid.  You only thought you knew what it would be like.

8 hours ago, Cancer said:

States with over 90 new cases per 100K, as of noon Wednesday:

State/Territory Cases in Last 7 Days per 100K
North Dakota 198.9
South Dakota 161.6
Iowa 146.4
Wyoming 128.2
Wisconsin 118
Minnesota 108.8
Nebraska 105.1
Montana 100.6
Illinois 96

Utah

New Mexico is another eleven spots down at 63.5

(source)

This is one case where I am not proud that my state ranks so high.

Gov. Walz announced a slew of new restrictions yesterday (https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020/11/18/coronavirus-restrictions-mn-gov-walz-announces-restrictions-on-social-gatherings-restaurants-gyms-and-youth-sports/).  I can't say that any of his announcement comes as a surprise.  What struck me the most about his announcements was the delivery.  I found Walz to be eloquent and to the point.  He also described how this is affecting his own family, so it's not like he's asking us to do something he's unwilling to do himself.  While this may be a dubious thing to feel any pride about, in these times I'll take what I can get.

1 hour ago, Cygnia said:

I suspect curfews are just bowing to the pressure that a complete closure brings.  But I agree, the logic isn't particularly good.

Well, we dodged 200,000 new cases today...only 192K.

We didn't dodge 2000 deaths.  Which is one every 45 seconds......

I work with conspiracy theorists. Ray claimed that if you got killed in an motorcycle accident and your body was tested and was positive they would mark it down as a Covid related death. it's like the local ME/Coroner is not going to run tests in an obvious cause of death case. It's like they have totally forgotten Blanch Taylor Moore.

CES    

2 hours ago, csyphrett said:

I work with conspiracy theorists. Ray claimed that if you got killed in an motorcycle accident and your body was tested and was positive they would mark it down as a Covid related death. it's like the local ME/Coroner is not going to run tests in an obvious cause of death case. It's like they have totally forgotten Blanch Taylor Moore.

CES    

See, I know who she is, but I wonder if today's medical professionals do...

Spoiler

Notorious "Black Widow" murderer in the 80's who killed via arsenic.

8 hours ago, csyphrett said:

CES    

Who?  Oh.  Nice lady there...

If they have, I can't say as I blame them.  The conviction was 30 years ago.  

They'd run a tox screen for booze or drugs to see if they helped lead to the accident, as that can be a key part of any wrongful death claims, and possibly for insurance claims.

But...there were 5172 motorcycle fatalities in the US, in 2017;  the numbers stayed in a very narrow band for quite a while, so it's likely that's a decent estimate.  How many could have tested positive for covid?  Granted, the obvious conspiratorial counter is, it's not just motorcycle accidents, man.....  

I sometimes wonder what it'd take to get the deniers to wake up...other than Trump reversing himself and declaring a national medical state of emergency.  THAT ain't gonna happen.  I know the numbers from El Paso were big for me...but that was more about finally quantifying the bad outcomes other than dying.  IIRC last night it was about1000 in the hospital, 300 in ICU and 200 on ventilators.  That's just one smallish city, albeit one with one of the worst outbreaks.  According to  https://covidtracking.com/data there are about 80,000 people in the hospital right now from it.

Again, of course, the 'counter' is, it's all lies and inflated numbers and half those are flu cases and........  

The degree of willful ignorance is truly terrifying.

The key point is they never tested for arsenic in her victims until the last guy when the hospital told her to quit bringing cookies to the hospital. The thing is a coroner is not going to check for a disease when the cause of death is splattered by a semi. It might show up in a tox screen accidentally, but at the start of the pandemic I would think this is unlikely. And I would think it doubly unlikely they would put that down when the cause of death is blunt force trauma

It's just the guy was in the Navy, and he should know better than this but he doesn't

CES