Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fever broke last night. I'm going to be okay.

I tested positive.

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, Cygnia said:

166519231_4560949200600251_7831189904746

 

I've come across enough online porn to believe this would actually do it for some people.

 

4 minutes ago, Ragitsu said:

 

Your favorite pasta dish?

 

Just in case that's a serious question: current president of Brazil, and a massive denier of the severity of COVID-19, who has botched his country's response to the pandemic. That it's this bad in Brazil now comes as a surprise to no one.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, how nice.

Arm was sore all evening, much of the morning...altho the aftermath of last night's indulgences (the wine was quite pleasant) kinda distracted me...but now, I can elevate it and barely feel anything.  

 

On Brazil:  no, in many ways it's not a surprise at all.  It's just seeing it's gotten SO bad is still disturbing.  They're over 300,000 dead now...recorded.  And I'd bet most experts would say, Brazil's undercounting.  The Brazilian health care system's been overwhelmed.  It is a complete disaster down there.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The official leadership handbook for my Church was recently updated with the following language:

 

“Vaccinations administered by competent medical professionals protect health and preserve life....Members of the Church are encouraged to safeguard themselves, their children, and their communities through vaccination.”

 

For whatever bizarre reason, some members of the Church have been foregoing vaccinations of any type for 'religious reasons'. To have the Church come out with a statement like this is kind of a big deal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

Just in case that's a serious question: current president of Brazil, and a massive denier of the severity of COVID-19, who has botched his country's response to the pandemic. That it's this bad in Brazil now comes as a surprise to no one.

 

I may live under a rock, but this hovel has Wi-Fi :snicker:.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Update: I stayed home from work yesterday (4/1). I was feeling pretty bad and running a fever of 100°F. But by the late afternoon it had dropped just about 99°F and was normal by that evening. I feel pretty good, now. I just had one bad day and even it wasn't too bad (I've had worse with just the Flu). So, all things considered it wasn't too bad.

 

Now I just need to figure out how many points of Life Support I now have...

Link to post
Share on other sites

The side effects on the vaccines seem so random. I'm 55 and reasonably fit (I run 5k a few times a week), and just got a mildly sore area and exhaustion for one day. My friend who is 35 and working on hitting Olympic qualifying times for running got shivering, sweating, and severe body aches (plus exhaustion). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Dr.Device said:

The side effects on the vaccines seem so random. I'm 55 and reasonably fit (I run 5k a few times a week), and just got a mildly sore area and exhaustion for one day. My friend who is 35 and working on hitting Olympic qualifying times for running got shivering, sweating, and severe body aches (plus exhaustion). 

Side effects are based on the body's immune response to the vaccine, so they're not going to necessarily track with physical fitness or age (though the latter may factor in).  If someone has had the virus previously or simply has a strong immune response in general, they're going to experience more/stronger side effects.  It's why the second shot of the 2 dose vaccines give stronger side effects.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Shot #1 (Moderna) is in the books. No significant side effects (for good or ill) so far. I'm feeling fatigued but that might just be because the mochachino I made myself this morning has worn off. I also have a weird taste in my mouth but it's probably unrelated,

Link to post
Share on other sites

With classical vaccines, another issue is, it's hard to keep the potency consistent.  You want the viruses to be, shall we say, on death's door;  they don't stir up much trouble, they just activate the watchdog aspect of the immune system, and they're easily and promptly dumped into the sewers.  But sometimes they're just stunned;  they wake up as the immune guards are coming by, and get Hostile.

 

With these vaccines, AFAIK, it wouldn't be the same;  they're not full viruses.  But it wouldn't surprise me that something very similar could happen, *particularly* given that this is being produced as fast as it possibly can be.  (With that occasional OOPS, like when 15M J&J shots had to be tossed.)

