Coronavirus

Steve

Just now, Cygnia said:

Yes...yes, it is.

On a more personal front, my best friend is in the hospital.  Not because of coronavirus, but because of severe dehydration due to her Crohn's.  She can't keep liquids down and is scheduled for a colonoscopy today.  She texted me to say the hospital is a madhouse :(

I know you are the Saint of Atheists, but I hope you don't mind 'good vibes and well wishes' for your friend.

1 hour ago, Hermit said:

One of my House mates works for a movie theater company on the sales programming side. He is now on a (at least)  3 week unpaid furlough. He's a bit worried. Not a macho guy, he was still the main bread winner for the family. It's even worse for the guys selling popcorn or collecting tickets, he knows.

I work for one of the big 3 Movie Theater chains in the US and we just closed all of our US based theaters as of today.

Reduced hours for everyone at corporate and we all know that the theater workers are going to get soaked (0 hours).  :(

I get my "conservative side" news from National Review. I read an article that actually defended the Resellers

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/03/coronavirus-there-is-no-such-thing-as-price-gouging/

He seems to miss the point. Raising the price of TP (and everything else, if my local grocer is an indication) might prevent absolute shortages, but it would be ruinous for the people who have a hard enough time buying things at their current price!

3 minutes ago, Sociotard said:

I get my "conservative side" news from National Review. I read an article that actually defended the Resellers

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/03/coronavirus-there-is-no-such-thing-as-price-gouging/

He seems to miss the point. Raising the price of TP (and everything else, if my local grocer is an indication) might prevent absolute shortages, but it would be ruinous for the people who have a hard enough time buying things at their current price!

It is a mistake that the European nobility made.

Shortages were for the poor, hardship was for the poor.

Until the shortages and hardships were enough to mean that they saw they had nothing to lose by rising against those who saw no shortages or hardship.

I think that our corporate masters have now had their worldview changed for long enough that they have forgotten what shortages or hardship are and feel more secure in their supremacy than they should.  It would not take a huge amount for people to move from suffering in silence to actively protesting to ultimately taking what they need.

I do not think coronavirus will be the trigger but something a little bit scarier where the death rate was increased and hit younger folk would raise fear enough that the social order that corporations rely on will not prevent us getting to the survival of the fittest (or most vicious).

Doc

1 hour ago, ScottishFox said:

I work for one of the big 3 Movie Theater chains in the US and we just closed all of our US based theaters as of today.

Reduced hours for everyone at corporate and we all know that the theater workers are going to get soaked (0 hours).  :(

Yup . Folks are getting hammered.

6 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

The positive PR and free publicity that company would have gained from just donating the schematics would have far outweighed any financial losses. Now they'll be known as heartless profiteers. Their marketing department must have been napping.

Nah, they probably share the same legal team as US Soccer.

5 minutes ago, Starlord said:

In the President's briefing this morning he said that they are currently testing their vaccine and having good success thanks to the initial testing that started in January. Thing I'm really confused about on that is that they only just isolated the virus, and the CDC is saying nothing about any sort of vaccine. I'm not entirely sure which parallel universe he's from, but I'm pretty sure that's not remotely true for our universe.

Just now, RPMiller said:

In the President's briefing this morning he said that they are currently testing their vaccine and having good success thanks to the initial testing that started in January. Thing I'm really confused about on that is that they only just isolated the virus, and the CDC is saying nothing about any sort of vaccine. I'm not entirely sure which parallel universe he's from, but I'm pretty sure that's not remotely true for our universe.

Even fast tracking things, a vaccine's a ways off.  Yes, there are vaccines in development.  It's not CDC, it's Allergies and Infectious Diseases.  Fauci's agency. 

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2237742-how-soon-will-we-have-a-coronavirus-vaccine-the-race-against-covid-19/

And this:

https://nypost.com/2020/03/18/chinas-first-coronavirus-vaccine-approved-for-clinical-trials/

What The Donald is talking about is probably this:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/17/health/coronavirus-vaccine-first-dose-participant/index.html

And the whole "we're getting great results" is pure Trump fantasy.  It's WAY too early to say anything.  

2 minutes ago, Sociotard said:

Is that from taxes?

yup. 

Office for National Statistics created this chart...

The price of fuel can be divided into three sections the cost of the fuel itself (which is made up of the wholesale price, the cost of distributing the fuel and fuel companies’ profit margins); fuel duty (which is charged at a fixed rate of 57.95 pence per litre); and VAT. VAT is charged at 20% of the wholesale price plus the duty, which equates to 16.7% of the final price.

Under normal market conditions, only a fraction of the cost of a litre of petrol ends up in the coffers of fuel retailers. For petrol, at its current average price of £1.04 per litre, just over 72% of the price will go to the exchequer in fuel duty and in Value Added Tax (VAT), leaving only around 28% of ‘wriggle room’ for cutting the price to consumers when the price of crude oil falls.

image.png.15ef8a495e3b028b4c9d120fc995d88c.png

I will stop now as this has *nothing* to do with coronavirus...

22 minutes ago, Doc Democracy said:

Damn you!  Currently £1.25 per litre here (or $1.47 in US terms)

It hovered at around $2.60 per gallon for awhile up until a few days ago.  Also, prices differ by state.  I'm in Ohio, it might still be a great deal more than that in states with a higher cost of living like California.

According to that site, Nevada is averaging $2.80 per gallon, and I believe that my last fill-up was somewhere around $2.50 a gallon after the loyalty card discount from Smith's/Kroger. I usually fill up about once a month, and a typical fill is about 8 1/2 gallons*.

Part of the issue is that the Marathon Refinery in California caught fire several weeks ago, and so gas supplies are a bit tighter in the West.

*I love my Prius.

13 minutes ago, Cancer said:

So, supposedly we're being locked out at noon our time Friday.  Which will be hard for me, since I still have a final exam going at that moment.  Idiot panicking administrators not thinking through what should be going on.

Trapped with his slow-witted students, Cancer will then panic.