Coronavirus

Steve

8 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Is the parking for major college football stadiums really that limited? I'm no afficionado of the sport, but those stadiums look huge, and they're often pretty full. Parking logistics have to have been taken into account.

It's usually much smaller than what you'd see at a professional venue.

First off a sizable portion of the gate lives on campus so that's within walking distance. And if you're a guest of a student, you probably don't park at the stadium. You park near their dorm in guest parking and walk from somewhere on campus also. 

Since for vaccination sites you want the parking capable of a steady flow with minimal walking involved, college campus locations are less than ideal.

Plus many of these on campus stadiums are in use while classes are being held. The football stadium is used by men's and women's track in many cases. PE classes and intermural sports are also held there. The stadiums on many campuses are in use for most of the day. Whereas the NFL stadiums are just empty unless some exhibition or concert is scheduled and most of those are cancelled this past year.

South Africa has suspended plans to inoculate its front-line health care workers with the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine after a small clinical trial suggested that it isn’t effective in preventing mild to moderate illness from the variant dominant in the country.

South Africa received its first 1 million doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine last week and was expected to begin giving jabs to health care workers in mid-February. The disappointing early results indicate that an inoculation drive using the AstraZeneca vaccine may not be useful.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/02/07/south-africa-astrazeneca-466996

So I had an in-person Cincy VA medical appt today and they were doing 70 and over Covid vaccinations.  Due to the massive amount of snow that got dumped on SW Ohio last night, they were several no-shows.  As they now had extra vaccines leftover for the day, someone stopped me as I was going out and asked if I wanted vaccinated.  Long story short, I got my first dose of Moderna vaccine today and my return appt. is March 10th.  To quote the famous philosopher Ice Cube, "I guess it was a good day."  :)

1 hour ago, Starlord said:

So I had an in-person Cincy VA medical appt today and they were doing 70 and over Covid vaccinations.  Due to the massive amount of snow that got dumped on SW Ohio last night, they were several no-shows.  As they now had extra vaccines leftover for the day, someone stopped me as I was going out and asked if I wanted vaccinated.  Long story short, I got my first dose of Moderns vaccine today and my return appt. is March 10th.  To quote the famous philosopher Ice Cube, "I guess it was a good day."  :)

I am out of likes, so I must like this manually. Please enjoy this handcrafted like. 

Lady P is on the PTSA for my daughter's school. She got a call from them a couple of days ago saying that the school's allotment of the Moderna vaccine is sufficient that she can get vaccinated if she wants to.

She jumped on the opportunity, of course.

I'm going in for my second dose tomorrow.

4 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Lady P is on the PTSA for my daughter's school. She got a call from them a couple of days ago saying that the school's allotment of the Moderna vaccine is sufficient that she can get vaccinated if she wants to.

She jumped on the opportunity, of course.

I'm going in for my second dose tomorrow.

Did you have any side effects from the first dose?

5 hours ago, Old Man said:

The daily death toll in the US might finally have started to drop.  Still up around a 9/11 per day though, and we'll probably reach half a million next weekend.

It's incredible how there can be that many dead and we just don't see it in the news. 

Focus on the impeachment proceedings aside, I'd put it down to message discipline from the current administration (and the acknowledgement there's an actual problem).

Previous administration kept insisting "nothing to see here, go about your business/life as normal" and the media kept pointing at the rising death toll.

Current administration talks about vaccination plans and the media focuses on the possibility there may be a light at the end of the tunnel.

On 2/11/2021 at 3:19 PM, Starlord said:

Did you have any side effects from the first dose?

I was extremely fatigued for several days after getting the Moderna shot and had a knot larger than a baseball swell up on my arm at the injection site. The knot lasted about three days.

I'd highly recommend not getting vaccinated in your dominant arm.

7 minutes ago, archer said:

I was extremely fatigued for several days after getting the Moderna shot and had a knot larger than a baseball swell up on my arm at the injection site. The knot lasted about three days.

I'd highly recommend not getting vaccinated in your dominant arm.

Sorry to hear that.  I haven't had any symptoms from the first Moderna shot so far.

Other than a mild pain in my arm (non-dominant arm, TYVM), I had no side effects from the first shot. (Pfizer).

I got my second shot (also Pfizer) yesterday afternoon.  Woke up this morning with a mildly sore arm, minor headache, and a slightly upset stomach.

This afternoon (about 24 hours post-shot), I started to feel a bit worse, like a mild case of the flu.  Was running a 100F temp, took some ibuprofen.  Three hours later, I'm about where I was this morning.  We'll see what tonight brings. 

On 2/12/2021 at 6:27 PM, Tom said:

Current administration talks about vaccination plans and the media focuses on the possibility there may be a light at the end of the tunnel.

I too am encouraged by the change of tone with the new administration...but praying that the light at the end of the tunnel is not an oncoming train.  [ducks a punch]