 

Yah...I happened to notice my indoor tomato plant was a wee bit saggy...that's mostly from weight, the thing's growing NICE and BIG! and I'm hoping for quite a few luscious little red balls of joy later on.  (Or whatever color...I have no idea what variety these seeds are from, and I use several fancier types commonly.)  So, hmm, ok, it's going thru water faster at this point.  Filled my bigger jug with maybe a gallon and a half, so...about 10 pounds.  Tested the sore arm by lifting it?  No reaction whatsoever.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Simon said:

Side effects are based on the body's immune response to the vaccine, so they're not going to necessarily track with physical fitness or age (though the latter may factor in).  If someone has had the virus previously or simply has a strong immune response in general, they're going to experience more/stronger side effects.  It's why the second shot of the 2 dose vaccines give stronger side effects.

 

 

And yet I hear from people who had significant side effects from the first dose of their vaccine, with little to no effects from the second dose. Biology seems to have more random factors than can be conveniently accounted for.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A friend on The Book Of Face posted something like "I'm happy I was able to make it through work today. This COVID vaccine is kicking my butt!"

 

Someone responded with, "Why didn't you get it in the arm like everyone else?"

 

(No, it wasn't me.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

With classical vaccines, another issue is, it's hard to keep the potency consistent.  You want the viruses to be, shall we say, on death's door;  they don't stir up much trouble, they just activate the watchdog aspect of the immune system, and they're easily and promptly dumped into the sewers.  But sometimes they're just stunned;  they wake up as the immune guards are coming by, and get Hostile.

 

With these vaccines, AFAIK, it wouldn't be the same;  they're not full viruses.  But it wouldn't surprise me that something very similar could happen, *particularly* given that this is being produced as fast as it possibly can be.  (With that occasional OOPS, like when 15M J&J shots had to be tossed.)

 

Yah...I happened to notice my indoor tomato plant was a wee bit saggy...that's mostly from weight, the thing's growing NICE and BIG! and I'm hoping for quite a few luscious little red balls of joy later on.  (Or whatever color...I have no idea what variety these seeds are from, and I use several fancier types commonly.)  So, hmm, ok, it's going thru water faster at this point.  Filled my bigger jug with maybe a gallon and a half, so...about 10 pounds.  Tested the sore arm by lifting it?  No reaction whatsoever.

Um...that's not how vaccines work.  At all.


They are not live versions of the virus.  They are not "near dead" versions of the virus.  They are utterly benign replicas that teach the immune system.  You can have a massive overdose of a vaccine and not contract the virus.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Simon said:

Um...that's not how vaccines work.  At all.


They are not live versions of the virus.  They are not "near dead" versions of the virus.  They are utterly benign replicas that teach the immune system.  You can have a massive overdose of a vaccine and not contract the virus.

 

Sometimes yes, sometimes NO.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/downloads/prinvac.pdf

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

mRNA vaccines are even more interesting, as they cause the victim's cells to produce the foreign protein--so they make the body make the vaccine, as it were. 

 

After the pandemic mRNA is likely to be a game changer for all sorts of congenital diseases.  Any condition where your body doesn't create enough of some protein or other, mRNA can probably treat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Simon said:

Never any form of active virus...unless you go back to the early 1900s. Modern era vaccines have exactly zero active/actual virus/contagion 

 

From p. 5 of the CDC PDF that unclevlad linked to: "Currently available live attenuated viral vaccines are measles, mumps, rubella, vaccinia, varicella, zoster (which contains the same virus as varicella vaccine but in much higher amount), yellow fever, rotavirus, and influenza (intranasal). Oral polio vaccine is a live viral vaccine but is no longer available in the United States. Live attenuated bacterial vaccines are bacille Calmette-Guérin (BCG—not currently available in the US) and oral typhoid vaccine."

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

 

From p. 5 of the CDC PDF that unclevlad linked to: "Currently available live attenuated viral vaccines are measles, mumps, rubella, vaccinia, varicella, zoster (which contains the same virus as varicella vaccine but in much higher amount), yellow fever, rotavirus, and influenza (intranasal). Oral polio vaccine is a live viral vaccine but is no longer available in the United States. Live attenuated bacterial vaccines are bacille Calmette-Guérin (BCG—not currently available in the US) and oral typhoid vaccine."

 

Was the oral polio vaccine the one that they dripped onto a sugar cube and gave to you telling you that it was going to be sweet? Because that one was actively nasty.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...