Coronavirus

Steve

2 hours ago, archer said:

So J&J is like the Schlitz of vaccines.

Man...I don't think that's quite fair.  Their vaccine doesn't reduce case numbers as much as the others but it does a VERY good job at mitigating infections so hospitalization (and obviously dying) isn't happening.  I mean, Schlitz isn't bottom of the barrel, it's barrel scrapings.  And they did it to themselves, way back when.  

(for the curious, an interesting story about How to Destroy a Brand is here:  https://beerconnoisseur.com/articles/how-milwaukees-famous-beer-became-infamous)

16 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Man...I don't think that's quite fair.  Their vaccine doesn't reduce case numbers as much as the others but it does a VERY good job at mitigating infections so hospitalization (and obviously dying) isn't happening.

I'd have been more than happy to take the J&J  vaccine myself if it had been the first available, as I don't have major concerns about riding out and recovering from standard flu-level symptoms if I should suffer them. But my mom's about to turn 82, and I feel much better about her having taken one of the vaccines that's ~95% effective at warding off all symptoms. I don't want to risk her feeling weak and woozy and falling in the bathtub, or anything similar.

1 hour ago, Matt the Bruins said:

But my mom's about to turn 82, and I feel much better about her having taken one of the vaccines that's ~95% effective at warding off all symptoms.

I read an article on this. The long and short of it is that the J&J vaccine was tested in different areas (and is effective against the S. African strain, as that's an area it was tested in) and was tested during a spike period, whereas the Pfizer and Moderna were tested during lulls in cases. So, the efficacy rates for preventing infection are not apples to apples, since the conditions were different.  However, it's a much closer comparison to look at the number of cases where there was an infection, and what the result was, which is where all the vaccines perform very well, and on par with each other, with none of them having had a serious case or hospitalization in a vaccinated person. That's why authorities are saying just get the first one you can get. Because they're all equal in the only way we can reliably compare them.

There are a lot of people who have made appointments to get the vaccine, then they cancel for some reason. Since the vaccine cannot be kept, it is destroyed. There's a website that alerts people on a waiting list so it doesn't go to waste. I heard about if from my sisters. I signed up for it today and passed it on to my friends.

https://www.hidrb.com/

Around here we've seen a lot of people 'vaccine shopping'. They schedule an appointment wherever they can get one, the schedule another when ine becomes available. Sadly, they don't generally bother to conceal the first one. As we have people waiting for appointments that could be available, if they (and the providers) only knew.

2 hours ago, Pariah said:

Around here we've seen a lot of people 'vaccine shopping'. They schedule an appointment wherever they can get one, the schedule another when ine becomes available. Sadly, they don't generally bother to conceal the first one. As we have people waiting for appointments that could be available, if they (and the providers) only knew.

I discovered the hard way that, at least here, it is extraordinarily hard to cancel a vaccine appointment. There’s no ‘cancel’ button on the website. 

6 minutes ago, archer said:

NJ gym owner who defied restrictions offering free memberships for people who don't get vaccinated.

https://www.fox5ny.com/news/nj-gym-owner-who-defied-covid-closure-offering-free-membership-for-non-vaxxers

“Evil isn’t the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it’s a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference.”
                                                                                        ― Jim Butcher, Vignette

My neighborhood app just proved its worth big time.  One of the 2 local hospitals announced a fairly significant free vaccination event;  news of it got posted onto the app.

Next Wednesday for the first shot.  Fortunately NOT Thursday;  that seems like tempting fate just a bit too much.......

Now I have to think of an appropriate celebratory dinner.