Coronavirus

Steve

1 hour ago, Cancer said:

Meanwhile, business as usual

Can you spell "class action lawsuit" where every infected worker at that plant, goes after the managers?  MAYBE Tyson as well, but it seems very likely these managers were acting completely on their own.  Criminal charges might be possible too, but the standards of evidence are different for a criminal trial.  

Within a day or two, the US will have the 2nd highest per capita infection rate of any country with at least 1 million population, passing Belgium.  #1 is Czechia;  their infection rate is really bad.  At its worst, their rate was about 70% *higher* than what we have.  15,000 cases a day...in a country of only 10M.  

We are just about reach the point where one person in 19 in the US has tested positive...but in about 9 days at this rate, well pass 1 person in 17.  Oh...and in less time than that...1 person out of every 1000 will have died.

5 hours ago, tkdguy said:

Can you tl;dr this one for me? The website wants to to take down my ad blocker.

Email transcripts from Paul Alexander, who was installed by President Trump in April to lead the HHS’ communications efforts.  HHS is going out of its way to show that he had no effect on HHS policy, which is good, because...

Crucial Quote 

“So the bottom line is if it is more infectiouness [sic] now, the issue is who cares?  If it is causing more cases in young, my word is who cares…as long as we make sensible decisions, and protect the elderely [sic] and nursing homes, we must go on with life….who cares if we test more and get more positive tests,” Alexander wrote to senior HHS officials on July 3. 

The article shows that this guy went on and on about this over the summer, apparently.

Ugh....10K+ new cases for the last 3 days in Tenn.  With < 7M people.  Yeah, that's acute stupidity.  That's about twice as bad as Florida at their worst.  That's talent....

US 7 day moving average for daily deaths has now crossed the 2500 threshold, and it's anyone's guess as to when it'll drop back below that.  3500 new deaths yesterday;  just missed 3000 Tuesday.  Should comfortably break 3000 today.  Daily new cases average is over 218,000, so 3000+ deaths per day is unfortunately going to be a sustained rate.  The case rate won't miraculously drop, so at best, at this point, that 3000 deaths per day will hold until probably late January to early February.

51 minutes ago, Matt the Bruins said:

Considering the effort Florida has been putting into winning the title for several months, that's pretty impressive Hermit!

Thank you! The competition to the race of idiocy has been fierce

44 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

The impression I get is that Florida has been spreading its stupid around more generally, so probably can't concentrate it on winning in one area. ;)

You're very kind to say so. Though a lot of Florida Man has to do with their Sunshine/transparency laws so their stupidity gets in the news more often while others are on the downlow. 

But honestly our Governor is a twit when it comes to handling this.

10 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Ugh....10K+ new cases for the last 3 days in Tenn.  With < 7M people.  Yeah, that's acute stupidity.  That's about twice as bad as Florida at their worst.  That's talent....

US 7 day moving average for daily deaths has now crossed the 2500 threshold, and it's anyone's guess as to when it'll drop back below that.  3500 new deaths yesterday;  just missed 3000 Tuesday.  Should comfortably break 3000 today.  Daily new cases average is over 218,000, so 3000+ deaths per day is unfortunately going to be a sustained rate.  The case rate won't miraculously drop, so at best, at this point, that 3000 deaths per day will hold until probably late January to early February.

Tennessee doesn't want to lose that business money so is really reluctant to close up anything for long. It's mostly 'if you please' 'or would you kindly'..with no teeth. And , at the risk of going further into politics, the Anti-Masker vibe here set in early and strong.  

I suppose the fact that we're a big 'drive through' state also helps ...err hurts. Tennessee shares borders with like 7 other states so there's always someone ready to give us their covid if it looks like we might run out, and since it seems 70% of us don't wear masks... we'll be sure to snag it where others with masks would have a better chance rebuffing.

I am actually worried about visiting my family for Christmas. I am also sure they'll be totally pissed if I don't.

Have you talked to them about why you're hesitant? It's not my intention to pry, but I expect many of us are facing that dilemma this season, and sharing strategies may be broadly beneficial.

My immediate family include quite a few members in the higher-risk categories, and we're all on side with continuing to keep separated as much as possible.

17 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

Have you talked to them about why you're hesitant? It's not my intention to pry, but I expect many of us are facing that dilemma this season, and sharing strategies may be broadly beneficial.

My immediate family include quite a few members in the higher-risk categories, and we're all on side with continuing to keep separated as much as possible.

Well, I've already gotten a hotel room.. (Which I plan to hose down wwith disinfectant etc) rather than staying at their house. They're upset by that, but it will be less cramped on top of everything else

EDIT: What works best was telling them that I hadfolks here in the other part of the state 'at risk'

I should be clear.. my folks are actually PRO mask .. IJust think Christmas if the final line for them