Coronavirus

Steve

The biology teacher across the hall from me--the one who's a hardcore Trump supporter, the one who grumbled about the necessity of the masking and cleaning measures we had to implement in the school this year, the one who insisted that COVID-19 would "disappear the day after the election"--just dropped into my room to tell me he's being sent home because he's tested positive for COVID-19.

Shit.

58 minutes ago, Pariah said:

I got a 15-minute test and it came back negative. We go on winter break after today, so I won't be in contact with anyone except my family until January 4th. Should be okay.

I don't know that I trust the rapid tests, I've had 2 relatives get false positives from them.

2 hours ago, Pariah said:

The biology teacher across the hall from me--the one who's a hardcore Trump supporter, the one who grumbled about the necessity of the masking and cleaning measures we had to implement in the school this year, the one who insisted that COVID-19 would "disappear the day after the election"--just dropped into my room to tell me he's being sent home because he's tested positive for COVID-19.

Shit.

First, I add my wishes that you stay safe over the holidays.

Second... this guy teaches biology?! :no:

6 hours ago, Pariah said:

Not the kind of thing which should have been handled through dropping by your room, IMHO.

Just another example of a meeting that should have been an e-mail.

I'm at home now, and after conversing with my daughter's pediatrician (whom she was supposed to have an appointment with on Monday) we've been advised to go into quarantine. We'll go in Monday or Tuesday and get tested, but it looks like we're on our own at least until Christmas. Which is unfortunate, because Lady P's mother has a birthday next week.

19 minutes ago, death tribble said:

The way the death toll is rising that will not happen.

More cases ? yes but the death toll will not top 350,000 by 1st January 2021. 

Huh?  The current 7 day average is over 2500 deaths per day.  12 days, that's 30,000 deaths.  And we're already over 320,000.  So if it remains the same, we'll probably top 350K.  It's been *rising* too.  Death rates tend to track case rates with about a 3 week lag.  So saying "will not" is a significant overstatement.

One does see somewhat different counts, tho, so this can be a factor, but based on the new cases numbers, we may well see an average of closer to 3500 deaths per day.  That'll spike any count I've seen over 350,000 before NYD.

1 hour ago, death tribble said:

I am going by Worldometer and I don't see 2,000 plus deaths a day.

But Britain and Turkey now have 2 million cases

For the US?  7 day average is basically 2600 right now.  

Click on the USA data and scroll down to the graphs;  they're below the state-by-state numbers.  If you're looking at the world numbers, at what *time*?  The reporting day may not be completed.  On the World page, look at the Yesterday and 2 days ago tabs;  those are complete.  But the 7-day average on the US data page avoids the day-of-week fluctuations;  Sunday's always lower, Thurs/Fri are usually the highest.