Coronavirus

Steve

On 3/27/2021 at 11:58 AM, Simon said:

Set for the first dose of Moderna on Tuesday.  Second dose April 27...which means both my wife and I will be fully vaccinated in time for some anniversary celebrations in May.

Slight change in plans - originally was scheduled in a location about 2 hours from me, but got a call from our local hospital saying that they can get me in on Friday...for the J&J vaccine.  That'll get me fully vaccinated about a week ahead of my wife, so I've got that going for me...which is nice.

21 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

It's happening in Canada, too. New cases in Ontario are reaching levels rivaling before the last lockdown. British Columbia just instituted new lockdown measures for public gatherings for the next three weeks. New variants of COVID-19 -- mostly B117 first identified in the UK -- now account for 67% of new infections.

The week before Easter...

We need to start imposing serious penalties for the SuperSpreader Social Events, rather than yoyo closures for the organizations that the spread does not trace back to.

27 minutes ago, Old Man said:

And 550,000 dead.  Though that's less than the 600k I was projecting for this time six weeks back.

Incidentally 550k is approaching the population of cities like Portland or Las Vegas. 

The death rate's dropped considerably.  6 weeks ago would be mid-February;  it was about 2500 a day.  Checking today, it's dipped just slightly below 1000.  Once the vaccine rollout started in earnest, the daily numbers were pretty much bound to come down, as long as the vaccines were reasonably good.  

Barret:  no uptick is good, but as restrictions are eased, new cases will tend back up.  But hopefully, so will business activity.  The issue everywhere is the balance between those factors, and for sure, that's a very tricky proposition.  How low is Low Enough to lift some restrictions that exist at that point?  And granularity is important here.  New Mexico's rate has been dropping consistently;  many counties are showing VERY low per capita rates, and low positive test result rates.

My arm hasn't fallen off, no extra heads and no superpowers. Rats! I was really hoping for superpowers. Of course, I'd probably get something like telepathically talking to fish...

Although, now that I think about it, if that ability came with a body like Jason Mamoa I could go for it.

Right now, I look like Thor........in Avengers Endgame.

12 minutes ago, Lee said:

My arm hasn't fallen off, no extra heads and no superpowers. Rats! I was really hoping for superpowers. Of course, I'd probably get something like telepathically talking to fish...

Although, now that I think about it, if that ability came with a body like Jason Mamoa I could go for it.

"My body is a temple: ancient, crumbling, probably cursed."

I think Rocket described my body perfectly in the same movie. "[I] look like melted ice cream."

Well the side effects are starting to kick in. A couple of hours ago I started feeling feverish and right after I got pretty severe chills, although they're getting better. The fatigue is kicking in, too. My arm's sore (no worse than the first one, though). I'd give anything to not be here at work. I'm going to ask my boss if I can go home (he's really cool about things like that). But I also had a doctor's appointment (my regular checkup) today, too. I'm waiting to hear back from them to see if I should reschedule or not.

It sucks, but at least it's doing what it's supposed to be doing.

Just thought that some of you that haven't had either shot or just the first one might like some more info on what it's like the second time around.

5 hours ago, Simon said:

"My body is a temple: ancient, crumbling, probably cursed."

In other words, a typical American teenager....?

So I GOT SHOT!!!

Didn't feel a thing.  Didn't even bleed, the RN didn't even give me a band-aid....or a sucker.......

REALLY nice, tho.  The local hospital had it nicely arranged, about 4 people administering shots, less than 10 minutes to get through the line, probably more like 5.  The longest part was, they had everyone wait for 15 minutes before leaving, just to ensure there were no Particularly Bad reactions.  I had my Kindle with me.

I'm glad I wasn't planning serious yard work, I will say.  Notable soreness now, at 5+ hours post-shot, at the injection site.  I can live with that.

To celebrate...fresh chicken and garlic pasta, which I usually avoid like the plague due to carbs...gonna be tossing the rump roast into the pressure cooker for shredding, and serve a nice dollop on the side, and a salad.  And a bottle of wine.   Mmmm....

Lady P got her first dose (Moderna) yesterday. One of the local arenas is dispensing them in the parking lot. They have a small army of people (including some uniformed National Guard personnel) directing traffic, taking care of paperwork, and administering the vaccine. It's impressive.

On 3/31/2021 at 5:51 AM, Lee said:

I can Telepathically talk to fish! They just ignore me....Jerks!