Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fever broke last night. I'm going to be okay.

I tested positive.

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, death tribble said:

Lewis Hamilton has contracted Coronavirus and will not be in the next Formula 1 Grand Prix

 https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/55142428


You mean someone else might actually win for once?

 

Nah, this is Lewis Hamilton, he’ll wind up on top of the podium somehow anyway. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone I work with during tax season got it and after 10 days in ICU passed away. We do not know if he got it while working (he hadnt really been in as offseason hours are minimal) or traveling to take care of his granddaughter or somewhere else. Given I am supposed to start up again on the 14th, my confidence in safety is at a low and I may have to bite the bullet and inform my boss I am not willing to work, as my wife's 88 year old parents live 100 yards from us and she visits them all the time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, slikmar said:

Someone I work with during tax season got it and after 10 days in ICU passed away. We do not know if he got it while working (he hadnt really been in as offseason hours are minimal) or traveling to take care of his granddaughter or somewhere else. Given I am supposed to start up again on the 14th, my confidence in safety is at a low and I may have to bite the bullet and inform my boss I am not willing to work, as my wife's 88 year old parents live 100 yards from us and she visits them all the time.

 

I appreciated the consideration the lady at the title company gave us today. 

 

She put us in one room with a pile of paperwork to sign then went to sit in a separate room. She came in the room with us only to collect stacks of paper we'd signed and to answer the one or two questions we had.

 

When I had to borrow a pen, she had a brand new one to give me and I got to keep it rather than her getting it back to give to someone else. And, hey, I love me a free pen.

 

 

That was a much more pleasant experience than H&R Block for taxes in April. They had employees who were hit and miss on wearing masks (as they went in the back, took of their masks, and returned to the front without remembering to put the mask back on) and customers who treated coming to the office as mask-optional when masks were supposed to be mandatory.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ugh.

 

Double ugh.

 

Another day with 200K+ new cases.  And most deaths in a single day yet...over 2800.

 

NYT had an article this morning showing there's been a rather strong correlation between new cases, and deaths 3 weeks later;  1.7% of new cases -> deaths.  So we're probably looking at an average of 3,000 deaths per day between now and Christmas...if not more, if the Thanksgiving travel and celebrations create the surge that's feared.  We'll blow through 300,000 deaths before then;  we're just under 280,000 now.  So it's looking more like 350,000 by New Years.

 

<sigh>

 

And I'm very much afraid the death rate will worsen, as hospitals can't keep up.  Current hospitalizations now exceed 100,000.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hospitals are filling up in California, Oregon, Texas, and the Dakotas at least, off the top of my head.  As for the data, cases may actually be underreported as backlogs from the Thanksgiving weekend are worked through.  Epidemiologists are issuing apocalyptic-sounding quotes about the next three months in the U.S., without exaggeration.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The city of L.A. just went on the strictest lockdown since March: all residents are required to stay in their homes except when conducting essential activities or essential employment.  All travel is otherwise banned.  All gatherings with people outside the household are banned.

 

On the one hand, it's awful.  On the other hand, what took them so long?

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, archer said:

I appreciated the consideration the lady at the title company gave us today. 

 

She put us in one room with a pile of paperwork to sign then went to sit in a separate room. She came in the room with us only to collect stacks of paper we'd signed and to answer the one or two questions we had.

 

When I had to borrow a pen, she had a brand new one to give me and I got to keep it rather than her getting it back to give to someone else. And, hey, I love me a free pen.

 

That was a much more pleasant experience than H&R Block for taxes in April. They had employees who were hit and miss on wearing masks (as they went in the back, took of their masks, and returned to the front without remembering to put the mask back on) and customers who treated coming to the office as mask-optional when masks were supposed to be mandatory.

 

Huh.  My wife and I went to a title company to sign our mortgage refi yesterday, too.

 

Ours was done outdoor - the lady came out to our car and gave us the papers to sign, then took batches of them inside to check them periodically (there were a LOT of papers to sign).  We were told to bring our own blue pens and a hard surface to write upon.  Nice and easy drive-thru title signing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Ugh.

 

Double ugh.

 

Another day with 200K+ new cases.  And most deaths in a single day yet...over 2800.

 

NYT had an article this morning showing there's been a rather strong correlation between new cases, and deaths 3 weeks later;  1.7% of new cases -> deaths.  So we're probably looking at an average of 3,000 deaths per day between now and Christmas...if not more, if the Thanksgiving travel and celebrations create the surge that's feared.  We'll blow through 300,000 deaths before then;  we're just under 280,000 now.  So it's looking more like 350,000 by New Years.

 

<sigh>

 

And I'm very much afraid the death rate will worsen, as hospitals can't keep up.  Current hospitalizations now exceed 100,000.

 

Oh, c'mon. Who can't tolerate a 9-11 sized disaster every day? Are we wimps or what?

 

...whoa, sorry there.

 

I really shouldn't channel Trump's Twitter account on an empty stomach.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Old Man said:

The city of L.A. just went on the strictest lockdown since March: all residents are required to stay in their homes except when conducting essential activities or essential employment.  All travel is otherwise banned.  All gatherings with people outside the household are banned.

 

On the one hand, it's awful.  On the other hand, what took them so long?

 

Well, the scary part is that in the continental United States our cases per capita is rate is the 16th lowest.  So there are 34 states doing worse than us*.

 

 

 

* - If the math doesn't seem to work out, it is because I am including DC as one of the places doing better than us.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't read past the headline, but there was, IIRC, a CNN article (might've been NYT) talking about California's relative paucity of hospital beds.  One sensible (IMO) guide to how tight restrictions should be, is how close you are to hitting full capacity.

 

So some of this could be an indictment of long-term spending policies at state and local levels.  And possibly of the voter base;  how much of this was denying funding?  And how much of this was a side effect of spending restrictions...doesn't Cali have a balanced budget requirement?  Seems like long-term investment might be delayed in favor of more pressing needs...oops.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...