Coronavirus

Steve

To quote the great sage Google, when asked "What is the price of liberty?":

What is the cost of liberty?
The annual list price to attend Liberty University on a full time basis for 2018/2019 is $40,977 for all students regardless of their residency.

2 hours ago, tkdguy said:

Yesterday I saw a report on the negative effects of distance learning on students.

I'm a teacher, but not a parent. For those of you who have kids, how are they coping with distance learning? What do they like and dislike about it?

I've been fortunate to have older kids who are self-directed enough to do distance learning without me having to participate.  But they don't like it, they get all of the work without any of the social interaction, and it's just harder to pay attention when the teacher is a small video and not in person.  I know a bunch of kids have just totally checked out of school for this last reason alone.  Activities are also drastically limited by what teachers can provide online.  For example, my kid's virtual biology labs suck compared to the real thing.  And zoom meetings, while a marvel of technological achievement, still kill any spontaneity in classroom discussions and make simple things like asking questions that much more difficult.

The flip side is that a lot of their teachers aren't handling the transition well either.  They manage to lose homework a lot--and this was such a problem that I've had to get personally involved on several occasions to 1) verify that the assignments are in fact being turned in and 2) get the school to get the teacher to catch up.  The best example is last semester's English teacher, who sent the final assignment from the wrong email address, causing it to bounce when my son turned it in.  Said teacher apparently thought nothing of the fact that 2/3 of his students failed to turn in their final assignment, either.  And then I had to spend a couple of weeks getting the school to fix my son's grade.

I really sympathize with teachers in general.  They have to completely rearchitect their curriculums to work remotely, and often it's flat out impossible.  And on top of that they have to contend with all kinds of technical glitches and constantly changing plans to go back to in-person or not, all while keeping their students engaged?  Not gonna happen.  It's just a sh--y situation all around.

2 hours ago, Cancer said:

My hope isn't that we get rid of it, but that it's simply reduced in transmissivity and lethality so it does become like a bad flu season...and, I might add, that'll probably mean regular vaccinations.

It's also possible that high-risk areas (hospitals, nursing homes) may retain mask requirements for a significant period of time.  Airport terminal workers might too, simply because they're in contact with *so many* people over the course of a day.  Passengers...in the terminal, in the plane?  Harder to say.  Sports events with normal, full capacity?  The pressure will be on to allow it, but obviously the environment is a very dangerous one.  People *will* screw up their mask protocols.

18 hours ago, tkdguy said:

Yesterday I saw a report on the negative effects of distance learning on students.

I'm a teacher, but not a parent. For those of you who have kids, how are they coping with distance learning? What do they like and dislike about it?

My son was fortunate enough to have only the last 3 months of his senior year of high school (class of 2020) screwed up by the onset of the pandemic.  He is self-directed enough that it was rarely a problem.  His school had also read the tea leaves and had been working on a distance learning program for some time, so they weren't caught as off-guard as they might have been otherwise.  Easily the hardest part of the whole thing was missing his friends.  Zoom and related online tools rose to the challenge of managing assignments, but there was just no substitute for mingling with his classmates.  His school did a food drive in May.  While masking and distancing protocols were in place, it was crystal clear that faculty and students alike rejoiced in actually seeing each other.

I ache for the Class of 2021, who are missing out on big parts of their whole senior year.  I can only imagine what it's like for younger kids too.

Australia and New Zealand both were affected by Covid outbreaks recently, which had some impact on the sports currently going on in those places. Victoria had a 5-day lockdown imposed. The Australian Open was allowed to continue, albeit without the audience. Crowds are being allowed back in today, just in time for the semifinals.

No such luck in Auckland, where the Prada Cup (formerly the Louis Vuitton Cup) has been going on. Races may be put on hold until after the final scheduled race day. If this happens, officials may award the win to Italy's Luna Rossa Prada Pirelli, which has a 4-0 ahead of Ineos Team UK.

I got my second COVID vaccination yesterday afternoon. I'm tired (exacerbated, no doubt, by my daughter waking up at 5:45 this morning for no readily apparent reason) and achy, and my left arm is pretty sore. But I don't have any of the really worrying side effects: no fever, sore throat, shortness of breath, or anything like that. So I'm good.

I'm grateful today for everyone whose hard work and sacrifice made this vaccine possible. This virus stole a year from us. Now we have a way to fight back.

On 2/17/2021 at 9:33 AM, Starlord said:

spacer.png

Do you know where this was taken? I have forgotten the name of her congregation, but one of my sisters is a L:utheran pastor and this woman seems to resemble her. She had been fine with protecting herself and everyone else with the proper precautions of masking and handwashing. She also disagrees with some of her Church Council because she thinks resuming in-person services is probably a mistake right now. This could cost her her parish, and will put her in a horrible financial position. So she stands up for principle, despite the risks involved.