Coronavirus

Steve

30 minutes ago, BarretWallace said:

It is my better half's opinion (and mine too, frankly) that this exact thing is a driving force behind the sudden reopening.

You and your better half are clearly intelligent, insightful people. :) 

13 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

From The Atlantic:

The Differences Between the Vaccines Matter

If you get the free articles exceeded banner, you can get rid of it with the element zapper in Ublock Origin or some similar plugin. It's just z-axis CSS layers, no real logic. Delete those, and read on.

One thing an expert on MSNBC has been emphasizing is that Pfizer and Moderna were testing against an earlier version of the virus than the later ones have been tested against. They might not be any more effective against the later versions of the virus than J&J or might even be less effective: there's not anyone on the planet that really knows unless Pfizer and Moderna is continuing to do testing that they're not telling anyone about. And I haven't seen any financial or governmental incentive for them to be doing that (it might be happening but I haven't read whispers about it).

My reaction to the first dose of Moderna was somewhat less than I'd been led to believe would be on the high end. And my reaction to my second dose was ten times worse than the first. I wasn't in danger of going to the hospital over it. But I also wasn't in any danger of being able to function normally for several days afterward. My wife had a pretty severe reaction to the first, more than I did. But my reaction to the second was far worse than hers.

I'm really glad I got Moderna rather than one of the others. But it wasn't easy or risk free.

I think that's one of those things where you can get a fast vaccine with side effects or you can get one to market after six, seven, or ten years that has side effects for almost no one.

54 minutes ago, archer said:

My reaction to the first dose of Moderna was somewhat less than I'd been led to believe would be on the high end. And my reaction to my second dose was ten times worse than the first. I wasn't in danger of going to the hospital over it. But I also wasn't in any danger of being able to function normally for several days afterward

That was exactly my experience with Moderna. Plus, the first dose symptoms didn't hit me for a couple of days, but after about six hours the symptoms from the second dose came on, and came on strong.

On 2/9/2021 at 3:23 PM, Starlord said:

So I had an in-person Cincy VA medical appt today and they were doing 70 and over Covid vaccinations.  Due to the massive amount of snow that got dumped on SW Ohio last night, they were several no-shows.  As they now had extra vaccines leftover for the day, someone stopped me as I was going out and asked if I wanted vaccinated.  Long story short, I got my first dose of Moderna vaccine today and my return appt. is March 10th.  To quote the famous philosopher Ice Cube, "I guess it was a good day."  :)

Got my 2nd dose about two hours ago. :thumbup:

One year ago this evening, the WHO declared Covid-19 a pandemic.  Socially, the NBA suspended its season due to positive tests. This was IMO the galvanizing act;  the NCAA followed the next day, and the Trump administration had their major press conference the day after.  

So for me, today is the anniversary;  it's been 1 year of trying to cope with the pandemic.

I think I'm going to try to find a candle or two to light tonight, for remembrance.

15 hours ago, Cancer said:

The second dose is a more adverse experience than the first, at least for me.  Much sorer arm, fever & chills, fatigue.  Enough to let me know that the first shot had indeed set up the immune system for life-and-death combat with the invader.

I had no symptoms from the first shot a month ago.  However, with this second one I had severe fatigue early this morning for a few hours, then mild flu-like conditions since then.  Slight fever, slight headache, etc.  Also, my upper arm is noticeably swollen.