Coronavirus

Steve

Grabbed the India data for grins:

https://github.com/owid/covid-19-data/tree/master/public/data

Took the daily new cases for India from 1 March to yesterday...60 days total.  Computed 7 day average.  Then did week over week growth, e.g. (week 3 average)/(week 2 average) - 1, to get it expressed as a percentage.  

33% higher (March 14th over March 7th averages), then 67%, 51%, 40%, 71% (April 11th average over April 4th), 63%, 47%, 27% (April 29th over April 22nd...so some overlap with the week before)

So the rate of increase is slowing down, but it's still pretty darn high.  And obviously, that's a long, long way away from getting the outbreak even remotely contained again.  (If it ever was, in India.)

My niece had non-symptomatic COVID last year so she wasn't very high on the list to get vaccinated.

But she recently managed to get her first shot of the Pfizer vaccine.

And now I found out she and her significant other have COVID. She's got a relatively mild case. He had a more serious case and had to go to the emergency room at one point. But they both seem to have gotten as bad as they're going to get and are slowly getting better now. 

They live in southeastern Wisconsin so I suppose they have one of the variants that have been running wild in that part of the country.

The crisis in India has a fair bit of coverage in the NYT today.  A scary point:  the sheer pace of the outbreak there poses a serious concern:  that many cases --> a thriving ecosystem for the virus to continue mutating.

Another piece of disturbing news:  Fauci acknowledged that expert thinking is, herd immunity probably won't be reachable in the US.  Too many anti-vaxers.

Makes me think that, in addition to annual flu shots, we'll probably need intermittent covid shots too.  We won't be able to shut it down;  it'll be containment.

2 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Another piece of disturbing news:  Fauci acknowledged that expert thinking is, herd immunity probably won't be reachable in the US.  Too many anti-vaxers.

Okay, now I want to go out and start smacking people with a cricket bat. Someone restrain me before I have to have Lady P bail me out.

10 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Okay, now I want to go out and start smacking people with a cricket bat. Someone restrain me before I have to have Lady P bail me out.

I think I'll just contribute to your bail money gofundme.  And why a cricket bat?  Why not an axe, or...?

If a COVID vaccination has to become an annual ritual like a 'flu shot, that will be a minor inconvenience compared to where we are now. Eventually the shot will become normalized and most anti-vaxers will fall in line.

I suppose it's too much to hope that COVID will eliminate the rest of them from the gene pool.