Coronavirus

Steve

10 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

I don't know how well-su[pported it is, but I hear talking heads offer the possibility of shutting down the 'Nucks for the rest of the 2021 season and hope they can get healthy for 2021-22. They've alrready missed two weeks, they are well out of the postseason picture, and it may be another few weeks before they can dress 18 skaters and two goalies with NHL experience or talent. But this has not happened in an otherwise-solvent league for nearly a sentury in North America. Historically , shutting down before the end of the year has led to teams not returning at all; it frequently happens in new and unestablished leagues as the enterprise begins to fail. The NHL wishes to avoid that, but there have been no hockey activity in nearly two weeks as the practice and training facilities are locked down.

The NHL won't shut them down until it's basically a fait accompli.  Story today is they're hoping for mid to late next week.  They're like every league:  desperate to get as much of the schedule played as possible.  Even if any given game or set of games is fundamentally non-competitive.

That said, this NHL season is by far the most distorted, competitively, because they created a completely new set of divisions and far more importantly:  all games are between division opponents.  So, yes...in the divisions with 8 teams, each will match up 8 times.  This was done because of Canadian border crossing rules.  But, to make things worse:  there's only 7 Canadian teams.  So they're playing each other 9 times.  It also suggests that trying to squeeze in a bunch of makeup games might be hard.  (The regular season is set to end on May 8.)  And that, IMO, it probably won't distort choosing the teams to go into the playoffs from this division;  there should be enough of a track record anyway.

The British Columbian government might ultimately pull the plug, tho...
https://www.straight.com/covid-19-pandemic/april-7-coronavirus-update-bc-vancouver-almost-1000-new-cases-vancouver-canucks-update-and-more

If the government cracks down, it's possible this'd be the straw to break the camel's back, to me, and the rest of the season might be written off.  I'm still of the opinion that the NHL will bend over backwards to at least nominally fulfill contractual obligations, tho.

1 hour ago, Cygnia said:

Anti-vax fundies were protesting the venue where I got my shot this morning.

I may exercised my 1st amendment rights -- and my middle finger. 😇

I'm going to get my shot this afternoon, so I may have the chance to do the same.

I've just given notice at work today, so I've already done so figuratively.

5 hours ago, tkdguy said:

I'm going to get my shot this afternoon, so I may have the chance to do the same.

I've just given notice at work today, so I've already done so figuratively.

So when's your last day, if we may ask?  Giving notice doesn't per se imply a date.  I think I gave a couple months, to allow other people to pick up what I was doing.  

And give it...oh, a week to 10 days before your brain realizes It's Really Over.  THEN throw yourself (or get your friends/family to throw) the big retirement party.  Trust me, you're not mentally ready for that party that day.  Yeah, you're quite ready to have the *company* retirement party, but that's something quite different.  Hold off on that steak au poivre, grilled prawns, and 2002 Bordeaux for a week and your brain will be ready to fully savor it.

39 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

So when's your last day, if we may ask?  Giving notice doesn't per se imply a date.  I think I gave a couple months, to allow other people to pick up what I was doing.  

And give it...oh, a week to 10 days before your brain realizes It's Really Over.  THEN throw yourself (or get your friends/family to throw) the big retirement party.  Trust me, you're not mentally ready for that party that day.  Yeah, you're quite ready to have the *company* retirement party, but that's something quite different.  Hold off on that steak au poivre, grilled prawns, and 2002 Bordeaux for a week and your brain will be ready to fully savor it.

I'm planning to give it until the end of the month. I know the end of the school year would be better for my students, but I don't think I can last that long under the incoming director. I'm not retiring, just trying for something new. This job has held me back for too long.

I haven't sent my letter yet. Waiting for a call from the outgoing admin to see if I can get a transfer. But I'm thinking I'm just going to quit after all.

It's scary to be without a job at this time, but considering what I went through last time I worked under the incoming boss, I decided the mental anguish isn't worth it.

Edit: Just sent the letter. 

Our statewide mask mandate ended today because of reasons, but individual businesses and the like still have the right to require people to wear masks when they come in.

Specifically exempt from the end of the mandate are public schools. The State Board has decided that teachers and students must continue to wear masks in the schools until the end of the school year.

So naturally we have a bunch of parents planning to weaponize their children and send them to school without masks on Monday in protest. Which is stupid and pointless, because neither teachers nor administrators have any power or authority to change the directive from the state board. But we're the easiest target, so that's where the protesters are going.

I mentioned the issue to one of my classes last week. To my great relief, the large majority of the students seemed appalled by the idea that people would try to come to school without masks as a form of protest.

22 hours ago, rravenwood said:

Got my J&J vaccination this morning.  No protesters, thankfully, just a way-too-long line, but I got through it.  No side effects so far, but it's still early yet...

I was really feeling nothing for hours afterward, and even joked to my wife that they probably just slipped me some saline solution, but about 13 hours after the vaccination a sleeper wave of body aches crashed down on me.  A couple ibuprofen and a night's sleep later, and I'm about 85% better.  Despite the inconvenience, I'm glad my immune system is doin' its thing!

My school held Prom last night, with a couple of differences from previous years:

1) It was held outdoors on the football field;

2) Everyone was required to wear masks for the entire event; and

3) Everyone had to have a negative COVID-19 test within 48 hours of the event.

We've been doing a biweekly testing event for athletes and those in performing arts at my school since January. We expanded the testing on Friday morning to include Prom participants (who had to sign up and buy tickets in advance). I spent 7:00-11:30 Friday morning checking kids in for testing. We processed and tested almost 1500 kids that day.

2 hours ago, tkdguy said:

Not on topic, but I just want to thank everyone who supported my decision to leave my job. My family doesn't think it's a good idea at this time, and they may be right. But the die is cast, and there's no turning back now.

Leaving is a risk, there's no guarantees, but life is too short to work at a shitty job.  You're a better person and you deserve to work with better people.

That said, I was kind of hoping you would finally snap and start kicking people in the head.  There's a lot of people that need that particular service.