Coronavirus

Steve

Ohhhhhhhhhhh no..........

Obviously the news of the day was the events in DC...so many of you might've missed this.

From WorldOMeters today:  4100 dead, 260,000 new cases.  First time we've exceeded 4000 deaths, only the 3rd time over 250,000 new cases.  Both are new daily highs...and the deaths, by a very large margin, I'm very sorry to say.  I believer the prior high was about 3750.

And the US had a full 1/3 of all new cases in the world.

2 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Ohhhhhhhhhhh no..........

Obviously the news of the day was the events in DC...so many of you might've missed this.

From WorldOMeters today:  4100 dead, 260,000 new cases.  First time we've exceeded 4000 deaths, only the 3rd time over 250,000 new cases.  Both are new daily highs...and the deaths, by a very large margin, I'm very sorry to say.  I believer the prior high was about 3750.

And the US had a full 1/3 of all new cases in the world.

I saw that. I’m just curious as to whether this increase is due to the London variant taking hold... or whether things will get even worse when the London variant takes hold. 

5 hours ago, Cancer said:

Is this an echo of Christmas and/or New Year's spreading parties?

Absolutely.  Rates are approaching where they were back in June when we locked everything down hard, and the mayor was promising to lock things down again if people didn't behave.  Problem now is that we elected a pro-business "independent" for mayor and I'd actually expect him to relax restrictions further.

3 hours ago, unclevlad said:

You are.  We all know you're actually Daffy.

Daffy was banned for life from Disneyland. Donald Duck provoked him into a fistfight (ducks have fists?) and lost.

In case anyone objects to my last post, I must say that absurdist humor is one of my main coping strategies.

5 minutes ago, Starlord said:

Is it just me or does Operation Warp Speed feel more like half-impulse?

Johnson & Johnson has fallen behind on production of its Covid-19 vaccine.

The company had originally pledged to deliver 12 million doses by the end of February. But Johnson & Johnson has since warned officials that it could take until the end of April to catch up to its original projections.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/01/13/johnson-johnson-vaccine-production-458941

But to be fair to the vaccine companies, a lot of the problems has been things like lack of needles which can get the 6-7 doses out of a bottle instead of 5. And lack of trained personnel to administer the vaccine to people.

That kind of thing could have been addressed by the administration well in advance. But wasn't.

And Trump's promise that he would have the military ready with equipment and a plan to distribute and administer the vaccine was all just hot air, as I pointed out months ago.

If you don't order the equipment or train the personnel or publish a plan to disperse the trained personnel across the country, obviously there wasn't any real plan being put into place.