Coronavirus

Steve

Juan Williams, co-host of the Fox News afternoon talk show “The Five,” has tested positive for COVID-19.

He was informed that he had tested positive Thursday after a routine Monday weekly test at the Fox News NY headquarters.

So basically he exposed everyone at their studios last week and this week. Supposedly the network enforces CDC rules on masks and distancing while people are off the air. While on the air, the hosts of The Five have been sitting seven feet apart...despite several of them insisting alternately that the virus is a Democrat hoax or that it is a virus but isn't dangerous or that Trump saved us all from the dangerous virus (depending on the theme of each particular segment of the show).

The hosts of The Five did their show remotely on Thursday rather than meeting together after William's infection became known.

After Williams found out he was infected, he traveled from NY to DC so he could stay at a hotel close to home.

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/528717-fox-news-co-host-juan-williams-tests-positive-for-covid-19

56 minutes ago, archer said:

Biden has asked Fauci to serve as his chief medical adviser in addition to staying on in his longtime role as the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. 

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/528677-biden-asked-fauci-to-serve-as-chief-medical-adviser

I call this good news!  It's a plus to have some continuity of key personnel through the pandemic.

5 hours ago, archer said:

Biden has asked Fauci to serve as his chief medical adviser in addition to staying on in his longtime role as the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. 

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/528677-biden-asked-fauci-to-serve-as-chief-medical-adviser

4 hours ago, BarretWallace said:

I call this good news!  It's a plus to have some continuity of key personnel through the pandemic.

And President Biden will probably even listen to him!

For the linguistically impaired:

'One problem in this pandemic is the vagueness of the bureaucratic language. Words like "recommendation" and " should" ought to be understood as "GODDAMMIT, THIS IS HOW YOU DO THINGS NOW, ASSHATS, OR MAY YOUR SOFTSHELL TACO WRAPS ALWAYS GET MOLDY IN THE BAG!"'

That's a curse that ought to strike fear into the heart of every Swede. 

FB_IMG_1607161546431.jpg

9 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Current IHME projections expect 538,000 US deaths by 4/1/2021.  That's including lockdowns and rapid vaccine rollout.

One thing to note is that the rapid vaccine rollout isn't a factor until *March*.

I also fear that the expected projection doesn't take into account that there may be quite a few cases from Christmas gatherings and travel.

This weekend the virus struck close to home, so to speak.  One of the "kids" (I call them that even though they're adult and moved out) tested positive, and is in rough shape but recovering.  My mother in law likewise tested positive; I'm a little more worried about her due to age (but will never say that to her face because she'd kick my @$$).

Thankfully, my better half and I both tested negative.  We've both been careful with virus precautions (masking, no unnecessary trips, keeping a tight bubble, etc.) and consider our negative tests to be a good sign that our habits are working.  On a quasi-selfish note, it also means we probably aren't the vector for the "kids" or mother in law.  We're also taking this as a sign that it's not yet time to ease up on our safety precautions.  Neither of us plans to go anywhere for Christmas gatherings, which sucks, but we are putting some aspects of life on pause, not stopping them.

I am fortunate to work in an environment that facilitates virus precautions (private cubicle, private lab space, ready availability of PPE and cleansing products, strict masking and distancing rules, etc.).