Coronavirus

Steve

10 hours ago, Matt the Bruins said:

I got a surprise appointment for my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine today over my lunch break. If I develop any amazing super powers as a side effect you guys will be the first to know after my victims! 😈

Pro tip: I find that it's better that my victims don't know that it was my superpowers which were responsible.

Insert Florida joke here. 😖

Being stupid enough to allow a citywide superspreader event to be held during a pandemic, of course they were too stupid to anticipate this would happen. I'd say Miami Beach deserves what it gets, except their swarms of patrons will now play Typhoid Mary to the rest of us.

Funny...many threads discussing movies, TV, etc. bemoan the "unrealistic" portrayals of people taking clearly stupid actions given the meta realities of the movie.

It seems more like any group of half a dozen or more people all taking rational action in the face of clear and obvious danger would be unrealistic.

12 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Insert Florida joke here. 😖

Being stupid enough to allow a citywide superspreader event to be held during a pandemic, of course they were too stupid to anticipate this would happen. I'd say Miami Beach deserves what it gets, except their swarms of patrons will now play Typhoid Mary to the rest of us.

You can be as vigilant and as careful as you can be in Florida with masking and social distancing -- you can still get it. :(

4 hours ago, Hugh Neilson said:

Funny...many threads discussing movies, TV, etc. bemoan the "unrealistic" portrayals of people taking clearly stupid actions given the meta realities of the movie.

It seems more like any group of half a dozen or more people all taking rational action in the face of clear and obvious danger would be unrealistic.

We differ from most herd/swarm animals on this planet, in being smart individually and collectively stupid.

But recognize that all the businesses have the money from everyone staying there.  Had they said "no we can't allow this" in advance, that money would've never arrived.

And the cost burden for these new cases is largely going to be borne elsewhere, because they won't express until AFTER they return from whence they came.

So the economic argument is, what's a few hundred additional local cases compared to, what, $50M or whatever in tourism revenues?

Or am I being too cynical here?

5 hours ago, unclevlad said:

But recognize that all the businesses have the money from everyone staying there.  Had they said "no we can't allow this" in advance, that money would've never arrived.

And the cost burden for these new cases is largely going to be borne elsewhere, because they won't express until AFTER they return from whence they came.

So the economic argument is, what's a few hundred additional local cases compared to, what, $50M or whatever in tourism revenues?

Or am I being too cynical here?

Exactly.  Given the 1.5% fatality rate, a few hundred cases translates to merely a handful of immediate deaths, plus further casualties due to exponential spread.  Call it fifty total dead, that's $1M per kill.