Coronavirus

Steve

With this many people infected, significant mutations were inevitable. It was just a matter of time.

On 12/23/2020 at 2:54 PM, archer said:

Former actor (and current preacher) Kirk Cameron is facing criticism for organizing at least two events in Southern California in recent weeks, where dozens of mask-less people stood shoulder-to-shoulder to sing Christmas carols in protest of state and local stay-at-home mandates.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/23/entertainment/kirk-cameron-protests/index.html

The Addams Family had the best response to this sort of thing.
https://youtu.be/-ssFIdAd3_M?t=30

Fauci is now saying that we could need to reach 90% in order to reach herd immunity threshold. He acknowledges that he's intentionally moving the goalposts. 

So now he's saying what I was saying in March. 

(Where's the honor in my own country? Or even the profit?)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9085761/Fauci-claims-90-herd-immunity-COVID-deaths-57k-month.html

12 hours ago, tkdguy said:

Just when we've developed a vaccine, a new strain appears. :( 

Not necessarily a problem. From what I've read, coronavirus doesn't mutate as rapidly as influenza, and would need to mutate pretty radically to affect how these vaccines target it. Infectious disease experts still sound confident that vaccines will be as effective against these new strains.

Of course whether that confidence is justified remains to be proven, but it would be premature to worry overmuch over the prospect.

12 hours ago, tkdguy said:

Just when we've developed a vaccine, a new strain appears. :( 

I’ve been following these developments. I’m not up to speed on the Nigerian mutant, but the other two are not thought to have mutated in a way that would reduce the effectiveness of the vaccines. That’s based on the genetics and proteins of course, there is no actual evidence for or against it yet. Zombie apocalypse cannot be completely ruled out. 

Yes. The two new strains previously identified are suspected of being more contagious, just from how they're configured, although that's not proven yet. The Nigerian one doesn't look to be more infectious. I've also read research suggesting coronavirus contagiousness may be inversely proportional to lethality.

The Duke women's basketball team has had a long, sustained run of success...but not this year.  The team voted to not play due to the stress of the Covid-19 protocols, the first such basketball program to do so after trying to start.  (The Ivy League shut down winter sports before the season.)  I don't expect they'll be the last such.  

A little fact from the Buffalo vs. Marshall bowl game...local regulations covering Marshall's campus have meant they haven't been home since May.  For college kids?  Ugh, that's got to be brutal for some of em.

19 minutes ago, Ragitsu said:

We need those nanomachines.

We have what we need. We just can't get it out to the public as fast as we'd like.

But these vaccines are an outstanding example of what scientific research can produce with extraordinary speed, when there's enough will and public support behind it. If we'd devoted the same focus to global warming when the alarms were first raised, climate change would be coming over centuries instead of decades.

20 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

We have what we need. We just can't get it out to the public as fast as we'd like.

But these vaccines are an outstanding example of what scientific research can produce with extraordinary speed, when there's enough will and public support behind it. If we'd devoted the same focus to global warming when the alarms were first raised, climate change would be coming over centuries instead of decades.

<optimisitic>If we focused on environmental remediation as much as we do war, we may be able to reverse some or even all of that anthropogenic climate change; forget carbon neutral...I'm thinking carbon negative.</optimistic>

Still, if we could perfect even basic medical nanomachines, we could clamp down on communicable diseases at an astoundingly quick rate.