Coronavirus

Steve

If the IHME throws out official counts of COVID deaths (which are problematic in certain authoritarian states) and instead uses excess death data, then after correcting for non-COVID effects, the actual fatality count from COVID-19 is almost exactly twice the official number.  That puts the US at over 900,000 dead and the world at almost 7 million.

spacer.png

900,000 is more than the entire population of San Francisco, and more than the total dead of all U.S. wars combined.

24 minutes ago, Old Man said:

If the IHME throws out official counts of COVID deaths (which are problematic in certain authoritarian states) and instead uses excess death data, then after correcting for non-COVID effects, the actual fatality count from COVID-19 is almost exactly twice the official number.  That puts the US at over 900,000 dead and the world at almost 7 million.

I can't decide if I should applaud...this appears to be the kind of detailed, professional analysis of the data that's been needed...or cry.  7 million....?

The tears are also because the deniers will reject this out of hand.

9 hours ago, unclevlad said:

I can't decide if I should applaud...this appears to be the kind of detailed, professional analysis of the data that's been needed...or cry.  7 million....?

The tears are also because the deniers will reject this out of hand.

7 million needless deaths.  It's literally so horrific it's incomprehensible.

There are bright spots, like how at least a few Western democracies held the virus at bay, or how mRNA tech was ready at exactly the right time to blunt the impact.  But 7 million is a lot of dead people.

21 minutes ago, death tribble said:

India surpasses 250,000 dead

No.  They passed 250,00 acknowledged.

Other than tracking to see if the outbreak is starting to be contained, India's reported numbers are pointless.  And even trying to use them to reflect shifts in the situation have to be done with a grain of salt.  Or perhaps a tablespoon.  Still, if the reported case rates drop greatly, it seems fair to expect the actual rates are dropping as well, so it's better than nothing.

2 hours ago, Hugh Neilson said:

Highly disappointed.  Pfizer shot one 2 days ago and nothing.  No developing armored carapace, no signs of a third eye...nothing.

Maybe it was a defective batch :(

Have you tried Telepathy with Fish? I got that one.....

1 minute ago, Lord Liaden said:

You could just have developed invulnerability. Try sticking your hand in a fire, or a wood-chipper.

Or just Immunity: One serious infectious agent?