Coronavirus

Steve

9 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

From p. 5 of the CDC PDF that unclevlad linked to: "Currently available live attenuated viral vaccines are measles, mumps, rubella, vaccinia, varicella, zoster (which contains the same virus as varicella vaccine but in much higher amount), yellow fever, rotavirus, and influenza (intranasal). Oral polio vaccine is a live viral vaccine but is no longer available in the United States. Live attenuated bacterial vaccines are bacille Calmette-Guérin (BCG—not currently available in the US) and oral typhoid vaccine."

It’s important to understand what “attenuated “ means - it’s not a virus that is near death but otherwise normal. It’s a virus that has been genetically modified to replicate its form but to remove pathogenicity - you’re not going to get the flu from the flu vaccine, and you’re not going to get COVID from any of the COVID vaccines (none of which are that form).

of the three that are currently approved in the US, two use mRNA (very new tech that teaches the body’s own cells to produce the markers that will create an immune response in the body) and J&J uses genetically modified common cold cells to create non-pathogenic spiked proteins, fulfilling the same purpose.

turns out I had a “strong immune response” to J&J - about 12 hours after the shot, body aches, puked up everything I’ve eaten since high school, full body tremors, and (interestingly) pretty strong pain in the sciatic nerve where it runs over the flare of the hip

bone (I historically have pain there from scoliosis at L4-L5....the reason I’m a serial kilter and no longer own any pants).  Symptoms lasted about 2-3 hours...cleared up entirely by morning (now)

Also, just to head off any other misunderstandings: the reason people with weakened immune systems should not be vaccinated is not because they'll catch COVID, or the flu, or whatever the vaccine is looking to prevent (again, that's physically impossible in modern-era vaccines).  The vaccine is genetically modified to remove pathogenicity, but to still retain replication abilities -- that's what triggers the body's immune response and trains the immune system to recognize the virus (or bacteria) going forward.  If you have a compromised immune system, your body may not be able to keep up with the replication, putting you in a prolonged/continual state of fighting off the non-pathogenic vaccine -- the virus (or bateria) replicates as fast or faster than your body can get rid of it.  You're not going to get the virus, but you're going to have those side effects of an immune response on an on-going basis until your body manages to catch up.

1 hour ago, Cygnia said:

North American pro sports have largely been fairly lucky, but this looks to be the first major exception that I can recall.  Marlins had that slew of positives that led to their being shut down just as the 2020 baseball season started, but this is, I think, worse on the numbers...and worse on severity.  Several players have been described as being in "rough shape";  ESPN is saying severe fatigue and dehydration.  No hospitalizations reported at this time.

1 hour ago, Pattern Ghost said:

The spacing timing isn't that critical. One week won't make a difference in the end result.

The troubling thing was that the pharmacy chain didn't make the decision on the basis of looking at the CDC recommendations but rather their own convenience.

On 4/4/2021 at 1:13 PM, Cygnia said:

On 4/4/2021 at 2:57 PM, unclevlad said:

North American pro sports have largely been fairly lucky, but this looks to be the first major exception that I can recall.  Marlins had that slew of positives that led to their being shut down just as the 2020 baseball season started, but this is, I think, worse on the numbers...and worse on severity.  Several players have been described as being in "rough shape";  ESPN is saying severe fatigue and dehydration.  No hospitalizations reported at this time.

I don't know how well-su[pported it is, but I hear talking heads offer the possibility of shutting down the 'Nucks for the rest of the 2021 season and hope they can get healthy for 2021-22. They've alrready missed two weeks, they are well out of the postseason picture, and it may be another few weeks before they can dress 18 skaters and two goalies with NHL experience or talent. But this has not happened in an otherwise-solvent league for nearly a sentury in North America. Historically , shutting down before the end of the year has led to teams not returning at all; it frequently happens in new and unestablished leagues as the enterprise begins to fail. The NHL wishes to avoid that, but there have been no hockey activity in nearly two weeks as the practice and training facilities are locked down.

Oh, and since everyone is proudly displaying their battle scars needle marks, I got my vaccine this morning. J&J, single dose needed. I got it at about 10:00am today.  No major effects yet, though, I have yet to go to sleep and have no idea what I'll feel like in the morning. I remember my last flu shot gave me some frightening symptoms for a way, which soon passed.